Travels of the Fury

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by OrthmannJ, Sep 28, 2017.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

We've been having a lot of smoke here over the past three weeks or so due to the forest fires burning in our region. It's not a lot of fun to deal with on any level, but it has made for some dramatic sunsets. I was coming home the other day and took a detour to photograph the dramatic smoke rolling into the valley.
    I was using my phone, so they weren't able to capture the scene like I had hoped, but as I turned around I looked at the Fury and I thought, "well, that looks kinda cool..."

IMG_E1411.JPG IMG_E1417.JPG IMG_E1418.JPG IMG_E1409.JPG

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Our normally blue skies have been the same way with the California, Arizona winds here too. These skies remind me of growing up in Southern California in the late 60’s early ‘70s the black film would be on your car practically every morning from the smog.

3. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Very cool photos OrthmannJ. The b&w photos you took of the Fury next to the old house are my favorites but like these a lot also. Think your phone did a good job capturing the softness of the light.

4. OrthmannJ

Thanks everyone. I do really enjoy taking photographs. Sometimes they turn out good. Most of the times they don't. :meh:
    When they do turn out it usually has nothing to do with skill on my part, but instead pure luck. :rofl:

5. OrthmannJ

We went into town Friday evening to see if there was anyone cruising. We stopped by the Stop and Go for some ice cream.
    (you may have noticed. We like ice cream)

IMG_1805.JPG IMG_E1807.JPG

6. dadwagontruckster

dadwagontruckster Member

I'm glad you provided this link in your reply to my thread. Now I have to work later since I read through the 22 pages in one sitting, drooling over the pictures and picturing my future wagon adventures. I grew up in western PA and the likelihood of any one car lasting this many years, and actually being used regularly, it would have rusted away a couple times over. :( All the wagons my dad had were used up until they could no longer pass a safety inspection without extensive repairs (the frames rotted out).

These are the kinds of memories I want to make with my daughters. I fully expect my social media pages being overrun with tailgate picnic pictures. The 4 year old (as of tomorrow) is only really good for picking up stuff even though she has tried helping with projects on the TA and daily drivers. I let her steal screwdrivers to "fix" her bike and scooter. I did almost have a slight heart attack when I turned and saw her poking the screw driver in the valve stem hole on a tire. A quick redirection remedied any further issue.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  7. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Well, I finally took the time to go through your entire thread, and I've been slowly plodding through all the posts. There's too much to comment on, but what an amazing car with an even better story! It truly is exceedingly rare to see a nearly 60 year old family owned car passed down from generation to generation like that. The amount of memories your family has made (and continues to make) in your Fury is undoubtedly priceless and is something money just can't buy.

My condolences in regards to the loss of your grandparents though. I've already lost three of my four grandparents and I loved them all dearly, so I know how much of a loss that can be. But I know they'd be so proud of you in how you've taken care of their car and how you've carried on the family tradition. I'm so glad it doesn't just sit in the garage mostly unused. Cars are made to be used, and by you using it and loving it the way you do, you honour your grandparents' memory by doing so. So good on you! You've got my respect! :thumbs2:

But the Fury looks great with its new interior! I didn't know those seats had a silver strip in the middle like that though! They sure are sharp lookin', but blue is my favourite colour and I'm also a Mopar guy, so I'm a little biased. lol

But again, what an amazing car and what a story to go with it. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with such a great piece of family history! :)

Cheers.

OrthmannJ, annap01gt and fannie like this.
  8. OrthmannJ

Thanks for the kind words fellows, I appreciate it.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  9. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

awsome story love it !!!!!!

fannie likes this.
  10. ArnieM888

ArnieM888 Well-Known Member

Me too .... I have been plodding through the posts since I discovered this thread last week .... and it has been a most enjoyable plod .

Love the family history of all the generations and to have preserved the car all those years is remarkable .

So far I have made it to page 11 and post #151 .... it is like a good book that is hard to set down.

Thanks from Canada.

canada flag.JPG

fannie, OrthmannJ and WagonTheDog like this.
  11. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

sir i love what you've done with this post awesome job !!! the puppy the kids with the ice cream .sir you are just a cool as that fury is !!!

ArnieM888 and OrthmannJ like this.
  12. OrthmannJ

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

13. OrthmannJ

Sometime in the period of 1997-1998 I was involved in a fender bender of sorts in the High School parking lot. If I remember correctly we had a game that day so I wasn't going straight to practice after school. Instead I was heading home. I was hurrying to leave (which was the custom at the time) and as I was backing out of my spot in the Fury, the gal next to me started backing out. If we had both moved at the same time, in the same direction this probably wouldn't have been an issue. But instead of turning so that we both went the same way, she panicked and turned the wheels away from me, which since she was backing up, caused the front of her car to actually swing toward me. I stopped, she kept moving. The front of her car came down the side of the Fury, putting a crease in it from the front door, all the way through the back door and onto the rear wheel dogleg. The rear door took the worst of it.
    I was very upset. She was hysterical. (She was by far the worst driver at our school during my four years there. If I remember correctly she wrecked upwards of 5 cars during that time)
    I honestly don't remember the circumstances now, but at the time nothing was done about it. No insurance, no claim, no repairs. After the incident I hated to look at the passenger side of the car. After a few years I did a (very bad) amateur bondo job on the side of the car. Then I bombcanned it with white spray paint.
    Believe it or not, it was hard to tell from a distance, it usually depended on the angle of sunlight.
    Here's a good look at it:
    Fury at Sunset 006.jpg
    Now that you know it's there, looking back it will probably stick out like a sore thumb.
    For years now I have wanted to fix it right. I have never pulled the trigger though, just because its just to darned expensive.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  14. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Well, maybe one day. And well, your repair may not be "perfect", but I'm not sure I could have done better in my teens/early 20s!

15. OrthmannJ

Haha well, I suppose that may be true. It was passable, but it still bothers me that it's there.

WagonTheDog likes this.