The Cruiser Chronicles

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 77Vista, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

Well I've had tons of time and no cash to work on it. But I've once again started full time work and now have the cash but no time. So it's pretty much just been sitting in the car port. I start it about once a week. But today I decided to take it for a spin, bad brakes and all (goes almost to the floor).

I stopped to put a few bucks worth of gas in her and buy my self a soda. In the 10 minutes I was at the gas station I had two people ask me about it and about 3 or 4 people give me the thumbs up.

People really love this big old boat!!

Oh and for you rust belters..
    I wanted to make sure nothing was leaking from the brake system. Calipers and drums are clean as a whistle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Pedal going to floor huh? Have you tried flushing the brake fluid and giving the system a good bleeding? Whatever happened with the carb flooding problem, get it rebuilt?

3. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

I plan on bleeding them with in the next or so. As far as the stalling goes, it has me beat. I pretty much parked it when it happened last. But the past couple times that I have driven it there was issue. But I still plan on doing a rebuild so I know it's good to go. Now that the cash flow has started again I'll be able to do some of the small things that I've wanted to do for a while now.

4. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

She has stopping power again! I went for a short drive and all is well.

But it did have it's headaches.

The small rubber hose connecting the tank hard lines, on rear passenger frame rail, decided to completely fail. I smelt gas the last time I drove it. Just shrugged it off, cause I just bought gas. After it was all raised up, I opted to change the fuel filter. Cause I was waiting for my assistant to arrive. After I changed it and started it up, I walked around to the rear of the car and saw gas just leaking everywhere. All I can say is, thankfully it happened in my car port and not out in the middle of nowhere.

But it's getting back to where it belongs. Roaming the streets of Tucson! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good News, vista!!(y) Gotta keep that wagon running good. It's a beauty with a great story!:yup::D

6. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

UPDATE!!! Been a few months...

Well a few weeks ago the radiator sprung a leak: http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21441 So it was parked, once again. But this Sunday it will get a full cooling system over haul and be road worthy again.

I also have a few projects lined up for it! Will update as I go. :)

7. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

The new radiator is in, along with new hoses and thermostat. The hoses didn't come off with out a fight thought! Oh and the original radiator was pretty nasty.

But now it has developed a whine that follows the engine RPM. Not sure what it could be, haven't time to check it out.

Also I have noticed the rear passenger side is sagging/sitting lower than the drivers side. Could this be a bad spring? Or something else?

8. edselsouth1

edselsouth1 Member

Vista wagon...door dent...

77Vista.... Regarding the dent in the rt. door: I have had good results getting out dents of that type with the following procedure: Using a deflated football, insert it in the door shell about where the major part of the dent is. SLOWLY inflate the football (too much inflation at one time will cause you to be purchasing another football) until the metal starts to move outward. Take a soft rag and put over the edge of the dent, and rap LIGHTLY w/ a hammer. Do this all around the edges of the dent. Inflate the football some more, and repeat the tapping w/ the hammer. After a bit of work, the dent should be mostly out, if not all the way. Work slowly, don't inflate the football too much at one time, and use the cloth between the metal and the hammer. Let us know if this procedure works for you. Thanks, David.

9. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    good to see your still on it 77V:D

10. FloridaMike67

FloridaMike67 Member

Great wagon and an entertaining and interesting thread. I read through it all and saw where you mentioned the rear passenger door was stuck shut. Farther along you mentioned you got it opened but I didn't see anything about what the problem was with it and how you were able to open it. Did it just need a good push? Or did it take something more involved like removing the door panel and fiddling with the lock or latching mechanism. Just curious.

11. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

Slow and steady Rev! :D

@FloridaMike67 - I ended up pulling the door panel off. Bit of a challenge with the door closed! But I just kept messing with the lock mechanism and it opened. Then I loaded it with WD-40. My guess is it just froze up form it just sitting and being unused. Had a similar issue with my Mercury when I got it, rear doors wouldn't open and that car had been sitting for a few years.

@edselsouth1 - I'll for sure give that a try. But I'm kinda scared to, don't want the paint to crack and come off! But before I do any of that I'm gunna take it by a body shop or two and see if it can even be pulled out. I just wish it would have been taken care of 30 years ago!

Any ideas on why the rear is sitting uneven? It's kinda buggin me...

12. DanR63

DanR63 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Due to the age of the car the rear springs could probably use to be replaced. as well the as the shocks. Doing rear springs and shock on one of those should be pretty easy. Lift the car and put jack stands under the frame just before the rear tires. next use the jack to lift the car by the center of the axle and slightly lift the axle. Unbolt the bottom bolt(s) for the shocks and very carefully lower the rear axle (pay attention to the postion of the coil spring before removing). Once the rear axle is lowered the springs should come out. with the springs out it should be rear easy to get in there and finish removing the shocks. I would install the top of the shocks and then install the new springs. raise the axle and reinstall the lower shock bolts then lower the car. I am guessing new springs should be around $70-$100 you will most likley have an option to get standard or trailer towing springs. The difference will be spring rate (trailer tow will be heavier). The heavier spring will give the car a bit of a rake and be a bit stiffer. I peronally like a heaver spring in the back of these old wagons to get the back end up so they don't scrape pulling out of steep driveways. also you can get a bit more weight in them without sagging.

13. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

NEW BATTERY!!!:banana:

The 10 year old one finally gave it up. Well by no fault of my own though. I ended up leaving one of the dash lights on. So instead of charging it back up, I just went and bought a new one. The engine runs SO much better now. Also the "slow start when hot" issue is now gone. I killed two birds with one stone. Which is a major plus.

So now I'll finally be getting some new white walls over the next couple months. (two at a time.) Then after that I'll be checking into the rear springs.

I want this machine to ready as a daily driver and road tripper. :)

14. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    sounds like it coming along just fine:thumbs2:

15. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

It's coming along quite nice. New tires will be happening this week!! A fellow co-worker is giving me the hookup :dance:

Also I have begun the restoration of the sport mirrors I picked up. I need to do a bit more sanding, then primer and then color! :) The passenger side had about 3 coats of paint on top of the factory color!

[​IMG]