Talk me off the ledge

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Grizz, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah you have! What’s a junkyard?! Is that a website or something?!

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Actually I discovered that there are junkyard websites. The bonus is there are no junkyard dogs, mud, or poison ivy!

Grizz likes this.
  3. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Digging through all the extra parts for this thing and I found an extra coil. It’s also bad... got a new one on the way. Meanwhile I discovered the battery has a draw on it. Came out to test the second coil I dug up to find that the battery was completely dead. I hooked up the multimeter, crossed my fingers and prayed it was anything but the radio...it was. My only solution for this has always been to replace the radio which I don’t want to do. So I pulled the fuse and added another issue the the very bottom of the list. Any ideas on how to fix a radio?!

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I've never had a problem radio. I did have an old Buick that would drain the battery over a few days of not driving. Maybe it was the radio. Why not add an in-line toggle switch to the radio hot wire?
    The furnace man says the auto pilot light is messed up. Hope I don't need a new furnace. I was gonna get an LP wall furnace like we had in Florida as a back up. Instead I got a fake electric furnace. A fake electric furnace won't keep me warm when the electricity goes off, even if I burn it. Fake wood won't burn long.
    $99 to clean the pilot light orifice. Sadly I can't get to the basement to check things out anymore. Still, not bad for someone to drive out in an old bread truck to spend an hour finding the problem and repairing.
    I suppose I won't jump yet either.

Grizz likes this.
  5. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    If the radio doesn't have a clock or electronic presets, I really like Model T's idea of a toggle switch, breaking the hot power feed to the radio and mounting it under the dash, I can't believe I've never thought of it. Brilliant. But if there is a clock or electronic presets, that rules that out.

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah I couple of guys on another forum with a 53 and a 54 like mine both had radio issues and both used the toggle switch. I’m not sure what I’ll do but a have a while to figure it out. A friend of a friend fixes old house radios as a hobby so maybe I can pick his brain a little.
    there is a clock inside the speaker but all that appears to be separate from the radio itself. I guess I won’t know for sure until I get in there
    :rofl2:id say $99 is a good deal for whatever he was doing down there. Or maybe that was the world’s most expensive match

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    No, the repairman brought the orifice up to the kitchen, showed me, then cleaned it out. He actually drew a diagram and explained how it splits a pilot to the burner and the part that keeps the gas open.
    I've replaced a lot of those on RVs. The same repairman had just came from our son's house, fixing his furnace. I think we should just use them all summer!:cautious:

Seems odd. When the thermostat kicks on a spark lites the pilot which lites the burners. Furnace is around 25 years old. Have a Smart thermostat and a dumb homeowner with a semi smart furnace.

Doghead likes this.
  8. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Hydrochloric acid also cleanses. Care must be taken, to not breath the fumes from both acid and synthetic flux. Rosin's okay. It is neither toxic nor corrosive.
    Here's something to poke the hibernating grizzly bear with:

[​IMG]