Tailgate Window Motor Removal???

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 736cc, Apr 18, 2017.

1. 736cc

736cc Member

Whats the trick to remove the window motor in a 1989 Ford Country Squire wagon? Motor goes click click click click when I hit the dash switch but window doesn't go up or down (its up permanently until I fix it).
    Motors seem ez to find or am I incorrect? And once I find out how to get the motor removed, how does it go back in? tips and pics appreciated.
    Does the trunk key also lift the window? Turning key in lock gets no reaction or the aforementioned click click click click.
    My email detail@optonline.net -Andy

2. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

Sounds like the relay is going click. It may be on the firewall,the ones on the earlier wagons are there. As I have mentioned before,often it is the plastic parts in the gear drive of the motor that go out of service. In that case,however,you would hear the motor whirring. By "trunk key",I take it you mean the oval head key. On your '89,the oval key fits the tailgate lock? Not so on the earlier cars--you need the ignition key for everything except the GC and the stowage compartments. Is there a door switch on the tailgate? So that if it is out of adjustment,or gate isn't all the way closed,you'd get nothing. It's been a while since I had an '89,and I checked my files,but I didn't see a tailgate illustration. There is a thread here on the Forum that details the job of getting at the motor. Anyway,once you open the gate as a door and remove the panel inside,it is easy enough to check for 12V at the motor and work back from there.

3. 736cc

736cc Member

The clicking sound (more like a ratcheting sound) is definitely coming from the motor. I wonder if the lift mechanism is jammed and motor is ok but ratcheting.
    I searched for how-to removal all over the internet and mostly found Bronco stories. Anybody have a pictorial guide? I don't want to guess how this is done. I'd be quite happy to pay a local mechanic that has done this on Long Island.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Search on the site here. There are threads devoted to doing this. But, essentially, once you remove the plastic cover on the inside, look on the T/G shell, there should be three dimples or three tiny holes where the motor screws are. the bolts are 5/16" heads, so you need to drill the holes to, say, half an inch? Then, once you remove the three screws, have a helper hold the window while you carefully reach in and remove the motor. Assembly is in reverse of removal.

5. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say that it is definitely the gearbox,which is in body with the motor. It's not usually the gears,but the three torque buttons which crumble. They are supposed to break down if the regulator jams,to prevent motor burnout or something. I received a new old stock set of gears,and upon installation,the three buttons crumbled immediately,due to old age,I suppose. I found three metal buttons the right size and used those with plenty of the appropriate grease. I also took great care to remove all the broken plastic pieces. I am very careful when using the window,because it doesn't have that protective feature. I also didn't drill those holes,just reached around,having taped the sharp edges,but that's just me. The other thing is that some gearboxes use springs instead of buttons,but I doubt they are all interchangeable. Then if you get the repair done and drop your tailgate down,you have to contend with the single cable that keeps the tailgate from hitting the bumper. These are made of Unobtainium,and are usually rusted under the rubber cover. You can custom make one,or find the pickup truck one that's closest,and try to make it work. 90% of the time,I've just used the gate as a door anyway,but I like everything to work correctly.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Actuay, Dorman has new ones, but I don't know if they have any for station wagons. Be worth a look on their website.