Such a Deal!?!?!? "Garage Find" '92 Roadmaster Sedan

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, Jun 7, 2017.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't like dealing with rivets, so to re-install the regulator assembly and arm rest mount, I use 1/4 inch bolts, with round washers and lock washers, You will need a total of 11 bolts to do this job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You will want to re-stick/tape the plastic dust cover on the door panel before installing the arm rest support. Reach up from under the plastic to install the bolts. The arm rest support mounts over the plastic dust cover. I then cut off the excess bolts using my whizz-wheel.
    [​IMG]

Carefully re-route the wiring through the plastic dust cover, and then re-install the speaker. Don't forget to plug in the new power window motor and the power lock actuator.
    [​IMG]

About to re-install the door panel. Wires run, speaker installed, all new bolts trimmed as needed, and tested operation of all electrics.
    [​IMG]

Once again, I install new Christmas Tree clips from Napa on the door panel before snapping it on. Want no loose panels, and these really only hold tight the first use. Wrth $5 to get a new package.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Door panel re-installed and wires run to correct locations.
    [​IMG]

Note, now is a good time (before installing this bezel) to check/replace the tiny bulb above the door handle that illuminates with the headlights to shine on the power window switches below. Dark here, see next pic with new bulb lit and working.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DONE. Panel is tight, window works like new. NOT a fun job, but can be done in an afternoon if you take your time and think it through. Hope the step-by-step helps someone else!
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    While I worked on replacing the driver's front power window motor, my son Eddie jacked the car up, painted the brake drums and inner fenders black, and installed the gorgeous refurbished Impala SS wheels with Buick center caps and brand new 235/55/17 tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    9/4/17 - Made some good headway on the 92 Roadmaster Sedan project this holiday weekend. Headliner done, exhaust done, window motor replaced, and new wheels and tires installed. Still have to do the radiator flush, thermostat and idler pulley, and need to paint the bumper trim and install the new side moldings, and car still needs a top-to-bottom detailing, but it's looking a lot better now and it drives TONS better with new tires, shocks, and great air conditioning. COMING ALONG!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  4. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The rear-end gearing on the 92 Roadmaster Sedan is hilarious. Look at the tachometer at 80mph. Hahahahaa!
    [​IMG]

This car is just geared way too high with the 2.56 axle. I had the same motor in my 92 Custom Cruiser, but with the 3.23 tow pack rear, and it felt like a rocket in comparison...and the transmission didn't have to downshift for every incline either. I've got 2.93s in my 96 Roadmaster Wagon...but it actually IS a rocket in comparison, ha! The wagons both turn in the low to mid 2000-rpm range at 80mph. This sedan is just hilarious...and additional forward motion on the highway requires a downshift before anything happens. It's no wonder the 2.56 cars lose transmissions much sooner than tow-pack cars. That transmission is constantly working against those gears.

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    9/6/17- Evening project, wet-sanding faded silver bumper trim for new paint. Changing color to black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9/6/17 - Masking the Roadmaster Sedan for black bumper trim paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    9/6/17 - Painting the Roadmaster Sedan bumper trim black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9/6/17 - Freshly-painted black bumper trim. Just unmasked the car. LOVE the black so much better than the silver! Next project is to install the new black bodyside trim.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  7. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    9/6/17 - New bodyside trim for the Roadmaster Sedan. ES1382402-S Body Trim Molding. This stuff is great! Perfect size, cuts easy and not heavy like the stock trim was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9/7/17 - First daytime views with black-painted bumper and bodyside trim done. Car looks 1000-percent better! Also removed the dealer emblem from the trunk lid, and the stickers from the front and rear windows. Still need to compound and wax the car, but MAN it's looking so much better!! Can't wait to see it waxed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will keep the updates coming!

-Texas Mike

ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  8. Dandy

Dandy Member

WOW, you just keep putting together beautiful rides. Looking through this thread, I just don't know where you find the time. That trim is a nice find, you may have saved quite a few people looking for those pieces.

81X11 likes this.
  9. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    This all looks so great mike!
    what a great place to let you under the car to look and take pictures. This was something we would do for every customer that wanted to. Even though most had no idea what I was talking about, (most of the time neither do I) it was the gesture of honesty that they appreciated

ModelT1 and 81X11 like this.
  10. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep my friends back east can't imagine a shop with exposed outdoor lifts! Ha! Somewhat common here in Texas, especially in the small towns. Hey when under the car you're in the shade! And you get a breeze you don't have in a closed shop!

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep that factory trim ALWAYS falls off Roadmasters. This stuff is a great replacement. As for time...who needs sleep?

ModelT1 and Dandy like this.
  12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    One of the first things that shocked me about Florida were all of those outside lifts.:49:

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, I could never figure out why highway-geared cars got the OD trans. My '79 Ranchero, Babe, has the bone-stock 2.47 ratio 9"; when Ford started building the Panther platform cars, the stock rear went up to 3.08 on the newly-introduced 8.8" diff axle, except the special-service cars, which got the 2.74 axle, but in doing this, the cars were all basically ready for the AOD that was introduced in the Lincoln Mark VI in '80, and the LTD and Grand Marquis in '82 (IIRC). So, yeah, that Roadmaster could've had a Turbo 350 (3L60?) and would've done just fine. I'm guessing GM was doing its level best to get a passing grade on CAFE, and the highway gearing and OD trans were to help in that.

14. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

As always, fantastic work Mike. It's looking real good. Glad to see Eddie is enjoying the car too. It's great to see a young man who enjoys cars and enjoys working on them with his Dad.
    Thanks for sharing.

81X11 likes this.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Mike! Your doing 80mph. And taking pictures with you cell phone?!?! Do I have to remind you that "the eyes of Texas are upon you!"

ModelT1 likes this.