Shoestring Budget '83 Caprice Wagon

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 1tireman, Mar 27, 2011.

1. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank's Norman it's not often I end up with a easy project that just need's cosmetics and a little mechanic work.Maybe one day I will do a restoration on it but for now it will be good driver quality wagon that I can hit the cruise nights in.

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:

Those are the best kind! :banana:

3. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    luv it and roll it....thats my montra:yup:

carry on 1T(y)

4. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    I finally get a Saturday off work and it is raining. Grass was cut earlier in the week so I could do some work on the wagon but I guess that mother-nature has other plans...Or maybe I'm being punished for telling my kids (who have only 2 or so weeks before returning to school) that instead of new school shoes Daddy was getting new cam and lifters for the wagon :rofl2::rofl2:but honestly I was just joking, I wouldn't do that.....well the wife wouldn't let me do that anyway!!! :D:rofl2::rofl2:

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I got caught in one of your Louisiana rains, back in 1994. Its like the whole cloud decides to dump on ya, all day long, or St. Peter is unloading his Unversal bladder.:rofl2: I heard that the city gutters and drain pipes were built for 9 gallons per minute, down there. I can believe it. Man! When raindrops bounce 9 inches off the ground, that's a pressure washer.:rofl2:

6. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Tman, I just found your thread and got caught up. I have to echo the previous posts here by saying "thank you" for saving this wagon. (Chevy Caprices are near n dear to my heart; I learned how to drive in my dad's '83 Caprice).
    Have you posted any pics? Would love to see your wagon. We here thrive and the "before's" just as much as the "after's" when it comes to pics. :clap:

Good luck negotiating some time with old man weather! Being a native of upstate ny, I know how challenging that can be, lol.

Look forward to future updates from ya. (y)

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here's a few, glide....I won't tell you what he paid for it......:rofl:

002_925509.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  8. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I hear ya, I'm waiting for tile grout to dry and had alot of outside plans, but it's pouring here also, wanted to change the oil on both wagons and mini van. As for punished, I guess I am also. There is a car show tommorow here in town and the weather calls for pain rain.:(

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :tiphat: Great job tman. It is sickening thinking where that nice wagon almost ended up. Just does not make sense. Glad you have family and friends who are willing to help. That means a lot too. Sure, you could do it alone, in time. But later you will have these added memories.:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

10. Only1Balto

Only1Balto Member

Man your car looks great! A serious beast :) I've just put a down payment on an 85 caprice wagon that has 59k original miles on it- and I'd love it to get to look like yours. It's been sitting for a few years and an elderly couple had it before... he's selling it for 1k and it runs really well, no hiccups, studders, lag, etc- do you think that's a good deal?

lol I can't get enough looking at your car. Hopefully your car will serve as a type of blue-print of what I'd like done to my car.

11. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    You have plenty to be proud of behind the wheel of a machine like that.

12. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    Just posted in your welcome thread before I read this and thanks for the compliment but the only credit I can take is for the mechanics being done.This was a orphaned wagon because of blown motor and I was unemployed when I found it but they were going to crush it so I rolled the dice I would be going back to work and took my last little stash I had put away to keep the wife off my a#$ while I wasn't working to buy it :rofl2:and as the saying goes it was easier to ask for forgivness than permission and it all worked out in the end...now if I can find time to get my motor back in it!

13. Only1Balto

Only1Balto Member

Ah yes- sorry I forgot you just recently got it. I stumbled upon your first thread last night while searching- how forgetting of me. Still an amazing looking car though :) What type and size rims and tires are those? I was hoping for a company who'd already made CI hoods so I wouldn't have to go through all the hard work you and your pop's did- but to no avail :( I guess if I'm going to want to add a bit of flare I'll have to get it custom fabbed.

14. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    The wheels are wheel vintique rallys. 15x7 front 15x10 rear. 215/65R15 front and 275/60R15 rear. My hood scoop is steel and functional but you can get the fiberglass ones and just graph to hood for same look.

15. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    After patiently waiting a year I am going to order my engine parts today. I have only needed 4 to 500 dollars worth of parts to finish my engine but haven't been able to take it. Every time I get ready to something breaks like the well pump or wife's van but FINALLY it is my turn! My boss told all the techs at work if we furthered our certifications with chrysler he would give us a bonus for each one. My wheels got to turning and decided that could be my extra money for my parts. So for the past week I would come home, look at the forum for a few minuites and then do my test. Yesterday I finished taking my 4th test in 3 days. So I printed out my results and brought them to my boss for payment :dancing:Now when I get home from work today I will order all my parts...so it is not back together yet but another step closer finally!