roof rack for my vista?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by wagoninsane, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I suppose it is possible. Consider that those vista windows were almost impossible to properly seal when the body was straight, let alone after any accident; so Olds likely found the racks were too much hassle in light of the vista window.

2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Does anyone have parts numbers for GM roof racks? Does anyone have pictures of a rack on a wagon?....Longroofs Rule!

3. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The factory assembly manual may have more specific information for locating the roof rack. It has been a long time since I have looked at the one for our '67 Chevy, but it had a ton of information regarding details like this.

wagoninsane likes this.
  4. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

If I read that correctly, it's of a 1967 non-Vista roof. It could help if he decides to go ahead and try it, but I'm now of the opinion that GM decided to stop installing them on Vista Cruisers due to window problems.

6. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The following page shows a Vista roof with inset details of the mounting bases, but no dimensions. I assume you key off the forward point of the elevated vista roof instead of the stamped-in body lines of a standard wagon.

7. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    actually there are some dimensions in the lower right hand corner of the drawing if you blow it up but may not apply in this case...only speaking for myself but i think if i wanted the rack on my car and technically its not original to the car ,and considering there might not be an exact location in this case, i would position it where i thought it looks good, where i thought location wise will work, drill the holes, and seal the holes while bolting it down....

8. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was referring to the next page which you can see an image ghosting through in the posted picture. It is a rack on a Vista roof, but there are no dimensions on it. That's why I posted the non-Vista roof picture.

9. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ok sorry! i didnt see a second page, just the one with the dimensions above the title block of the drawing titled "luggage carrier" with the 2 dimensions for the mounting base...i thought perhaps the 1 1/4 dimension might have been coming from a molded it line of the roof...but its a non vista roof! i will shut up now since i dont have an olds :)wonder if hes going to put in on...i like it!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  10. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    I would like to install the rack, just want to position it correctly.....Longroofs Rule!

11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Honestly wagoninsane, If it were me I would set it on there, position it where it looks right, make sure I wasn't going to hit anything vital with mounting hardware and then just mark the holes and go. No looking back.
    Do it right (don't just zuuss it on with sheetmetal screws) but don't don't worry if it's a few eighths of an inch off one way or another from where the factory would have put it.

JackWagon and wagoninsane like this.
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Actually, IIRC, GM's tolerance on trim back then was 1/32nd inch in any direction. But then again, they had templates for punching the holes during stamping, so I'm sure they were closer than that.

wagoninsane likes this.
  13. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah , I hear you . I really need to keep my O.C.D. in check! I want to do the install but I also want it done "right"......Longroofs Rule!

JackWagon and OrthmannJ like this.
  14. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I first got my 67 Vista Cruiser, I noticed that the trim on the front passenger side door didn't line up with the rear door. My first thought was that the door wasn't hung properly, but the body lines all matched up. Years later, I can across the same defect on another 67 VC. Pretty clear evidence that the factory dies for stamping out those doors was off from day one.

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

That was the state of American car production. I've seen bad seams on new cars at dealerships, incorrect door, hood and trunk positions, bad stampings, and the companies wouldn't make new dies because it cut into profits. But we as consumers wised up starting in the '80s, and the American companies heard us.