Refinished woodgrain on '94 Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by Cyber-Wizard, May 23, 2011.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    CG...see if the link in post #14 helps.

2. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I read through that but it's actually for resizing the pictures prior to use. I've just been linking to my pictures from my blog where they're stored at 1200x800. I was hoping to save a step and not have to put the pictures somewhere else at a different size in order to post them here.

When you add a picture to a post, the post editor on the forums shows them with resizing boxes and dragging the resizing boxes shows you what size the picture is going to be. It works during the editing process, but when I hit "Submit Reply" the pictures go back to whatever size they are stored at on the remote location.

It looked like it would be a pretty cool way to not have to save the pictures twice at two different sizes. Guess it was too much to ask. :)

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry I can't address your problem but I DO know that there are specific ways to post pix here. Wagonmaster can help for SURE if not someone else that may jump in. YOU probably can figure it out anyway since your name is Cyber-Wizard.:bouncy:

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
  5. Cyber-Wizard

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I read that one too. It's based upon us uploading pictures directly to the forum rather than linking to pictures stored somewhere else. I try not to do that so Wagonmaster doesn't wind up with huge storage requirements for the site. We've all run into issues with running out of picture capacity. Since I have my own website and my storage is unlimited, I've just been linking to my own pictures over at www.cyber-wizard.ca. That way Wagonmaster doesn't have to store them and back them up in case of catastrophe.

vBulletin, the software that Wagonmaster uses to power this wonderful place has a built-in image resizer in the editor, that allows users to manually resize pictures that are actually stored elsewhere. That way the picture doesn't have to be resized before uploading it, vBulletin just has to be told what size it should be displayed at. That way I can post them to my blog at 1200x800 but when I create my posts I can tell vBulletin to show them at 800x600 which is more reasonable for a forum. I don't know what version of vBulletin Wagonmaster is using (for security reasons, I shouldn't know) but it seems that many versions have a problem that prevents this resizer from working correctly. It seems that's what I'm running into. I'll have to go back to resizing the images in one size for my blog and a different size for use here. It makes perfect sense to do it that way I just have to store the images in two different sizes. I was just trying to simplify the process of duplicating my posts here so that I don't get lazy and just stop doing it altogether.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, wiz. I'll bet that makes perfect sense to someone that knows anything! :biglaugh:

7. powerwagon4581

powerwagon4581 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    looks great

Looks great , have to do that to mine

8. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    How did I miss your thread! That's beautiful work, CW!(y)

I'm gonna try to hand paint my body woodgrain next summer, and redo the trim like you did. I used a hairdryer to form mine over the wheelwells and they're blistering now, 5 years later. The woodtrim should have gotten a clear coat or two - its wearing thin in spots.

Very nice work.(y)

9. Cyber-Wizard

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Norm! Coming from you that's high praise indeed!

10. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wagon artists united!:rofl2::thumbs2:

11. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm getting ready to do my trim in the next few weeks...I noticed several types of trim removal tools out there. Which one would work best for the Roadamster?

12. Cyber-Wizard

Wagon Garage:
    I went down to PartSource and picked up the only one they had. It was like a screwdriver with a broad, flat head and a piece missing in the middle. I think it cost me $7. I wrapped it in a cloth and used it to gently pry the trim ever-so-slightly away from the body so that I could see the mounting clips. Then I used a small slot screwdriver to pop the releases on either end of each mounting clip.

I have a few more pics on my blog write-up at the link below that show a little about how I did it. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll help however I can.

http://www.cyber-wizard.ca/2011/05/27/ive-refinished-the-woodgrain-trim-on-my-wagon-it-really-looks-great/

13. Cyber-Wizard

Wagon Garage:
    You can see that funky little trim tool that I bought laying in the back of my wagon in the pics at the beginning of this thread.

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

[​IMG]

Oh, that one with the red handle......the one nobody can see just WTF is that tool. I got'a get me one:biglaugh::rofl2::biglaugh:

I've had alot of good results with vynal siding "slip" tools
    [​IMG]
    There are variences in design also.

Seriously though, can you post a pic of the tool you used?:D

15. Cyber-Wizard

Wagon Garage:
    It's much like this one.

[​IMG]