Rear sway bar for '91-'96 GM B-body wagons

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Moparman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Igotawoody

Igotawoody New Member

Picture of the spacer

Attached Files:

2. Igotawoody

Igotawoody New Member

The modified end link

Attached Files:

3. Igotawoody

Igotawoody New Member

This is how close the bar is to the gas tank after the install. Yeah the pics could be better.

Attached Files:

4. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I put the 22mm bar on my 91 OCC, and had no clearance issues. I used a slightly shorter end link because I have lowering springs, and it has worked out exceptionally well. If you go to your local junk yards, you can find the bars for about $15-20. If you look at enough CVs, and MGMs, you can find the larger bar, and it will cost the same as the smaller one. Take a 19mm open end wrench with you, and if it does not fit over the bar, you have found the 22mm. My total cost to install was about $50.

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Another part to put on the junkyard shopping list.
    - Anyone - I assume the installation is the same for a GM box wagon?

6. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nope. Box wagons are different. I believe the rear axle is different, and there may not be the appropriate holes for mounting the end links.

7. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Fred Is correct. The 77-90 Box Wagons rear bars (very hard to find!!!!) Bolt to Brackets that bolt into the bottom of the rear lower control arms. No end links.

8. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Considering that they never existed, yeah, I'd say they are "very hard to find". The 77-90 B-body wagons used a wider rear axle and suspension than the sedans. This was done to allow a 4x8 sheet of plywood to exactly fit flat between the inside wheel wells. If you look down the side of one of these cars, you will notice that the rear fenders flare out slightly to accommodate this wider track. The sedans don't.

9. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Nobody has even tried the mod on a '77-'90 GM B-body wagon?

10. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 1977-1996 frames and suspension are just about identical. Anything that works on a 91-96 car also works on a 77-90 car.

11. cammerjeff

Not exactly True (but applies to about 99% of production) A rear sway bar was part of the 80's Buick Estate Heavy Duty Trailer towing Package, I found one in a local yard during the cash for clunkers program, and have installed it on my 78 Catalina it is 26mm. Also it was part of the Police package for 77-80 Chevy Wagons again with the HD towing Package. But Basically you are correct they did not install many at the factory.

I will take some shots of mine tonight and post them.

101Volts likes this.
  12. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Do you know what exact year Buick wagon the sway bar (GM calls them stabilizer shafts) came off of? I've looked through the Buick parts catalogs from the 80's and there's no mention of anything at all for the rear of a B wagon? The same goes for all the '77-'96 GM B wagons, can't find one listed in any parts book yet but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
    I'd like that set-up a lot more than the axle mounted deal if it would fit '91-'96.

13. cammerjeff

It was awile back, I do remember it did not have the door mounted seat belts so I am thinking 84-88 Model years, but it could have been 80-83 also. Sorry but it was about 8 years ago I stumbled on that low Mileage wagon ruined by "cash for Clunkers" I pulled the 5 door power lock system off of it also. I should have grabbed the front bar but I didn't. Here are the pic's of the bar on my 78 Catalina Safari. You can see that it has plenty of space to the gas tank, and no mods were required. One odd thing is the U-brackets that go into the lower control arms to mount it, one side is Metric the other side is SAE hardware. That is the only Issue I had as I replaced all the hardware and only took 1 bracket into the hardware store!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Frasierraheen

Frasierraheen New Member

I did the same think with my open end wrench matter a fact I copied from you, thanks a million. But I found a 22mm and order everything and it was about 50 bucks also. And it looks great gotta wait til I finish my swap to try it out

15. Igotawoody

Igotawoody New Member

I just added a video on youtube that should help everyone out doing this mod-Go here to see my sway bar I added to my wagon, been using the setup since 2016 without issue.

Wagons rule!