Rattle Noise while driving

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Munzel, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    As far as I know, despite electronics, engines have become more reliable. Until, something happens, of course. Traditionally, BMWs and Opels were easy to service. Traditionally, AUDI's, with the exception of the early Fox for N. America and 80 for Europe, as well as the 4000 and 5000 series, are extremely difficult to service, as if the vehicle was built around the engine and not the other way around. I don't know why people even buy them new. They didn't look that great. It must be for reasons of prestige. Okay, they are fast. So are the other 2 high-end brands, for that matter.
    I hate to admit this. But, the one I drive should have been better designed, despite the long list of options. I've never heard of a mechanical sunroof failing, for example. The electric one in my AUDI will open. But, it won't close. At least, without plenty of fiddling around with it. My old Skoda which was as old as the AUDI had a much shorter service record, not only because it had no options (the electric door locks were standard features, though). Okay, the Skoda was essentially a Czech-assembled Golf, except for the transaxle and it rusted.

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Munzel

Munzel Member

One of the problems in a Audi is the longitudinally mounted engine with FWD. Because of this the engine must be in front of the wheels and this causes a unfavourable load distribution between front and rear wheels. For many service works the garage must also disassemble the front end.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

And the fact of doing whatever it took to 'keep the smoke inside the wiring' of Audis.

4. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

I remember when people would say "the more options the more problems" back in the 70's and 80's. Those options were power locks, windows and cruise control LOL. Anti lock brakes? Forget about it not going to have that stuff on my car! Air conditioning? No way I want 4/50 air as that stuff just breaks down. Remote door locks? That's for lazy people they give you a key you know. Four cylinder car? What are you people thinking? It will only last half as long as an eight cylinder car. And while your at it make mine a full frame car! Those unibody cars rust out and are a death trap in an accident. Automatic headlights? Why are you too lazy to reach for the switch? posi traction? Who needs that just a waste of money.

Seriously? No options? Load my vehicle up to the max and I mean every creature comfort. I will NOT buy a new vehicle without it being fully loaded. I work my ass off for a reason. I fix my cars also, new and old (after warranty is over). I'm even adding options to my '64 cadiliac like fuel injection, cruise control, vapor canister, remote door and trunk openers, remote start, backup camera, headlight delay and intermittent wipers to name a few of the things. I've also been recently thinking about anti lock brakes on the four drums and another crazy option like dual exhaust. Yes make my pizza with everything LOL.

Sorry for the rant LOL but a simple vehicle to me is just a cheap one. People have been saying things like this for as long as they have been improving the horse and buggy. The internet makes it worse it seems. While doing research on upgrading my Cadillacs a/c to 134a all I read was how it is only 80% as effective as r12. What a bunch of bull! My wagon and Cadillac are both ice cold. How anyone can say that because you use only 80% of the volume of 134a compared to r12 that it's less effective is is beyond me. This is my first foray into an a/c system and I know it's not true but there is sure a lot of Internet bs that says its so.

Ok, back to my corner, have a great day!!!

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Stepping outta my corner, carefully eyeing the crowd.:boxing: In all of the years I've had power everything, not counting the latest junk, I've had two power window switches and two power door lock rods go bad. All on an 1987 Chevy full sized van that I bought with over 100,000 miles and added more than that many more.
    We alone slammed doors and rolled windows a million times over seven years using that 1/2 ton van as an RV, dump truck and moving van.

To fix the two chrome window switches all I had to do was remove, bend some contact tabs, and reinstall.
    The power door lock short wire rods lost the plastic retainers. A piece of wire did the trick.
    I've not had back up cameras, GPS, or the latest but my free Insurance company map helps when I get confused.
    I used to say I'd never drive an automatic. At my age my knees and hips demand it and I usually find D, R, and P when needed.

So far I don't need a car that parks itself, shows what's behind, or talks to me. I normally pull into parking spaces, use the two side and inner rear view mirrors, and I have a wife to tell me where to go!
    Yuup!:party5:

Thirsty islander likes this.
  6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    i tried to find a car to talk to me just because I get so lonely but they all have that ambiguous accent and my little ol southern ears can't make out some of the words. They outta make a "daisy duke" voice guide and then I'd go down all the wrong roads and make all the u-turns and re-routes she gives me

Thirsty islander and ModelT1 like this.
  7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I never get lonely, because of the constant whispering in my ear to go do something evil.
    Some people don't even have D's and R's, Sir. But, everyone has to do the latter, sooner or later, despite age.
    I once had one of those too, Sir. That's why I don't have one, anymore.

Thirsty islander and ModelT1 like this.
  8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Just the thought of Daisy Duke in her shorts makes me want to jump thru my car window and drive over a creek.
    I know it would scare the P out of me and my wife would still tell me where to go.

I'm sure the car would have lots of rattle noises by then and I'd call Munzel to fix it.:nohijacking:

Thirsty islander and Poison_Ivy like this.