Ranch Wagon vs Country Sedan vs Country Squire

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Fordor, Nov 24, 2023.

1. Fordor

Fordor New Member

I'm looking into getting a '67 full-size Ford, but am trying to find out more about these cars before making a commitment. That brings me to today's question: What's the difference between a Ranch Wagon, a Country Sedan, and a Country Squire? I know what sets the Galaxie, LTD, and Custom apart from each other, but I don't know what sets the wagons apart. Nobody I know has been able to tell me the difference other than that the Squire has wood grain and I haven't had much luck looking online either. I've found a few things mentioning the wood grain difference from earlier, but not much else. I also tried looking at photos, but nothing really stuck out to me, the differences seem to be more subtle than the completely different rear window shapes the coupes had from each other. Can anyone here tell me what separates them?

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What sets them apart are really exterior trim details, interior details, and level of standard equipment. The Ranch Wagon was your basic, 'entry-level' full-sized Ford station wagon. Of course, if you wanted to, you could buy a smaller 'mid-sized' Ford Fairlane wagon in '67, or even a Fairlane Squire.

The '67 Ford Wagon brochure (linked below) pictures a good representation of the differences between a Ranch Wagon and the Country Sedan, the next step up in trim levels. The 'CS' has chrome trim on the door window frames, while the 'RW' does not. The 'CS' has a lower body chrome trim that the 'RW' does not have. The 'CS' has a bit nicer upholstery, and a bit of dress-up trim on the instrument panel. The Country Squire has the wood panel look of course, and some nicer seat upholstery options. The Country Squire interior seat upholstery was also optional in the Country Sedan, as noted in the brochure.

https://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/67fw/67fw.html

Fordor likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

4. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Basically the Country Squire with the wood grain was an LTD top of the line model. The Country Sedan was a Galaxie 500, and the Ranch Wagon was the stripped down Custom series model. If I were looking for a 67, it would be this 67 Squire in Pennsylvania.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:661ada70-a491-4e92-b704-e97cb7618638

1967 Ford country squire 8 passenger
    $21,500
    Listed 3 weeks ago in Bangor, PA
    Very nice country squire , 390, auto, ps, pb, excellent condition and runs like new , too many new parts to list , excellent interior, drive anywhere. Dual exhaust, no AC. Bangor Pa location 18013.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

wylee, markfnc and Fordor like this.
  5. Fordor

Fordor New Member

I really appreciate the information and helpful link, thank you.

Thank you for the info as well, but I will have to pass on the sales pitch, that car is unfortunately way too far away from where I live, as well as outside my price range.

6. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

There are others...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:88811bc0-afc9-4501-8c69-c806a3df8415
    1967 Ford country squire wagon 5 speed manual
    $18,750
    Listed 10 weeks ago in Fond du Lac, WI
    Short version. Very solid AC car. Entire drive line replaced. The 390 became a 445 stroker. MSD ignition. The auto trans replaced with Tremic TKX 5 speed. Limited slip rear. Wilwood disk brakes all around. Cragar rims. BMW bucket seats. Remaining interior stock. Long version: NEW Aluminum radiator alternator, power steering pump, battery & all the other little stuff replaced. 445 stroker. Parts spec;d by and provided by Brent Lykins. Scat crank, Scat rods, Mahle pistons, Comp Cams cam, 227/236 @ .050", 114 LSA, 106 ICL, .557" lift, hydraulic roller lifters, C3 (63) heads, approx. 9.2:1 compression. Around 400hp & 500 ft.lb. torque Tremic TKX 5 speed manual trans from Modern Driveline. 3.2:1 first gear. .7:1 overdrive. 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Custom gage cluster. Autometer gages. BMW leather bucket seats, electrically adjustable. IDIDIT 8 way adjustable collapsible tilt column. Auburn limited slip 3.5:1 rear end. Spohn tubular rear suspension I have had the car 2 years. I wanted a fun wagon to cruise around in and I accomplished that. Now I'm moving on. I tried to keep it clean and uncomplicated. I moved a lot of the new and old wiring to an electrical box mounted behind the left headlights. This is an AC car with the evaporator and condenser mounted. They both checked good at a local shop. I have the mounting hardware for the compressor. The car was very complete when I got it out of Colorado. As close to no real rust as it gets. I live in WI and never saw anything this old that good before. The price might seem high to some. I have about $25k in it and I knew I'd 'lose' money. That is part of the game. A rough breakdown of some costs: Car and transport $6k Engine rebuild and parts $8k Trans and related $6k Brakes $2k Tires and rims $1.5k Suspension, steering column, radiator, rear end, etc. It adds up fast. So I just tried to do things that most people would want done if they had a car like this. I put about 1000 miles on it. You can drive it anywhere. Not looking to dump it but if you are looking for a car in this condition, it is a pretty good deal. I will add more pics as requested. It's a fun car to drive.
    [​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:d3cf801d-857d-4460-a095-c4ddc54d3362
    1967 Ford galaxie wagon Ranch Wagon
    $1,200
    Listed 4 weeks ago in Cle Elum, WA
    I no longer have time for this project and need tires for my other project. Looking to sell my 1967 Galaxie Wagon. It’s a factory 390 car, comes with the original automatic c6 transmission (not installed). There is some rust but it’s generally in decent shape. NO TITLE. NO TITLE. Rolls real nice, brakes do not work. I have swapped 72 Thunderbird front discs on. Currently has a 351w and c6 with zero miles sitting in it but is not included at this price. Will include if wanted for additional cost. This is in Cle Elum. I’m not sure why it’s defaulting to Bothell.
    [​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:d4795750-a0f9-4138-8760-a23ddb7503dc
    1967 Ford country squire
    $5,500
    Listed 21 weeks ago in Venice, FL
    1967 Ford COUNTRY SQUIRE · Wagon · Driven 130,000 miles Country Squire 1967 Power Steering Power Brakes RUN Stops

[​IMG]

wylee likes this.