Post ALMOST anything you want thread

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Roadking41A, Feb 22, 2008.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Tedy checks in here fairly often, but doesn't comment much. I think he and Hans Von/Poison Ivy/Doghead had a number of run ins and he finally had enough. So now he just observes from the sideline.

wagoninsane and fannie like this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Well, shoot, Hans von PoisonDog is gone, if Tedy's on the sidelines, he should at least pop in to say 'hi.'

fannie likes this.
  3. OrthmannJ

I agree. But that's up to him.

Silvertwinkiehobo and fannie like this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Teddy, if ya see this, come on back, pop in for a chat, eh?

yellerspirit and wagoninsane like this.
  5. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

6. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Is that thing even strapped down?

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Likely not, I doubt if the trailer was wider than the Burb's track. Reminds me of the dunderhead in Everett, WA a couple years ago, transporting a late (?) '60s Chevelle that wasn't strapped down, and either out of gear or it popped out of gear, and no p-brake. The car rolled backward off the trailer on Interstate 5 in the South end of town, collided with a couple following cars.

8. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Life changes - sometimes we choose to make them and other times life happens much to our surprise. We lived on the mainland just south and east of Vancouver, BC, and about 15 minutes north of the Canada/USA border, for 28 years. In that time the population had exploded there and unfortunately, in 2016, so did my health. With some great doctors and an amazing woman who's been my wife for now almost 55 years, I was able to get back together and get on with life. One of those things was to find a healthier environment to live so we sold out and moved to Vancouver Island. We purchased a heritage home in a heritage community of 39 homes that was a British farm school from 1935 to 1952. Impoverished children were given up by their parents to hopefully get a better life, get an education, health care, start life with a trade, and they were sent to schools in the "colonies". Of course there were things that should not have happened, not lots but in those times there was less supervision, but still over 350 children came to this farm school on the Island and got a good start in life. The home we purchased is one of four identical, they were the girls dorms so each home had 14 girls and a matron. The boys dorms were much more military style, 4 to 6,000 sq ft and much less homey. Our home also has what was the community laundry which was a wood working shop when we bought and is now my garage. Sadly I gave up a 1,200 sq ft shop for a two story 700 sq ft per floor, shop. My wife though got her dream front porch so apparently that's a fair trade off (?). The intent was to add on to the existing shop but health once again became an issue and now what I have for a shop is sufficient for what I'm able to do. We all have that ahead of us, aging out for one thing but also all the things we probably should not have done or eaten over the years catches up with us. But these are also our finest years, we are living our retirement dream, it's very quiet here as we're surrounded by farms, yet just a few miles out of a 5,000 people town and 40 minutes from either Victoria or Nanaimo for the big things we need. What we did find is that even though we had movers do the hard stuff, being in our late 60's at the time of the move, it was very hard on us physically and mentally. We are only 20 miles from where we lived before but we have to take a ferry across which is great, we enjoy those trips, but it does make visiting with friends on that side of the water a bit more effort. We do that often, day trips, we see whales frequently and play crib and enjoy the view each way. And the Island is a wonderful place to have a classic car. There are so many people over here who have cars it's amazing. I thought I'd share a few pictures of where we ended up. We should have done what Fanny is doing and moved to our, what we term our toe tag house, right after we retired instead of waiting 11 years. We were intent on downsizing so we ended up with a slightly smaller acreage, a slightly smaller house, a much smaller shop, someone's dream porch, and an amazing little neighborhood and the kind of peaceful retirement place we had always talked about. Ane we found this place by chance. We parked our trailer in friends place late at night, they'd bought here a year before, and when we were leaving in the morning we saw how wonderful it was and inspired by the "need" to live here we made up a few letters and put them in the doors of the houses my wife was in love with and the one we both liked the best happened to contact us the next day to say they were changing careers and had to sell and quickly.
    upload_2022-11-8_20-10-34.jpeg upload_2022-11-8_20-12-22.jpeg upload_2022-11-8_20-14-52.jpeg upload_2022-11-8_20-16-26.jpeg

9. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Talk about closing windows, and opening doors. Your house is lovely. What a wonderful retirement setup. Many many years ahead. Thanks for sharing.

JackWagon, annap01gt and OrthmannJ like this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Of course, that is quaint but beautiful, the Pacific Northwest has a lot of ups for all the downs it has. One is all the Evergreen trees, 365 days of green, come rain, shine, sleet or snow. And you do have a garage and shop, even though it's smaller than the last. Perhaps you could invest in one of those portable covered carports, and some bricks to hold it all down?

11. OrthmannJ

Man, Barry. That looks (and sounds) fantastic. Super happy for the both of you.

fannie likes this.
  12. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]

I believe this is totally worth a smaller garage. :rofl: It's no wonder you both fell for this amazing little part of Canada, it looks perfect. Your story set a beautiful setting that sounds like you will be happy here for a long time to come.
    After reading your other post about adjusting the interior of your wagon it sounds like you are making the most of your new beginning and your retirement.
    It may have taken you a bit longer to find your T.T.H. but it sounds to me like your H.E.A.H.
    All the best, take care.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    annap01gt and OrthmannJ like this.
  13. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the kind comments on our house and move. It was the biggest change we'd made in 28 years and we were concerned the entire time if we were making the right decision. It turned out to be one of the better choices we've made. We know we lucked out with how it all unfolded and with perfect timing. I think we all have those times in our lives when things just fall into place for us, and this was ours. Fanny, you are on the cusp of your retirement and I can say that if you enjoy a similar retirement to what we are experiencing you will have an awesome next stage in your life together.

fannie, OrthmannJ and wagoninsane like this.
  14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's an absolutely beautiful piece of property! Congratulations on finding your Happiness Home!

fannie and OrthmannJ like this.
  15. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

5 dollars was plenty of money, back then