People who list on eBay and craigslist

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Shanwagon, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    In Nevada, they tune into some drone site, to shoot persons dead on sight, using keyboards.

2. rrbnut

rrbnut 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Wagon Garage:
    Hear hear ,even though I did sell one :(

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I did worse. I traded mine even for a 1949 pink Ford bondo bucket. It took about three years to buy it back.
    AAAJpegTrading Day 55 for 49.jpg

Grizz likes this.
  4. Shanwagon

Shanwagon New Member

Yes I guess I was wondering about the trust issue. Also because I've lost out on eBay when the sellers stopped their auctions before they ended and I was high bidder in a no reserve auction. Happened to me 3x. Maybe I'm unlucky? Lol

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can usually weed out the clowns on craigslist just by looking at the ads and how the car is presented. I bought one car sort of through ebay about 15 years ago when it was still decent and not completely filled with garbage. I say sort of through ebay because I didn't win the auction, but the seller contacted me after the winner backed out. It wound up working out for me. I've also bought three other cars through craigslist long distance sight (or is it site?) unseen aside from pictures. I'd like to think I have a good eye for sorting good cars from junk cars, but I could have also just been lucky. I have met some pretty awesome people this way. There is definitely a leap of faith you have to take when you agree to purchase a car several states away, hop on a plane and drive it home.

These days I don't know if I'd buy a car on ebay. Too many shady sellers and questionable auctions where cars appear to be sold and then pop back up later from the same seller. Either there are a lot of shill bids or people backing out of deals or both. I prefer craigslist because the asking price is (usually) known and there is no time pressure. I've lost out on a couple of cars on CL because I can't act as quickly as somebody local, but there is always another car. If you are patient, persistent, and maybe willing to travel some you can get some really good deals on cars. It isn't for everybody though and you need to be careful.

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know who this works on e-bay's auction site. But, selling through their regular add section, reliable sellers used to get stars, behing their handles, so that a potential buyer doesn't lose confidence. This was good for both. I don't know if they still do this. Because, these type of sites keep changing things around. Probably, to keep employed doing something. Since, the changes are mostly for the worse. They hardly ever keep a good thing intact.

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Unfortunately, ebay sellers can end an auction any time they want, up until a certain time. They can also opt not to sell a car or item, even if the car sells at a no reserve auction. A buyer's only recourse then is to leave negative feedback. Not all sellers are like that. I've been an Ebay seller (and buyer) since 1998. I've never sold a high dollar item, like a vehicle. I have 100% feedback, and keep it that way by providing great pictures, descriptions, and am clear about my terms. I start my bidding at a price I'm comfortable with, etc. Again, it's all about the seller. Unfortunately, there are some bad apples out there. Or, maybe some inexperienced ones, who don't know what they're doing. As a buyer, you've got to check out their feedback, look at their completed auctions so you can see their history (ie ending auctions early), etc. Otherwise, there's not much more you can do.

I bought my Montego wagon from an Ebay seller. He was a private individual using Ebay to sell his vehicle. I doubt he's used Ebay much since. He used Ebay for maximum exposure. It didn't meet reserve, I contacted him by private message, and we worked something out. It was a great experience.

I attempted to by a Torino convertible from an Ebay seller. He was a dealer. He turned out to be a slimeball. When his delivery guy showed up, it wasn't as advertised, and I refused delivery. It didn't go well.

All Ebay experiences will be different, as will Craigslist. It's going to be hit or miss. Unfortunately, there are dishonest people out there. You've got to do your research, talk to sellers on the phone to feel them out, etc. But, if purchasing a vehicle sight unseen, I recommend hiring someone to inspect it.

Poison_Ivy and ModelT1 like this.
  8. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I've never used Craigs List or E-bay but two of my sons do and get some good deals. The oldest has bought cell phones, parts, and computer things that I know of.
    The younger son in Florida got his job, car parts, and several trucks off E-bay and mostly CraigsList.
    Both showed me where sellers get stars or points to show the honest venders or at least regular listers.