Our New-to-Us 1978 Electra Estate Wagon Project

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    LKQ takes good care of their regular customers like our son. What he likes is everything is in sections like Ford trucks all together, etc. He likes the free engine pulling frame and other helpful things.
    They seem to give him bulk prices if he needs wiring harnesses, etc with a tranny or engine. Plus the holiday half price sales.
    I'm used to the old junk yards where you climb over rusty cars, wade thru oil and mud, and keep an eye on the junk yard dog.

An old coworker of mine still drives cars from one auction to another a few days a week. Another friend drives slow selling cars off one dealer lot to another in nearby towns and states.

2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    There are two yards for LKQ that I know of near me. One in Nashville and one in Smyrna. They were always a first choice for our shop. They won't let you rummage around the yard but they know exactly what they have down to the last bolt and would deliver, which cut down on "drive time"

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Our son plays with dead cars and trucks as a hobby. The local LKQ apparently lets some customers roam. He does call when in doubt and they know pretty much if a 1987 S-10 has a gearshift knob, good grille, and starter.

4. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Btw, great progress mike!!! I think the boy will like the cd/blue tooth jazz you installed. And the speakers in the back although oversized actually look really good. Nice custom work that the young folks will get a kick out of I'm sure. Reminds me of the good ol days when my "old grandma stormy" would take me to and from school, we would be at a light with some joker blaring the sub woofers and grandma would say "well isn't that nice of that fella to let us listen to his music too"

Silvertwinkiehobo and 81X11 like this.
  5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hopefully Eddie doesn't attempt to blow the speakers out blasting the stereo. Oh Kids! Ha!

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Generally, LKQ doesn't have 'You pull it' service. Their wheelhouse is service to the rebuilding industry - auto body and auto repair shops. I think they may have a few self-service yards that they've acquired over time though. Also, they own Keystone Automotive - supplier of aftermarket parts, wheel repair, etc....

7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Wow. They must have trouble finding suitable yards up here after Pick 'n' Nose blew through here several years ago.

9. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Had no idea this one landed with the forum community after being first posted in 2015. Quite a looker. Great find.

10. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep my friend Rich out in the Texas Hill Country bought it and shipped it down here. When it arrived he realized it was a bit more of a project than he wanted to tackle, so he gave it to my son Eddie for he and I to tinker with....and we've been tinkering with it since! With a little luck the car will legally be back on the road for the fist time in decades soon.

-Mike

11. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Kevin! Once again showing me up in my own back yard. I clicked the link and turns out there is one close by me. In my defense, it has only been there a year or so, after the kids were born and the shop sold but I do pass it on my way to the traditional yards. Thanks Kev!

12. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Cool. Great color combination and loaded up. Glad this Buick is being brought back to life. :)

13. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

Mike;
    I have to say thanks very much for your tip on the doors of these wagons! I followed your advice and cut some 1/2" pex to fit over the strikers, and man what a difference! Doors close like new again as all the bushings on my 78 were long gone. $3 for the pex plus about 10min to do all 4 doors. Do you recall if the same applies for the rear gate strikers? Mine don't look like they ever had bushings.

I talked to my father-in-law and had him check his 83 Parisienne for the same issue. His doors close fine, and it appears GM slightly changed the design and he has a slightly raised area on his striker so he doesn't appear to need the bushings.

101Volts and 81X11 like this.
  14. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've not tried this on my tailgate, since it closes fine. As for the newer car, GM changed the door latch design on the B-body cars in 1980 and they don't tend to have this issue.

15. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike... since I have extra pipe, I may just try the tail gate... mine closes fine too, but there are no bushings on it. I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I can easily pull them off!

81X11 likes this.