Newbie buying a 90's Roadmaster ?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Crownvic, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Another possibility?

Hi Silverfox,

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a lot easier to fly out and drive back than spend years fixing up a beater. It won't have all the power options or the towing package, and hopefully it isn't the smaller sized engine (was it a 305?).

That's a lot more like it, reminds me of my bought new 93 LX Crownvic with 83k miles. I may give them a call and if it checks out and the price is flexible, hire an inspector to check it out and take pictures? I know that's not the usual way things are done on Craigslist.

For starters I'll ask the seller for a VIN and better pictures. That should help determine the features and options from the visuals and that handy VIN checker website. I paid for a month's worth of Autochecks to verify the problem car, so I can also verify its mileage and title.

So far I get their answering machine, and I've noticed that Craigslist doesn't cancel ads properly for sold items. It was advertised over a month ago and probably already found a new home. But this illustrates that it is worth waiting for the right one. Thanks!

I'll let you know what I find out. It's hard to believe seller's claims after those made by the Real-Estate broker selling the first car, and giving his profession a bad rap using "used car salesman" unsubstantiated boasts. "Perfect! A dream to drive!" :eek:

Vic

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would like to know what you find out about this car. It doesn't look perfect but it is claimed to be a well cared for one owner and is likely unmolested. Also...let me know where it is exactly...I may be able to take a trip there to look at it for you.
    EDIT:
    Looked at the pix again...one shows the rubber molding on it and one shows it missing?? Common problem, by the way. No biggie...just a curious thing to have one pic show it on and one show it off. Also....why do you say it won't have the tow pack? All 96's had the LT1 engine. There were no others in that year.

3. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Better to go far than to get in deep!

Thanks for the crazy offer, that's at best a 2 hour drive each way! With all you know about these cars there's no professional inspector who could outdo you. True, it would be good to save the fresh ones for people who'll cherish them and keep 'em that way.

I'll patiently await their reply to my messages. Though five emails to another seller in the Vermont craigslist for a Caprice wagon got me no reply. This one at least has a phone number, with an answering machine...

A few rubber trim strips sure won't scare me away after that last one. :whew:

I like the fact that it was garage kept, as I plan to clay bar the paint and use Zaino to keep it sealed under the wax. During winter it would go under a felt cover, zipped inside a sealed car jacket (already got that) because reducing the airflow reduces oxygen exposure which causes ageing. Glad to learn that it is sure to have the full-fledged real deal LT1 and staying hopeful they ordered the tow package. :cool:

So I'll keep you posted the moment I hear back from them. If they do reply it might be with good news.

Vic

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't know you would be interested in a Cappy. I seem to recall seeing a couple of nice ones recently. Now, I have to go and pick up a car that a friend bought. I will be working on my wagon all next week but I will see if I can find something when time permits.

5. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    To ease your mind and the best of my knowledge, here is what was offered for motors in the Caprice, Roadmaster and Olds custom Cruiser wagons. There may be some other small differences in options, but a search on Wikipedia will be your best source of knowledge on the differences.

'91 305 in all 3
    '92 L05 TBI 350 in all 3, last year of the Olds Custom Cruiser
    '93 L05 TBI 350 in the Roadmaster and Caprice
    '94 LT1 in both the RMW and Caprice the easiest way to visually tell the 94 from a 91-93 is the dual exhaust
    '95 LT1 in both and they got the new window mounted door mirrors, that is the main difference, I also believe this is the year the aluminum wheels changed in design slightly
    '96 LT1 in both and the RMW was called Limited, nothing special as they all were, do not let a seller try to upsell the car because of the "Limited" title, they all were.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ordinarily, I don't look at MI cars but this guy claims there is no rust and it looks good and has low miles. Worth a call if you like the looks.

7. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Only one preference: leather

Hi Silverfox,

The only reason I had targeted RMW's first is because the whole family really loves their leather interiors. I know a few Caprices had leather seats as an option, and it was probably more common in Olds Custom Cruisers but they didn't last long enough to get the LT1.

Thx for all your suggestions.

Vic

8. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Sounds good too, no rust and low miles rocks my boat and wagon barge. :D

Vic

9. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Hi Blackfoot,

Thanks for the historical run down, this way I'll know which to shortlist. :cool:

Vic

10. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Reached the Chicago Seller - not too friendly + hung up

The ad dated back a month's time but the seller said it had sold A LONG TIME AGO. I guess 4 weeks is long...

So back to the drawing board, taking the time to find the right car. Let me know if any of you see one on your local Craigslist. :yup:

Also yesterday's seller called asking if I wanted his 95 RMW. I told him that I didn't like the ride. He says he still has the original steel rims and wire hubcaps with tires mounted, and that he could put them back on. But he said that the ride got rough when he mounted the Bilsteins after putting on the truck rims and tires. Maybe it's the stiff sidewalls on the tires, and he agreed. Anything to unload it I guess. He says the seats were torn like that when he bought it with... only 57k miles. Either he got stung and is passing along the hot potato, or isn't being forthcoming.

Vic

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    LMAO....I forgot to post the link for that MI Cappy. It was gorgeous and now gone. I think it MAY have lasted 2 days. The really good ones go fast and that is a problem for online shoppers that are far away from the car. The good ones just don't last long enough to make a trip or a deal.

12. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Movin' fast to buy a fast movin' car !

Hi Silverfox,

Thanks for getting back to me about that car. You're right these tend to get grabbed mighty quick if they're clean. All it takes is someone with a bit a cash and a touch of common sense, and it's sold. So I'm ready to get it together to make a purchase happen fast, with cash on hand and fingers on the keyboard. I get the feeling that the good deals are on craigslist and not ebay or autotrader. Those places are haunted by dealerships which get to the sellers first, plus there's huge exposure meaning that prices will be high or it will go instantly.

What I need to do is find some way to check craigslist postings nationwide for Roadies and Caprices. I'll see if I can figure out a way without spending half of each day entering all the locations and running searches.

Then if one is found, I'll need to check if it is still for sale, get its VIN and run a Carfax and then hire an inspector for $100. The only way at this stage to keep it for sale is to say I won't haggle on price. One always can later, if something turns up at inspection, but it pretty much removes you from a bargaining position when you get them to hold the car while you go through the moves. So I'd get an inspector there quick, I did that once in Florida and it alerted me to accident damage and spared me a trip. Before then I took a plane to see a car in California only to get it up on a lift and not like what was there. Car shopping gets too expensive that way.

Thanks for giving that MI car a try. With the other one in Chicago also claimed to be rust free there may be more to come up in good shape even up North? Like anything it all depends on PO behavior. They can drive 'em gently or stomp them, and they can wax and polish them or scrape them against trees.

So I'll be scouting, but like you say it isn't going to be simple from afar. If it's clean enough to eat off I'll forsake the leather for cloth, but it has a great luxury feel to it in leather. I even prefer vinyl to cloth seats, maybe 'cause they're easier to clean off and sturdier? When you're at a distance and seeking a desirable hard to find car, it is stupid to limit yourself to sets of characteristics which reduce the likelihood of finding the car and make you arbitrarily pass by otherwise good finds. So aside from it being an LS1 and "if possible" having leather, it's gotta be a nice fresh unmolested or easily fixed up long roof B-body ! :cool:

Thanks for a heads up if another one magically appears, preferably on the eastern half of the country - but if it drives I'm game any distance.

Cheers,

Vic

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    An aside.....switching out the seats is not a major problem. There are leather seats around for sale often. If you find a cherry with cloth seats don't let that be a deal breaker.

14. 94x2

94x2 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    If you google cl you can search nationwide for there. Just enter Buick roadmaster or Caprice.

I was going to suggest checking issf for more info but I see you're there. You can also check here

http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/forum.htm

I do a lot of reading and not much posting in either but I have learned a ton about these cars.

Btw, the drivers seat on my 95 has the same wear spot. I think it was poor design. Alos, the different seat issue is because the limiteds had a different pattern.

There are some really nice examples out there but the prices are not going down. If anything, they have stared creeping back up. As long as you find a good one that has no rust or major mechanical issues, everything else can be dealt with. Unfortunately, the youngest of these cars are now 14 years old!

Even if you don't have one yet, If you can make wagonfest in July it would allow you to see all kinds and meet some people. I wish I could go but this year it's not possible.

Jon

15. Crownvic

Crownvic New Member

Seats galore, widens the search all that more!

Wow that's great news! I didn't think it would be the case given that they're fairly old that you could find leather seats in good shape. Maybe those from other Buicks or Cadillacs would fit? But I'd rather keep it close to stock or at least in good taste, not pimping my ride... ;)

Thx for the idea.

Vic
    PS. Would the door trim need swapping out too, or is that the same regardless?