New southern member

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by gaiamon, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Yes, pretty much anything goes except for politics and other similar controversial subjects, just to keep it civil and without profanity to make it friendly for all. How about some pics of your wagons?

Grizz likes this.
  2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Permaculture
    [​IMG]
    Permaculture is a system of agricultural and social design principles centered on simulating or directly utilizing the patterns and features observed in natural ecosystems. Permaculture was developed, and the term coined by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren in 1978.
    Permaculture - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

Yeah I looked it up too and thought I would save a couple of others from looking it up. Sounds like an interest venture.

:Welcome: aboard. Sorry to hear about the engine troubles. These guys will do their best to help find what your looking for be it a new engine are another wagon all together.
    We always like to have a look at the wagons, it kinda puts a face to the name/issue.
    I wouldn't worry about staying on topic around here if there are two things we are good at it's wagons and rambling. Just keep it clean and be nice and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah...
    :ttiwwp: of your wagon that is...;)

Grizz likes this.
  3. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    That is a brilliant sentence

fannie likes this.
  4. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Eagle Freek, I'm up early with my cup of joe, and the sounds of guineas and chickens in the back ground.
    I had been thinking of how to present my "Gaia Girl" wagon to all of you. She is so different than anything that I have seen on here; as she was painted with murals of livings systems in dedication to me, and done by Cherokee-African children friends of mind. It's not me that has taken any photos, but hundreds of other people have; as this wagon and its colors has been up the East Coast as far as New York, out to Oregon, then California and back. Well his the catch...This wagon is parked at a friends farm land, and I will have to wait, untill I can get another friend with a digital camera to take some photos. Mind you everything is fading on the wagon now, and I only plan on keeping the rearend mural when I get her back on the road.
    I do have a photo of that little 82 "Honda Civic" wagon. And you might be able to appreciate this other photo too, of my 1955 Dodge Haights Asbury California "Hippy Wagon" straight out of Calif doing the days of Jim Jones. So here they are, if I can get this thing to upload!......Peaceeeee 101_1259.JPG 101_1257.JPG 101_1257.JPG

Attached Files:

5. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Fannie, you have just open up the subject of describing Permaculture, and sometimes it's described in many ways. A simple one is that, it's the intergration of Humans plants and animals, into systems that aid one another, with each systems having two or more functions, and which ultimitely BECOMES SELF STEERING, ie as in nature, running itself. Permaculture addresses food/housing/monetary/community and all other systems for human development. And by the way (RIP) "Bill" Mollison was my friend and mentor.
    Peaceeee to you fannie!

ModelT1, fannie and Grizz like this.
  6. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Cool pics. Don't ya just love those Georgia pines!

7. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Grizz, YES I DO!, and in another spot I have long leaf ones, as well as many other type trees. I am located surprisingly in the UP LANDS of south west central Ga, and what's call Beautiful Vistas..Most people think that this area is flat, but are taken back by the beauty of these high areas and it's many trees.........Peaceee

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I think I read an article in "garden and gun" a great southern living magazine, about the long leaf pine. Isn't it endangered? I guess I could google these things. Every time I drive through Georgia I'll tell my wife, "there's a long leaf pine! They are endangered you know." Really I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounds good:slap:

9. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Yeah Grizz you are right, they are very endangered, and very important to the ecosystem.......Peaceee

Grizz likes this.
  10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    In the short time I've been here I've noticed those old folks and a few youngunz get slightly off topic. At least a few of the older members have dementia for an excuse. You young unz just like to talk fancy and confuse us. Permaculture????????? Sounds like something I'd get done at the Walmart beauty parlor.
    Still most of what is written somehow relates to station wagons and other types transportation. We have to alter our conversation to keep y'all's attention.

I sorta giggled too about that meth labs comment. It seems we moved to Florida 23+years ago to avoid drugs and ended up right in the middle. Florida farmers have to take all of the chemicals in the house every night for safety.

Grizz and fannie like this.
  11. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

fannie likes this.
  12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I went back and read some of that Permaculture info. Interesting. When we lived near the Suwannee River in Florida we had the cutest little five acres we could wish for. {Mile walk thru the game preserve} Had small areas of woods yet at least two acres out front in lawn. Across the dirt road is an 80 acre slash pine forest, one of Florida's main crops now. At the end of the 1/2 mile dead end is an 80 acre forest.
    We tried to grow a garden, palm trees, roses, fruit and nut trees. All we ever grew were weeds and fire ants so gave up.
    But it sure was a fun place to beat on old cars, cut them up, paint without a booth, and weld.
    Next door neighbors gave us dead ferrel hog, deer, other critters, and sometimes garden veggies.

In Florida we discovered a fruit stand and flea market on every corner. It was easier and cheaper to pick fruit there. My dreams of fishing in the river and the Gulf also fell thru. Also cheaper to buy fresh off a roadside truck or BoxMart.

Now we have 1/2 acre in the bible belt, tornado alley, central Illinois with 25'-30' pines all along the west lot line. Too much shade. With a small house, garage, patio, and drive there's no place to grow anything except more weeds. At my age I just spray the weeds so I don't have to bend over so picking crops is out of the question. In season the local fruit stands have fresh food cheaper than a bag of potting soil and fertilizer. So our culture is buy what they sell.

I realize if power goes off and stores close down we're in trouble. But we don't eat much and a random squirrel or neighbor's cat will last us a week. Dandylines make good tea, salad, and medicine.

Grizz and fannie like this.
  13. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    We have all probably heard about these frontier applications for dandelions but c'mon, have you actually tried any of these?! If someone put dandelions on my salad I'd get rid of them and hire a NEW personal chef!!:rofl:

ModelT1 likes this.
  14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I'm still training my old personal chef and she was raised in a little house on the prarrie. Besides we have a bumper crop of dandelions right now.
    These midwestern dandelions have a brighter yellow and a sweeter taste than those red clay southern dandelions filled with Fire Ants.

Grizz likes this.
  15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. I hope you get the issue with the country squire straightened out.