Need a lil woodgrain, HELP

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by gpd294, Aug 15, 2010.

1. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

I was looking through some old photos at my Mom's today of when I was a kid and discovered that the back air deflector from the roof rack on my Dad's Torino Wagon had a wood grain design on it.

So I pose the question, does anyone have any extra or left over peel-n-stick wood grain vinyl that are willing to part with it? From the 70's era photo, it looks similar to the darker woodgrain similar to the photo below.

The dimensions of what I need are 4 inches by 40 inches.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

[​IMG]

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'll check tomorrow and let you know. Mine's the JC Whitney vinyl - dark walnut.;)

3. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Way back when I had my 73 GTorino Wagon I put green reflective tape on the wind deflector. The car was green so it kinda matched.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I kept all my cutoffs from doing my wagon for nicks and small projects. This oddball piece is where I mirror-cut the front fender pieces. It's 44 inches long with the narrow 'neck' at 4-7/8" wide and 5" at the pointed tip (RH side). All those other curled pieces are too short. Backing is virgin (never removed), so the adhesive is alive and well. Use a hotgun. Hairdryer heat isn't enough. Let me know? Snail Mail is about 10 days and no customs paperwork. I've got mailtubes. Like TBirdsps did for me - No charge. Just click on the "MY GARAGE: 1". to see if its the colour you're looking for.

airdam_vinyl_01.jpg airdam_vinyl_02.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Norm, you ALWAYS seem to come through. :dance:

The install on this stuff is peel and stick? or what is the heat gun used for?? Possible wrinkles or air bubbles??? Please explain.

And thank you very much for the generous offer! I'll send ya a PM with my contact info.

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, you need to trim it approximately the shape and size you need and leave some extra all around - you can trim it with an Exacto or box-cutter after. Clean the surface bone dry with acetone and let it dry good - 10 minutes or so. Peel off the backing and apply (need a helper on a wide piece like that to hold up what you haven't smoothed down. Use a soft plastic spatula with clean edges and corners (no burrs). If you get air bubbles, use one of your wife's longer sewing needles and just prick them, smooth out the vinyl where you did that, and do the next bubble.

Yours is a small enough piece that you could use the heat gun as you go. Since its potmetal underneath it will hold the heat longer, so don't overheat or you'll stretch the vinyl too much. You could use a damp cloth to smooth out the bubbles before you use a needle.

Here's my woodgrain Guru's HOW-TO.
    http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/wood.html

EDIT: The adhesive is heat reactive and bonds better to the surface. Otherwise people could more easily pick it off.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Soft cloths are cotton or wool, not synthetics - they scratch when you rub on hot vinyl. Flannel works good or an old Cotton T-shirt.