My Official 1992 Roadmaster Thread

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 1tireman, Mar 24, 2014.

1. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It was based on a lot of thought more than a lot of things I have done.

I picked up bad diesel in Jesuit Bend, Louisiana. 35 gallons in a dually I had. Pulled the fuel filter half way home
    and changed it on side I10 and looked like mold and bacteria all over filter. That was my first experience with bad
    diesel. Made it home and dropped the tank. Now if I use the one my dad has I make sure I get it from someplace
    with a high turn around because these days to lay on a ground to do that would take me a month or longer and
    with my onry paw that ain't happening. :)

2. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    With your O2 sensor issues and the start up/stumble, you should check the ground at the thermostat housing. When it is cold, remove the nut and lugs, then remove the stud. Clean the threads in the manifold with a wire gun barrel brush (maybe in a drill), and some WD40 or similar. Then clean the threads on the stud with a wire brush, and some more solvent/cleaner.

The stud is the ground for the computer, and the O2 sensor. If it is weak, the O2 sensor reads the mixture as lean, and the computer makes it richer. The rich mixture will clog your cat quickly.

I find it amazing that GM would put a ground with a steel screw in an aluminum part right next to water. That is only eclipsed by Chrysler putting a grounding bolt through to the water jacket in a 440, and hoping it does not rust.

3. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the info I will definitely check it out. (y)

4. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    BTW, the ruby red interior was a one year color for the 93 RM. They continued to use the color in the 94+ cars, but they had different interiors. The other red is dark maple red, and is a noticeably different shade. You should hoard the interior parts whenever you find them, because they are hard to find, and easy to break, especially the front door panels. You can repair moderate size cracks with MEK, and some scrap plastic glued on the back side for reinforcement. They are styrene. The dash pad is also notorious for cracking, and some have even watched their dash crack before their own eyes. You can replace it with any 91-93 RM or OCC pad, and use SEM Universal Color Coat paint (mixed to match in spray cans) to make it match your interior.

I have a big stash of spare parts, and if you need something, check the link in my sig. Not much in ruby red, but you can paint to match.

5. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Fred, I appreciate that.
    Here is a question someone here may be able to help with. I took it out this evening for a 8 mile drive. Drove 4
    miles went in parts store, come out it was hard to start. Running very rich now, got it cleared out and run 4 miles
    back home, ran great again. Sit in yard and it died, got started again, cleared out ran, then died again. Evert time
    From running rich. Started again and it wouldn't do it, I ran, kill it and it kept starting right up. Did it 7 or 8 times
    ran fine. Would that ground do that, or the o2 sometimes but not all the time? Thought I had it figured out but guess
    oldfox put the gree gree on me!

6. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    Those are the exact symptoms of a bad ground at the thermostat.

7. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    It was running a little rich the other day but nothing bad. Today was furthest I drove since 300 mile trip home
    which it run terrific on, then that evening it started running bad and seen the cat cherry red. Cut it off run fine but
    a little rich but not enough to kill engine. Today it wasn't noticeable until I got back in to start it up, guess I know what
    I will be checking this weekend. Does that ground run back into harness?

8. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    I just realized that you have a 92 (I should read more carefully), so you have the dark maple red interior. It is a little more common, but still hoard door panels, and dash pads. The 91-92 OCCs, and Caprices came with the same color. Seats are different in the OCC and Caprice. If you ever find a nice set of OCC seats in DMR, cloth or leather, I would be interested in them. I am also looking for a gate interior in excellent condition, with the holes across the top intact. I would even consider another color, because I can paint to match.

If your arm rests are coming apart, you can fix them with Gorilla Glue. Spray a little water inbetween the frame and cover foam, squirt a 1/8 inch line of GG in the same place, then use packing tape to tightly wrap it in place while the glue sets overnight (you have to wrap it very tight). Unwrap in the morning, and use Goo Gone to remove any tape residue, and a razor blade to trim any glue that oozed out.

9. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    I see someone had my tailgate panel off at one time because I noticed the lock not lined up with hole.
    The 3rd brake light is out and laying in back. I am suspecting the little contacts must be dirty and someone
    was fooling with it, not sure.

10. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    I believe there are actually 3 wires that connect to the lugs. I am not sure which one is which, but they go back into the main engine harness at the same place as the temp sensor.

The engine seemed to run fine, until it went into closed loop, then it went crazy. The idle air control would go full one way, and the engine would die. The computer uses a base number when it is out of closed loop, and when it transitions, it uses the O2 signal. Since the computer uses the same ground, it does not have a proper reference for something, and I believe it is the IAC.

11. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    I just realized what I asked and what you said, sorry a little slow this week been a rough one. Yes it would run back
    in harness and to the computer. Take it and ground to exhast bolt, now oldfox can really bust my chops, that was a
    brain freeze I was experiencing!

12. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    You must have the gate handle to attach the third brake light. The screws that hold it on have a double trace. If you get the larger trace of the screw in the smaller one on the handle, it strip out the plastic handle. I turn the bolts in with my fingers until they are almost tight, then carefully use a wrench to snug them up. If you can not turn them in with your fingers, you have the large trace where the small one should be.

If you can get a handle and contact pad at the junk yard good for you. If not, I can sell the contact pad for $5 each shipped. It can be replaced without changing out the whole base. I have a couple of good handles for $20 each, and I would send a contact pad with it as well as the gasket, and screws.

13. Fred Kiehl

Wagon Garage:
    Since this is our first encounter, I was being very nice. If I knew you better, I might have said...no, the wires just dangle along side of the engine.

Henceforth, you will be the subject of sarcasm and ridicule for questions like that.

14. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    Don't worry if Denny or oldfox don't bust my chops on a dailey basis I walk right next door
    to my house where my mom and dad live and my dad lets me have it! I sometimes feel like
    Rodney Dangerfield! Have to admit I would of scratched my head myself if I would have been
    asked that and wondered " Is that boy on something?"

15. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    As OldFox says we only tease you because we love you!:rofl2:
    Keep in mind this is MAN LOVE only!;)