My Daddywagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by nelzltdwagon, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

And to think my sister in law junked an LTD sedan similar to yours... Man, now I wish I'd have gotten my hands on that thing 'cause I see incomplete fox body mustangs all around. May just sideline my plans for a Cutlass project after my wagon is finished and find another LTD II sedan, that looks a bit like the ultimate sleeper. Can you say Derelict LTD? Love the stock look too man, keep up the good work.

2. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Liking the looks of the Daddywagon!

3. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Love what you are doing with that wagon! I really love the idea of a 351 under that hood. That will go like stink! Just remember, in the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis with a 351, the rear axle was a 2.73 when you got the 'Performance' ratio. The base was a 2.24. The torque peak comes in at 2,200 rpm, and there is a LOT of it. In my 89, I had to run Comp T/A HR-4s just to keep it on the road in anything but dry weather. In the lighter Fox, it will be even hairier. The good thing about that is that the fuel economy is way better than you could ever expect because the revs are so low on the highway. When your engine is turning under 1,600 rpm, and the throttle is barely cracked, the fuel gauge barely moves until you give it a LOT of throttle, then hold on tight. With the GM, I never did find the top speed. I never even came close, and I did have the needle buried a couple of times. There was a reason for running H speed rated tires! Also, the factory 351 in the big cars was carbureted. The factory VV is a pain and a half to keep working. An Edelbrock Performer intake and square bore carb works an absolute treat.

4. nelzltdwagon

nelzltdwagon Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the well-wishes, compliments, and advice! It really is good to hear all the words of encouragement, and that others share my enthusiasm for this build. As far as the gearing goes, the rear out of the cobra is geared at 3.55:1 from ford. The 351 in my head at the moment is a street engine with ford eec-iv fuel injection. I have 24lb injectors and a mass-air meter to match. With a strictly street car in mind, I am going to try the long rod 351 which was briefly popular about 5 - 10 years ago.
    Here is a list of parts that I will be trying to put together for the engine:
    F4TE roller cam 351 windsor block and crank / 351m/400 connecting rods / kb333 pistons (available from summit) / gt-40 cast iron cylinder heads / either lightning or marine lower intake, if these are too hard to find I'll just go aftermarket.

5. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:To the party NEIZZZZZZWAGON, AW HELL, You know who you are:). If you're gonna play with that 5.0L, you might consider picking up one of Jack Roush's cataloges. All kinds of go fast goodies in there. Where'z that Evil smile Icon?:tiphat: Keep goin' Man I'm lovin' what your doin', Jer

6. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    hot mama !!!

hooya, tooya, booya!

7. nelzltdwagon

I picked up a set of gt40 cylinder heads, but I think I overpaid for a set of rough heads. I'm hoping they are salvageable. I'm gonna have to be more particular.

8. nelzltdwagon

Well, spent most of the day removing the stock rubber bushing from the new rear's subframe. Looked at the heads again and they're gonna need a rebuild but for my purposes should hopefully be ok.
    img_2976.jpg img_2981.jpg img_2974.jpg

9. nelzltdwagon

The maximum motorsports tool worked great for removal of old bushings!
    img_2978.jpg img_2982.jpg img_2984.jpg img_2985.jpg

10. nelzltdwagon

Next up is the cleanup of bores for installation of new bushings. Maybe if I have time before work tomorrow.
    img_2977.jpg

11. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    ill say it again....thats a bitchin grocery getter man;)

12. nelzltdwagon

Thanks Rev and others! I'm trying to keep this project going. I really don't have much time to work on it, but I'm trying.

13. nelzltdwagon

The bushings are finally installed. I am going to try to begin installation tomorrow. Of course I will take pictures and post up all my progress or lack thereof. The solid axle should come out pretty easy since nothing was hooked up yet. Never got around to brakes and the already mentioned driveshaft issues. For those of you doing irs bushings, they go right in by hand if you don't have the crush sleeves in them. Took me a bit to figure that one out.

14. nelzltdwagon

I did not get it done today. But I tried.

15. nelzltdwagon