Lift suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Grizz, Jan 22, 2019.

1. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    have a look at Derek Weaver they sell lifts for short money. I got a big 4 post for around $3k. My lift came with a dolly system so I can move it around the shop. Freight is expensive and set up will requite a couple of friends and a case of beer.Parts are heavy. Plugs into a regular wall outlet. I like it.

2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I looked at weaver. I don’t think I could find anybody to install it. I’ve done 3-4 lift set ups and I’d rather have a pro do it. I’m not sure I could find anyone to help. Most of the people I know who could help aren’t around anymore for various reasons. Hence the reason I joined this forum actually. Boo hoo.:( I might get a weaver tire balancer. I’ve been looking around for a good used one and I might just bite the bullet on something new

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I got mine I also got a price from my local NAPA dealer. It was a delivered and installed price. In Hind site I would have been better off going that way.

4. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Hmmm, haven’t thought of asking a parts dealer. At the shop We got ours from o’reillys but I guess I just thought it was the rep. Pulling strings. I guess they’ll take anybody’s money though huh?

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Or just use common sense, in putting it together. What's critical is the stability of your concrete floor. Did you already take a lift into account, before pouring it? You want to assure that the ground you were pouring concrete onto is stable enough and unvulnerable to sink-holing. Once you've had the ground geologically assesed, it's best to have a minimum gravel content, in that dirt. Further precautions would be to use layers of steel grading in your floor and an approved minimum concrete thickness. To be on the safest side, covering your concrete slab with a half inch steel plate would do. You could then supplement the lift's anchoring to the concrete, through welding the beams onto the plate itself.

Here are the company's instructions for mounting:
    https://www.derekweaver.com/learn/2-post-lift/

[​IMG]

6. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    That link is just various lift information I think. Like I said I’ve done it before. Pretty sure we borrowed a fork lift from across the street. It took 4 people a couple hours. I also remember there being too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I’ll pay a professional, that way I have someone to blame when something goes wrong

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe, you should give the chiefs access to firewater and then watch them fight like Indians. Get it all on video and sell it to Discovery Channel. That way, the lift and professional both get paid off and you won't need to bother with banking anymore

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Discovery channel?!:biglaugh::rofl2:

9. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In the market for one myself. Won't buy a Chinese one as I don't care to trust my life to 10 year old welders and steel made from my old soup cans.
    I bought a gently used "import" but never could bring myself to install it, wound up selling it to another.
    Trying hard now to find a used 10k assym. Rotary in good shape, tough to find.
    I've made a connection with a local fellow that has been selling and servicing Sears auto centers for a long time. With all of the store closings he expects some used inventory. Fingers crossed he finds me a good one at good price.
    I'll cough up the $4500 or so for a new if push comes to shove.

Grizz likes this.
  10. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I been doing a lot of shopping Around. If money wasn’t such an option I would probably go with a Tomahawk. Never used one but they’re American made and look cool. Most likely going with the challenger because I’m familiar with them. I liked it better than the rotary or bendpack which were pretty much identical. He challenger was quicker and I liked the extensions and feet better. I get you on the American made stuff though. I try to buy American when I can but the difference is about 1,500 bucks

11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    All this talk about Tomahawks, Chiefs. Indians and Firewater. You know, the script has written itself, already. Talk about an entertainment cocktail. Put all of this together, then Discovery Channel's involvement should be inevitable.
    Time out for a music break

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I stumbled upon this, while looking up your favorite lift: http://i1os.com/WdmbFcW-J18.video+related
    What?! I thought that new tarifs were supposed to stop all of that
    You might get lucky, like that guy in the video, and get one used, within your budget. If not, I'd either try to get up those fifteen hundred bucks somehow else or try putting down cash and pay the rest in installments. Like ross writes, you don't want something over-priced welded together by housepets fried in gutter oil eaters

Now, we're getting Mohawks involved. It's getting even more exiting, by the minute

[​IMG]

This one looks like plenty of fun, as soon as weight suddenly shifts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    These are the Indians you should be having around, instead

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Not a big fan of the new Indians. Maybe it’s because I love the old ones so much I was disappointed. They look like Kawasaki Vulcan to me for some reason

15. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    if your looking for financing check summit racing . you can probably get about 18 months free financing