Just got another project - '58 Ford Skyliner

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Breadbox, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Interesting to see the adjustable rockers. If you could somehow find a solid roller camshaft, that would go a long way to making the engine last longer. And it sucks you had tools stolen; I had my Exploder broken into a month ago, and they didn't take everything, but they got most of my 1/4" drive sockets, ratchets and my HF battery-powered rattle gun with a full impact socket set. Never shown up in any local pawn shop, as far as the pawn shop owners are concerned.

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

It's ironic, but the same question was raised when we began restoration on our 59 Fairlan Galaxie. was it a Y block? was it a 312 or a 352? From my research the difference between the two is the placement of the distributor.

3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

There were no 312's in 59. They were only offered in 56 and 57, however the 292 was offered clear up until the 289 came out. Y blocks have a valley cover under the intake, the crankshaft is completely enclosed within the block and the exhaust manifolds are fairly distinctive. Distributor is in the rear. FE blocks have no valley cover and the intake comprises 1/2 of the cyl heads. You almost need an engine crane to install one because they are heavy as hell and the end gaskets keep popping out when you go to tighten them down. The main bearing caps hang below the block, and the distributor is in the front. There are other differences as well.

Good part numbers for the 57 312's always start with ECZ on the heads and manifolds.

I've never seen a 332 which was offered only in 1958 and those adjustable rockers and that thing in the right front of the valley threw me off.

4. Breadbox

Breadbox Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    That thing in the right front of the valley is what's left of the distributor. It's totally seized, and in the process of trying to get it off, I broke the casting. After that I just hit it with a hammer so I could get the intake manifold off. If it's that far seized, I figured it needed replacement anyway. I got the heads off. The castings and the valves are salvageable, but the rockers are totally seized. Anyway, 7 of the 8 cylinders look good. The 8th?
    [​IMG]

I took the timing chain cover off too. This is pretty much what everything looks like down there.
    [​IMG]

5. OrthmannJ

I should have clarified my original statement. The previous owner of our 59 claimed it had a 312. I was under the impression that engine was not offered in 59, but that's what he said it was. We figured it could have possibly been swapped at some point and that is why we researched the external differences. Thanks for your info.

6. OrthmannJ

Well breadbox, it looks like you've got some work ahead of you. It's not getting any "prettier".
    Thanks for the update. good luck with your progress.

7. Breadbox

Breadbox Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]
    The tappets are still seized in the block, so I can't get the camshaft out, but I was able to get the rest of the engine stripped down.

[​IMG]
    The crankshaft looks pretty good.

[​IMG]
    Not so sure about the cylinder bores though. This is the worst one.

[​IMG]
    Here are the pistons, all cleaned and degreased. I'm going to try buffing them and see how much of this is surface.

[​IMG]
    The timing chain cover's all clean and degreased too.

[​IMG]
    And here's the oil pan, inside and out.
    [​IMG]

It started out looking like this. So progress is being made.
    [​IMG]

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

If it's a Y block, the tappets come out from the camshaft side, not the valley side. The cam has to be removed to get them out.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

You need to make up a batch of Kroil (Google the formula). Soak the tappets with the block upside-down and keep putting fresh Kroil on every day until those tappets move. You'll have to clean the block before you can even do any measurements, but I'd be actively looking for a replacement block if this one fails measurements or Magnafluxing.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

And it looks like something peppered the eighth piston, as if a valve lost those chunks.

11. OrthmannJ

That's progress! And hey, you conveniently happen to have an old washer available to clean your engine parts! ;) It may get a little noisy when it gets to the spin cycle though... :rolleyes:

12. Breadbox

Breadbox Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nothing convenient at all about that. That's our only washer and dryer in the basement and I brought everything in through the window so I wouldn't have to carry it all through the house and down the basement stairs. The dryer in the picture looked a little better until I dropped the intake manifold on it getting it in through the window. Anyway, more progress, less pictures. I took out the inner front fenders and sanded them down and repainted them along with the radiator support. Most of the engine bay is degreased. The hood hinges are repainted, as is the heater box and fan, and all the smaller engine parts. Mostly been cleaning, degreasing, sanding, and repainting. The next major step is getting the block to the machine shop to be cleaned and freshened. Last weekend I pulled the transmission and driveshaft so I can replace the seals in it and the rear end. I do have one picture though. While I was cleaning the engine bay, I decided to see what would happen if I got out some wax and a clay bar and clean the firewall.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. OrthmannJ

That is quite impressive.

14. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Be very careful with the wiring.
    A 58 year old car has brittle insulation so unless you are replacing, be gentle.
    Love that firewall! (y)

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Any updates?