Interior Mustang Mods

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Stormin' Norman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Snooter! I was so pleased with it last nite, that I forgot to try the radio. Just did it! What a difference! Those baffles in the back and the angled door speakers and new dash tweeters, let me hear it all, Clean and true. Barely have to move the volume control, from maybe 20%, maybe. Not going to install an AMP. That's how good it is.

Yeah, I'll give her a wash and wax and take pics today.

2. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That's it for this year!

Even refinished the snow tire wheels for mid-November installation.

Here's the results, minus the excellent stereo sound.:evilsmile:
    Power Door Lock bolt is behind the Mexican Ford VIN plate.
    int_v3_1010_08.jpg

Takes about a week to stop reaching for the column shift, but sure is nice. :evilsmile: And yes, the ebrake can stop the car. Thanks again Tedy for that tube tip for the cables at the floorpan curve. Like a charm. (y)
    int_v3_1010_07.jpg

1985 Lincoln door speakers inside the map pockets.
    int_v3_1010_04.jpg int_v3_1010_06.jpg int_v3_1010_03.jpg

Split fold-down Mustang seat backs. I'll use the Color Bond spray to dye them. If I had the new stove installed I'd use the RIT dye, but if I find a good used serger, I'll do my own upholstery. I kept the brown seat back upholstery from the 1984 LTD that the brown interior came from.
    int_v3_1010_05.jpg

I took this last nite to show the Lincoln rear speaker grilles' angle. It does make a difference.
    int_v3_1010_02.jpg

Headliner DIY might get done this week.

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The wife is back, all rested, shopped out, talked out, and refreshed. Loves the car too.

I'll go today to get the headliner from the only Farimont wagon I know of in a JY, around here. And pick out some fabric/vinyl. 3M's 80 adhesive.

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

That interiour looks awesome Norm, job well done!(y)(y)(y)

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I'm really happy with it. This is probably the last week to do much more on it. She's winterized except for installing the snow tires. brrr. Nights are dipping down to -1C (30F) by Saturday. Daytime around 12C for maybe 10 more days. You know how reliable our weather folks are.:rofl2:

6. MEANVN

MEANVN New Member

love this wagon, i may have to start looking at importing one to ny driveway

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks!

I'm sure you have had Ford Mustang or Mercury Capri cars in OZ since 1979. Mine has seats, door panels and carpet from a 1984 LTD sedan. The dash and console come from a 1981 Capri. The I6 - 3.3L engine and transmission are from a 1978 Ford Fairmont, but the engine can come from most of the OZ Fords (and they were offered with Turbo and EFI - ours weren't). The new front grille is from a 1979 to 1982 Zephyr. and the wheel covers are from a 1984 LTD. All were Fox-bodied Ford/Mercury models. My wife is Mexican, and Fox in Spanish is ZORRO. Since I used parts from so many Fox cars, I might get a new nameplate made like "Zorro IV".:yup:

I'm going to replace the headliner next week. Mine came with an old hoop-type because it was built in Mexico, but the new headliner uses the more modern foam-backed fabric on backing hardboard from another 1980 Fairmont wagon (front section) and the division bar, and the rear section comes from a 1985 LTD sedan, modified to fit.

Sound system is from a 1984 Cougar (AM/FM/Cassette stereo) with the speakers coming from a couple of Lincolns (mid-1980s). I was going to use a stock Premium Sound amplifier, but I couldn't find a stock Fairmont switch. But now that its all installed with the better speakers, I don't need an amplifier. The secret was using the Linclon baffles and tilting the speaker mounts upward about 5 degrees, in the back cargo area, and using the uptilted door mounts from the 1985 Lincoln Signature model for the front door speakers.

I wanted to hear clean music, not melt the wax out of my ears. :rofl2:

8. Wagonmaster Russ

Wagonmaster Russ New Member

:2_thumbs_up_-_anima:2_thumbs_up_-_anima:2_thumbs_up_-_anima:2_thumbs_up_-_anima:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Russ!(y)

I started a thread on DIY headliners and continued to use it for my upgrade. The weather is warming up enough to spray the adhesive outdoors (my wife is very sensitive to chemicals and dust) next week, so I'll finish that thread and post pics in both threads (here too.)
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11260

10. MEANVN

MEANVN New Member

with spray adhiesive, i stoped using it as it doesnt seem to stay long, the stuff i use is from a local motor trimmer and they spray it on the foam backing and i can still take it home then roll it out on my roof and works better,

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    This is not Permatex. It's 3M's 77 adhesive, made for the foam-backed fabric.

12. brad0069

brad0069 New Member

It is so kool that you use so many different oem parts. Great job!

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Brad. I never realized how many Fox models shared the same parts until I did this. A real eye opener. If I had a shop to work in and store parts, I'd take a shot at using a dash from a 1984 to 1989 Cougar or TBird, with gauges of course.

I'd still like to try putting a roof Crown moulding at the C-pillars. The 1979 and 1980 Lincoln Versaille (really a Granada underneath) or the 1980-81 TBird had them as part of the Vinyl Roof trim. I think the 1979 to 1982 Mercury Zephyr Coupe had one too. I'd have to modify the roof rack for length (stubby).