Info Needed - 91-96 GM Wagon folks (Buick,Chev, Olds)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by carguyray, Feb 9, 2016.

1. carguyray

carguyray Crazy Car Collector

Greetings!
    As some of you know I've recently purchased a '94 Roadmaster EW. I've been looking for the right one for years and now I've got it!

I'm trying to find out tow things from those of you who already have these GM wagons.

1) I went in to a local (good reputation) mobile audio shop to see about getting a touchscreen stereo put in so I can hook up a backup camera to it. (I drive rental cars ALL the time and have become very used to one (spoiled) for bigger cars). However, they told me that a large screened head unit won't fit in those cars w/out "cutting up the dash". (I understood this to mean the faceplate surround area). Well, since hearing that I saw a picture recently where there was what appeared to be a standard, non modified, dash of a Roadmaster wagon with a Pioneer touchscreen head unit. Since I can't find that picture again I'm hoping some of you have some info on this. If you've done it yourself I'd love to hear from you directly so I can get detailed info.

2) The only thing 'wrong' with my Buick is the rear window "pop" isn't working. The button on the dash causes a noise in the tailgate area, and the same when you press the button on the remote, but it won't unlock the window. The previous owner said it stopped working "a LONG time ago". It sounds to me like something is rattling around in there and I'm hoping there's some history of this issue with some of you. The window still unlocks just fine with the key at the back, but that's the only way to open it.
    ANY information on what to look for, what to do, and where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for reading and ANY information you can offer on these topics.

PS: Any wagon lovers in the Portland OR (Seattle WA) areas drop a note. I'd love to bring a couple wagons to some shows when others can too.

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Fullsizelover

Fullsizelover Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I had a 96 Impala and I looked for the same thing before I sold it.
    Try google "Detail SS double din kit" or check the ImpalaSSforum which has good info.

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry, can't help you with your RMW issues, but I can help you with your P.S. ..... if you're on FB, that is.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/471623039622456/

Northwest Longroofs Facebook page group. We should be meeting up in the spring sometime for a cruise....

4. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

5. carguyray

I had checked out Crutchfields before and thought that link might be something different, but when I put in 94 Roadmaster I only got 'single DIN' style radios. Either ones with a small screen, or 'pop up' style large screens. I'm trying to avoid both of those.

So here's a new question. Do the 95/6 versions have a different radio style (Double DIN?)

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

You'll need to remove the trim surround to see the height and width of the head unit (can't exactly call them 'radios' anymore), then remove it and measure the depth. I suspect this is the problem with installing what you want, as newer GM head units became shallower to be able to cram more gear in under the dash assembly.

7. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

I'd take the tailgate trim off and see if anything came loose in that latch unit if the solenoid makes noise.

Crutchfield shows the '94 as having a 1.5 DIN/3" tall and the '95-'96 as double DIN/4" tall.
    They don't make much in 1.5 DIN anymore so you're limited to a single DIN unit with a dash kit I would guess.
    If it matters, you do lose electronic climate control display dimming when you install an aftermarket radio.
    It drove me nuts at night in my Custom Cruiser, I have an original radio with upgraded CD player and MP3 input now.

8. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    or you can get a gps unit that has a backup cam.When you don't need it pop it in the glove box. Please don't cut up the dash. so many cars I ruined as a youth in search of "the tunes"

9. Bad Taten

Bad Taten Well-Known Member

10. carguyray

Thanks so much for that parts link. I just received the shop mnl. set and will get to look it over this weekend when I'm home but that's exactly what I expected was something like that (small plastic part screws up the entire thing). I'll post what I find when I can get it fixed.

11. carguyray

Blue:
    Ah yea... off by a year, story of my life. :)
    I'm not going to chop anything up, I was really hoping for the bigger display, but if that's the case I'll just go with the back up cam in the rear view mirror. Not nearly as big, but I'm not about to 'chop up' my cars so it will have to do. Maybe I can find one with home link and get it all.

Thanks for the info guys, I love being part of this kind of community.