I think people just don't appreciate 70's up wagons....

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by CapriceEstate, Feb 8, 2009.

1. rrbnut

rrbnut 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Wagon Garage:
    I took my wagon to the car wash last week, paid inside, then drove up to the wash, the young cashier actually came out and asked me if I'd sell the car!!! :) The this morning at Home Depot two contractors loaded up their truck and when I got out of the car they started talking to me about the wagon - they remember, they always loved them, you don't see many anymore etc. i really get that a lot and it is not even a 70's wagon.

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I agree.

Poison_Ivy and 101Volts like this.
  3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Aye.
    Maybe, you should pull up in front of some Tupperware Party, bridge club or shoe store, to see what audience you might get. Beware, though, of Cougars coming up to your window, asking for autographs.

4. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My '73 never got any respect until the last 3-4 years, now everyone waxes nostalgic about their childhood in one. I know my 1990 Olds Custom Cruiser was derided and disrespected everywhere I went when I owned it 15 years ago...

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I never gave a crap as to others' opinions. I got use out of the wagons I've owned, enjoyed driving them and only had to junk two out of the five I've owned. The other three were sold.

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Remember this get no respect movie? This almost killed me. Too funny:

7. Dan Scully

Dan Scully Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    DSC02213.jpg Most people do not have a clue about old cars in general. I was at a light in the 64 and a younger guy asked what type of vehicle it was ,so I thought he meant Ford ,Chevy ect. He said no what TYPE is it. I than told him station wagon .:slap:

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, we're trying, Dan.......
    That's something, that the kid had never seen a station wagon before.....

9. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I can be at car shows with my wagon, and a family with young kids will walk up, and the kids will ask "What kind of car is this?" to their parents. Most kids of younger generation have never seen a station wagon. The parents, or sometimes myself, will explain what a station wagon was, and was used for, comparing it to mini-vans or SUVs of today. I always get the most attention from families and kids, at car shows. It seems to be the woodgrain that draws them to it. They love it.

And then there are the car buffs. They love it, just as much. My wagon gets called "sexy" frequently. I suppose its the stance, look, etc. And when they hear me crank that 460 with 2-chamber mufflers.... Nothing but grins.

101Volts likes this.
  10. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

I've never not had someone appreciate my wagon especially since in close to mint shape. Would they pay what a Shelby cobra is worth? Definitely not! But that's ok because I've got a mint car that didn't cost me a fortune to buy and enjoy and play with as a hobby. We all know how much this hobby can cost if your restoring a car. I've got a 65 impala SS convertible that I'm restoring. I paid the same for it that I paid for the wagon. It was a piece of crap when I got it and it's still being worked on and not driven five years later. To me it's totally fine that they aren't fully appreciated because it effects the cost and it would have been out of my range to buy.

101Volts likes this.
  11. rrbnut

rrbnut 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Wagon Garage:
    what kind of car is it?? Same they say probably about a record player and 8track :) Seems we've been around too long .....

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    He probably saw one. But, not one which looks somewhat extra terrestrial like early Mopars seemed to resemble.
    Ever thought of becoming a dial phone salesman? You could earn good money packing your wagon full of them and selling them to parents who are annoyed at such questions. Tell them that the phone will confuse the kid enough to get him to shut up for a while.

13. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Well I'm either the coolest dad, or a strange eccentric anomaly... my whole house (built in '72) I'm restoring to it's classic 70's look with a few modern touches thrown in, most of my furniture is from the 70's, I have a Penncrest stereo console (solid state!) with Gerard 30 record player and a reel to reel player... the Barge has an 8-track player and in the glovebox it has a converter from 8 track to cassette converter... that's just to name a few... yeah I'm weird.. :dizzy:

Poison_Ivy and 101Volts like this.
  14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Why go half way? Time to visit flea markets, now, for dressing the entire family in 70's appaeral. Maybe, convert the wife over to look like Elizabeth Montgomery? If you find her wardrobe too conservative, there are also other clothing models available:

15. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Who said we didn't dress the part? nothing like a wide collar polyester shirt and corduroy pants!
    The wife dresses more like one of the cast from Mary Tyler Moore
    [​IMG]
    and if we can't find it she sews it with our vintage singer 500a "rocketeer" the last of the top of the line Singer sewing machines built with metal gears.
    [​IMG]
    Shall I go on? :D

elB and Poison_Ivy like this.