I think people just don't appreciate 70's up wagons....

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by CapriceEstate, Feb 8, 2009.

1. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]
    90 caddy classy isnt it? very elegant and stately
    [​IMG]
    09 caddy, plastic, could be any car.

back then..... your could tell a caddy apart.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Amazing what twenty years will do! And to think, a 1990 car is actually...old!

3. wolf_walker

wolf_walker New Member

I can sympathize, a wagon gets no respect here, unless maybe it has 24" wheels on it or something I guess. I have a bunch of cars, and I sell Porsche and Maserati parts for a living, and I still drive the Buick more often than not. It's just SO damn handy and comfortable and durable and cheap.

[​IMG]

When people comment on the fuel mileage I tell them it get's better than the Mercedes does. Which is true.

[​IMG]

This one got some respect, mostly at stoplights with a manual trans and more boost than was healthy.
    [​IMG]

4. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, Caddys and Buicks and Chevrolets and all them cars used to have some real class. And you could tell a Caddy apart. They looked a step higher in quality. Now, it just don't cut it. Hell, with these Escalades that are supposed to be so great, you can tell it's just a TrailBlazer or another GM SUV body with a Caddy clip on it. There was a mid to late 90s one sitting at the body shop I work at, and the interior looked exactly like a chevy blazer. Where's the class and the 'step above' quality that Cadillac once had.

101Volts likes this.
  5. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    ford tried it too.... the lincoln mark lt is an f150 with nothing more than a little more chrome and lincoln grille. other than that it was a lariat trim level.

the escalade your talking about was indeed nothing more than a gmc yukon denali with a caddy grille and steering wheel! but a $10,000 difference iin price!

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Some people just have a better eye and a better sense of style and class. That's what separates us wagon lover's from the norm. CapriceEstate...I wish it was still true that people didn't appreciate the '70's up wagons...maybe I could then FIND one at a reasonable cost!:) I used to think no one appreciated them....UNTIL I would pull up to a stop light or park it at a public place...then people would look with great interest and begin asking all kinds of questions about the "cool" car. I think we all had better start grabbing these remaining wagons FAST. Before the kids get hold of them and chop them up .. or some guy uses them for a truck.

101Volts likes this.
  7. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just appreciate the fact that you (and I and everybody else on here) appreciates old wagons!

They are cheap, fun, reliable, good looking, strange, utilitarian, whatever!

Now on the look out for a new one, if I could only find a real cheap, mint, low mileage, rust free Bermuda! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Clark

101Volts likes this.
  8. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I was sitting at a light next to one of them Lincolns, couldn't stop laughing at how Ford-like it was. What a joke!

9. Jetsmooth

Jetsmooth New Member

I would agree that the 70's wagons do not enjoy the popularity and value of previous years. This is rather unfortunate since they were the biggest of the breed and enjoyed superior ride-ability due to a longer wheelbase and much improved suspension technology. These bloated but well built family haulers were arguably the most durable of all time. In addition, these 70's models saw new and inventive option enhancements in nearly every model year throughout the decade. Late in the 1970s the bean counters' influence foreshadowed dependability, style and innovation. Regrettably, the station wagons of the 80's suffered from more of the same. Still, as the minivan and SUV displaced the traditional family station wagon, even the models of the 1980's and early 1990's are to be revered as anomalies, if for no other reason.

10. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    My friend's Cavalier broke down last nite and I had to take him home, you have to go down about 10-15 miles of highway, so I was gently cruising at 55mph. He couldn't get over how the thing floats down the road, especially compared to his 89 or 90 cavalier. I just told him, that they don't build 'em like they used to in quality or size.

11. Ford_Fellow

Ford_Fellow Well-Known Member

You are comparing a strut suspension car to one that has springs and shocks and wheelbase....When they went to the strut suspension people lost their ride but did not notice cause of good roads and the strut suspension built cars along with front wheel drive were half the price of a real car... They got what they were paying for....After a while they did not even know the difference but that is one reason they started driving S.U.V cause they had a better ride and the build was back to a frame and rear wheel drive and the suspension had travel and a longer wheelbase....My opinion only....

12. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Funny thing. Some cars, including my CC seem to compel people to try and overtake you.
    Must be the view of this land yacht from behind with the grey headed piloti. I must admit to occasionally deliberately making the maneuver difficult, it's still a V-8 you know.

13. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Dead on! That's about the best Non-Techie explanation I've ever seen! :thumbs2:

14. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i had that happend yesterday! well kinda.

i was pulling out onto the turnpike and at my exit the accel lane is very short....almost non existant. well i got the car straight and prepared to go when the dipstick in the outside lane slowed to a stop! and let me out!!! so for the sake of the rest of the people on the road i unleashed the beast! my buddy joel in the passenger seat (in the midst of this) goes "what the hell is he doing?" i simple responded "respecting the wagon!"

15. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ain't that the truth? We go shopping at a popular chain here, and you see the guys with the rice rockets and big pickups and SUVs taking 2 spots, angle parked. Well, that doesn't fly in a Prairie city. Folks park their older rigs right up tight to them, so they can't even open the door! :rofl2:

I get my little Fairmont woodie wagon in an ordinary spot, all painted and shiney, and when we get back to the car, I get room for a wheel-chair van on either side. :rofl2::rofl2: