How's your MPG?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Stormin' Norman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like you'd get it or more if you drove cross-country! Good for you! :cheers:

2. 4nzawgn

4nzawgn Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I only drive back and forth to work or when I run errands on my days off. Not a whole lot of stop and go. MOSTLY JUST GO(y)

3. KarlT_10

KarlT_10 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Seems to be way too easy for me to get mid-16's to 18 in town. No, I'm not that heavy footed. Many other Mazda6 owners get about the same.

Highway- 28 is my best to date.

4. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Crappy with old quadrajet, much better with new edelbrock.

5. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    Depends on my mood and the weight of my foot that day. My 92 gets 15-16 around here on the hilly back country roads and 20-24 on the highway. The 93 needs a tuneup real bad. I have not checked the mileage on it, but she is a thirsty slut. I would guess around 12-14 around the back roads and on the way home from Pittsburgh area on the highway, it was drinking quite a bit of gas. Probably 16-18. It seems to have a small studder once it hits overdrive and the lockout converter kicks in. So plugs, wires, cap, rotor, quart of tranny fluid in the gas tank to clean the injectors, new air filter, and O2 sensor is in the very near future.

6. Wagonmaster Russ

Wagonmaster Russ New Member

'76? Was that one first computer controlled ones? I don't remember when they started. I have always loved the Q-jets myself. But I never cared about milage with them and I only dealt with the electronic type once (I didn't enjoy it)
    The nice thing about the Q-jet is it's such a good "set it and forget it" carb. Plus, you can adjust the secondary spring to keep the secondaries locked closed if you don't want the extra fuel.

7. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    I will run a Q-Jet over ANY carb on the market. Easy on gas in 2bbl mode and when you open up the secondaries, there is no match for the sound and instant power. Spread Bores Rule!

8. Wagonmaster Russ

Wagonmaster Russ New Member

DITTO BROTHER!
    My '72 Riv runs high 14's on the factory 800 CFM Q-jet. I bored the secondary passages and run CC rods. I had to take out the factory fuel filter and run an external because I couldn't keep fuel in the bowl!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. marcar1993

marcar1993 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My wagon gets 5-7 mpg in town, and ~12 on the highway. Best to date was 14 mpg, ONCE!

My cutlass got 15 mpg the one long highway drive I took and drove it responsibly... Otherwise it sucks it down like it was free, but maybe that's because I love that q-jet sound. (Also, it is running pig rich. I plan on deleting the computer when I drop in my 403, run a normal q-jet freshly built.)

My acclaim has gotten a personal best of 43 mpg at 70-75 mph. In town I can pull down high 20's if I keep my foot out of it. (Hard to do, cause it's really slow :( )

10. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The best I have got out of the 73 Ford is 11.6 mpg. I've been running it on 93 octane. That was on a 80 mile round trip of mostly highway driving.

11. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :slap::rofl2::D
    Best MPG ever!!! 1772 miles on ZERO gallons. El Paso, TX to Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG]

Actually, never seen more than 17.5 continuous highway.

12. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

There you go again Bragging on your mpg :biglaugh:

13. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't had a chance to measure it, but if I do a rough calculation I'd say I'm getting 14mpg in the Torino.

I'm not so concerned with my gas mileage as I am the oil mileage.

I just added 2.5 quarts of oil for 160 miles of driving. I've put 17.5 quarts in it now over the past 1055 miles. It's GOT to be burning it. The underside of the car is bone dry except for minor valve cover leaks. I've got to get my hands on a carbureted 3.8 and an AOD. That or a 2-barrel 302 and an AOD.

I had a very long discussion with my car tonight after adding all that oil. I told her that she's going to have to face the facts, and that a heart transplant is the only option I have left. I'm not going to rebuild the 351M because I can't put an AOD behind it without a $900 adapter and a special TC. I can't shove an E4OD under there because they're bigger than a C6 IIRC. She's going to go under the knife as soon as I find a suitable donor powertrain, and I promised her no computers. So it's gotta be carbureted, early 80s, and I gotta be able to run it off Duraspark. She needs her brain simple.

14. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, occu....that's a LOT of oil. If it were me, I go with the 302. I don't think much of the Ford 3.8. You can do a lot of things with a 302 and get it running good. Just my 2 cents worth. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. (y)

15. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    $9 per 5 quarts...that's $31.50 in oil for 1050 miles of driving. If I'm really getting 14mpg and fuel is $2.50 a gallon, then I'm spending about 18 cents a mile in gas, and 3 cents a mile in oil!