How to test relays for power antenna and auto leveling system

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by tfvesquire, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi All.

I recently picked up another 1986 Electra Estate Wagon for my dad and starting to go thru my list of minor repairs.

I know the power antenna does not work and is currently in the down position. I would like to get it functioning if possible so if anyone can advise me #1 where the antenna relay is located and #2 how to test it that would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to test the relay for the rear suspension leveling system. I believe the system was working until I washed some built up grime under the hood. Is it possible for the relay to fry out if the connectors get wet or does it automatically blow the fuse? Going to check the fuse block for any blown or missing fuses this weekend, but if anyone can explain how to test if any of my relays are bad that would be great.

Surprisingly, everything works even both power mirrors. The driver power mirror switch was working, but the joystick literally disintegrated and came out. I was able to find a replacement switch but had to pay a premium from the seller because he apparently knows these are impossible to find in working condition.

Both mirrors are loose on their bases. I can see the phillips head screws inside but cannot reach them to tighten them. Does anyone have a good method of removing the inner motor and glass so I can access those screws? I might be able to get a flexible tool that I can put a phillips bit on the end. I don't want to break the mirrors or the power mirror motors trying to get them out.

Here is a short list of things I need to do or have done:

- Replace all brake lines
    - Replace all fluids
    - Replace headliner material
    - Replace driver power mirror switch
    - Replace driver turn signal fender monitor housing (missing)
    - Replace front door seals
    - Replace rear quarter woodgrain trim moldings (missing)
    - Replace front and rear bumper fillers
    - Test and repair power antenna, leveling system and no air from the HVAC dash vents.
    - Lightly clean the interior and touch up the exterior

No going to even attempt the brake lines and fluid exchange. The rest is doable.

Thanks!

Ted

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Only a short circuit could blow a fuse. Relays are simple devices. Most often, the contact points suffer disfigurement, due to excessive duty. The spark which preceed physical contact simply burns both surfaces. That's why mercury was used in vaccuumed glass bulbs in furnace thermostats.
    If the relay can be disassembled, you could file the contacts with a simple point file. Before going that far, I'd inspect the terminal connector for corrosion

3. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    replace all the vacuum lines in the car. get a roll of line on E Bay.This is the place to start. A simple test tight is your friend. Make sure the antenna is attached well at the back of the radio

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The most likely problem with the power antenna is a broken plastic cable that drives the mast up and down. When this happens, the antenna motor will run continuously. Most people pull the connector off the relay to stop it. Look in the fenderwell area near the antenna.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Pulling the connector is the trypical curing the symptoms, instead of dealing with the cause

6. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: