Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by pnoyes, Jul 15, 2017.

1. pnoyes

pnoyes New Member

Hey Everyone,
    My name is Pat, live in Chicago and I am currently looking at purchasing my first car. I've been thinking about an 1987 AMC wagon, I found one that looks perfect for my intended use. I am trying to stay away from cars that have parts which might be hard to come by if they need replacing, any advice would be much appreciated!

Pat Noyes

fannie likes this.
  2. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Welcome, Pat, The only wagon AMC made in 87 would be an Eagle, so I assume that's what you're talking about. Most engine, transmission and other drive train parts are still available since they share parts with other AMC's and Jeeps, also. Any body or interior parts would have to be used.

pnoyes likes this.
  3. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Pat!

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Pat and good luck:Welcome:
    Sorry about the Chicago part!:cry:

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

You mean your first car ever? Are you a high school student? I didn't own a car of my own until I was a sophomore in college.

And so you figure that getting a 30-year-old car is the way to go? I would think, especially if you plan for this to be your daily driver, that you would want to get something of more recent vintage (10 to 15 years old). Such cars are around for $1000 to $2000, and parts will be much easier to come by. Local mechanics will be more familiar with them if you need outside help.

There's nothing wrong with wanting an older car to be your daily driver rather than as a hobby car to tinker with, which is what most people who frequent this site do with their old wagons. But getting one to be a daily driver takes careful consideration, especially if you're not handy with a wrench. Even if you are, you might be caught without a vehicle if something fails and you need to order the part and wait a week to get it.

You say the '87 AMC is "perfect for my intended use." What is your intended use?

6. pnoyes

pnoyes New Member

It not my first ever experience with a car, but my first time buying one. I am 32 years old and haven't had a daily use car in 8 years, I used to drive a Toyota Sienna in College but my Parent's owned it.

My intended use for it, would be as a daily use car, but I am a Surfer and a Filmmaker who works outside, and I like driving down dirt roads that I am not familiar with and into storms on roads that have not been plowed, so I like the visual aesthetic appeal of the car and the fact it has 4x4. I can work a wrench no problem but I have a lot to learn about what's what under the hood of the car. Are there any parts of an older model AMC Eagle that you think would be difficult to find?

7. pnoyes

pnoyes New Member

Thanks Eagle Freek!

8. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Eagles are cool!!!:thumbs2: Welcome to the forum!!! Good luck finding a ride!

9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

As has been noted, the only 1987 AMC vehicle was the Eagle, a small SUV/station wagon with reasonably high clearance.

[​IMG]

I did some searching, and it does seem that pretty much any component or part you might need is readily available, so that's good.

This would concern me, at least somewhat. I live in an area with lots of dirt roads, and one thing's for sure, dirt roads are not kind to cars. Washouts, ruts, washboarding, rocks, mud, you name it. Depending on road conditions, it can sound like even the newest, most well-built car is being shaken apart. You'll want to make sure your car's suspension components are in excellent condition, and you'll want new, good-quality tires. Make sure the spare is in good shape and fully inflated as it will be inevitable, with enough dirt-road driving, that you'll get a flat. Good luck.

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    A 1987 Eagle sounds perfect for your uses. Finding a nice one won't be easy. Personally I'd feel safer on those washouts, ruts, washboards, rocks, mud, and dirt roads than the streets of downtown Chicago.:rolleyes:

11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you have a very specific car in mind. I like it. Just be sure to do lots of research and get to know these cars. That way when you get to looking at potential purchases you have an idea of what to keep an eye out for.
    Good luck!

12. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Never realized there was a surfing community in Chicago. I thought it was just a lot of jazz bars and pickpockets

Eagle Freek and ModelT1 like this.
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Sometimes Lake Michigan has waves larger and more dangerous than the oceans.
    Most pickpockets stay off the beaches. Not many pockets in bathing suits.
    Lots of sunken ships and old airplanes in there too. Some of the early Airforce practice touch-n-goes were more touch than go!

We've also seen lots of photo shoots and movie making along the Lake. I saw my first Rat Rods and Goth gals up near Kenosha, Wisc.:camera:

14. pnoyes

pnoyes New Member

I have recently made a film about this very topic, and as we live in a work in progress, it's name for now is "Southend: The Place Where I Go Surfing."
    I relied heavily on the other people for rides to the beach when I was filming, and used the mostly excellent public transit around Chicago and N Indiana.

Here is both a short and long trailer I made for the film, the long version I made for an event that I thought might be populated by hipsters mostly, because it was held at a bar in very trendy neighborhood in Chicago so I tried to use some humorous hyperbole to draw them in. The short one is a bit more heartfelt and honest. I think the AMC woody wagon is like the perfect mix of something that is obviously surfy (Woody) but also kinda old and humble, like the little towns that dot the Great Lakes Region.

Short

Long

Sorry for the self promotion. I won't make a habit of it here unless I'm posting pictures of a car.

15. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :wave: Hi and :Welcome: aboard.