Ford 57 "Chero"

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by Fat Tedy, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That is very interesting. I'll have to post this on Ranchero.us.

3. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    The Bing translator translation. Interesting history behind the truck.

It is a 1957 Chero Ford, is one of the 39 concept trucks made to go against the Chevy Cameo. These trucks were handmade using the rear panels and modified trim of a Ford Del ' 57 River station wagon two doors, just like you did with the Dodge Sweptside. Each truck was equipped with block 312-Y Police performance Hi Interceptor engine, top of the transmission speed line-3, with overdrive, and rear axle high geared together with a heavy suspension composed of parts of the Lincoln Continental car, heavy-duty Berlina Classy. Ford also borrowed many new features inside Thunderbird, including central console and factory air conditioning. Ford only made the 39 trucks concept after discovering that both cameos and trucks were experiencing Sweptside low sales numbers and that was not worth the total cost of production.

This truck was one of the 5, the number 16 in production, purchased new by Fred Usinger II, the company sausage Usinger in Milwaukee, by his sales team. Fred was a very close friend of Henry Ford II. When visiting Henry II in October 1956, Mr. Usinger took a stroll through the Ford factory, where the Chero was conceived and is being constructed. When he saw the truck with cabin is streamlined new and seen back panels, Henry said were "the coolest thing since sliced bread." He also said Ford, he would like to give one of these trucks for each of his five top sellers as an incentive. Henry II offered for sale Usinger The trucks remain consecrated to production at a special price. An agreement was signed to Usinger to achieve a special arrangement, but he had to sort the trucks that a local merchant, using a secret system of ordering.

This Chero is owned by Evian Ruoy de Chenequa, Wisconsin. He took the car from his father, Rodger, the original owner and top sausage seller in 1957. This chero was purchased from the Ford Beau guswould send in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The truck is less than 13,000 miles original. He received a complete picture out of restoration at 2006 at a cost of over US $35,000.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Thanks for translating, :beerchug:

I've tried to find anything about this truck other than, this is looking like nothing more than a hoax story with some GREAT photo shop skills?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GAWD it would have been a :bowdown: truck, if it were real...................

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    Seems like some of the original English got lost in translation into Spanish then back into English. Found this on the H.A.M.B.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...are-pix-of-truly-extinct-makes.397594/page-68

This line is the best:

"This Chero was bought from the Beau Ogus Ford dealership in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin."

Yep, the good 'ol "Beau Ogus" Ford dealer.

It's a 1957 Ford Chero, it is one of 39 concept trucks made to go against the Chevy Cameo. These trucks were hand crafted using the rear quarter panels and modified trim of a '57 Ford Del Rio two door station wagon, just like Dodge did with the Sweptside. Each truck was equipped with the hi-performance 312 Y-block Police Interceptor engine, top of the line transmission-3 speed with overdrive, and high geared rear axle along with a heavy duty suspension consisting of parts from the Lincoln Continental car, heavy duty limousine class. Ford also borrowed many interior features from the new Thunderbird including center console and factory air conditioning. Ford only made the 39 concept trucks after finding out that both the Cameo and the Sweptside trucks were experiencing low sales figures and it wasn't worth doing the cost of full production.

This truck was 1 of 5, number 16 in production, bought new by Fred Usinger II, of the Usinger Sausage company in Milwaukee, for his sales staff. Fred was a very close friend of Henry Ford II. While visiting Henry II in October of 1956 Mr. Usinger took a tour of the Ford plant where the Chero was designed and being built. When he saw the truck with it's new streamlined cab and flashy rear quarter panels he told Henry they were "the coolest thing since sliced bread". He also told Ford he would like to give one of these trucks to each of his five top salesmen as an incentive. Henry II offered to sale Usinger the remaining trucks in production at a special price. A deal was struck for Usinger to get a special deal but he had to order the trucks though a local dealer using a secretive ordering system.

This Chero is owned by Evian Ruoy of Chenequa, Wisconsin. He got the truck from his father, Rodger, the original owner and top sausage salesman of 1957. This Chero was bought from the Beau Ogus Ford dealership in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The truck has less than 13,000 original miles. It received a complete frame off restoration in 2006 at a cost of over $35,000. One of the most expensive items, and hardest to find, was the "Chero" emblem fastened to the rear most of the rear quarter panels (As seen in above photos). Fortunately, an duplicate was made using the remaining original emblem as a form. The original was sent to a metal caster, John Thomas in Burnt Corn, Alabama. Mr. Thomas is a world renowned metal caster and does everything by hand, no modern machinery. The recasting cost $3200 alone but Mr. Thomas did a superb job.

Evian knows of two other Cheros still in existence. One is in Owanka, SD still being used by the original owner's family on their emu farm to haul farm supplies and the second was just sold on the Barret Jacket auction to a California proctologist for $885,000.

Fred Usinger gave each of his top salesmen a Chero for their great work for being able to sale the baloney, just like I am doing now in telling you that this is an actual truck. I actually photo shopped images of this truck using images of a '57 truck and two different '57 station wagons. I originally posted the first picture as a little joke in another post but I thought it would fit in today, happy April 1st.

ModelT1 and Fat Tedy like this.
  6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Geed detective work, Tedy! I knew it was bogus as soon as I read "...one of 39 concept trucks..." If there were that many built, I would have heard of, or seen one by now. How did you find that original pic?

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

After no real info online I searched images, kept scrolling down and............

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I actually saw these same photos online a couple of years ago. There was no accompanying story, so I just assumed I was a recent custom job.
    Those photo shopped pictures look pretty impressive. They fooled me, I thought it was a real truck. Whomever did them has got talent and a great idea for a custom truck.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    If you scroll down about 3/4 the way down the H.A.M.B. link I posted above above you'll see that a guy called "HJmaniac" is either taking credit for the photoshopped pics or is just reposting an April Fool's joke he saw. Not completely clear which from the way he describes it.

But geez, you'd think the guy could find better ways to spend his time than trying to fool old car nuts.

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

While I was at the car show I saw what Chevrolet was going to use to compete with this truck.

[​IMG]

It was this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Even the runs in the paint make this new Chevy truck appear factory stock. I'll bet it's a one off barn find built by Johnny Cash and crew.

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Re: Chevy ^^....

"This is what you call one 'o dem gen-U-ine factory prototypes."

What year?
    "1950, 1960, and 1973 - they used it all 3 years!"

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Plus a '57 Chevy dash blended with a later dash half and '59 Caddy tail lights. Took it out one piece at a time.

14. bobj49f2

bobj49f2 Member

I just stumbled onto this discussion. I did the custom work on this truck in my head and on my computer many years ago for an April Fools post on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts' site. Fat Teddy found the exact images I used to make the finished trucks.

Bob Jones
    www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

ModelT1 and Fat Tedy like this.
  15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Well there you have it. Straight from the source.