Finding a cars original owner

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by teej, Feb 11, 2012.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    WOW! That is fantastic, blu!!:banana::thumbs2:
    The ex owner must be a great guy!:yup:

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Interesting. I never really ever thought of finding most previous owners or cared. However with my 55 Chevy wagon, which I bought roughly 15 miles from home off a private owner, I did learn where the previous owner worked. In fact it could have been the original owner. I remember seeing the wagon at the business years before and drove by it many times after owning the 55 Chevy. Since it already was a street rod with V-8 in place of the six it didn't seem important.
    Now an Autozone sits where the tiny plumbing shop and several homes were. The person I bought it from moved away and that plumbing shop owner is most likely showing butt crack in that great bath house in the sky.
    Also, I bought my 1939 Ford just down the block. I was told the name and general address of the person who made it into a 1/4 mile race car and modified it. Eventually found the house maybe 30 miles away north of Peoria, Ill. No one was ever home. May have not even been the right house.
    Never bothered with any other past owners. Shucks I don't even know what tree my family fell out of!

[​IMG]

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Seems like you have a pretty good handle on it!:lolup::rofl2::clap::rofl2::lolup:

4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    With 7999 other menbers now here can't you find someone else to pick on????????? :confused::slap:

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK. :yup:

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That was TOO easy! I'm going to bed while I am ahead, or even!:yahoo:

7. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know the history of my wagon if the seller was truthful. I don't know why he wouldn't have been. Actually, his wife. Was her parents car originally.

What gets me is when I pull in to somewhere and some kid asks me, serious as all heck, "hey, did you buy that new?"..............now I can see why Cat would get that with his 39, but me? I'm just a kid by comparison (I hope)

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Actually my 39 and I were created around the same time and year. Both cute, well rounded but not too fat fendered, look pretty good coming or going, loved by many hot rodders and custom car people. Never win best of show but still gets with the program. Old but still desirable, not real fast, but still dependable. Gets overheated now and then, often hard to get going in the mornings, stiff in cold weather, several squeaks and rattles, some new parts, and some pretty well worn out. Needin a tune-up but still cleans up fairly good. Can't go as far as we used to but still gets there in time. Battery gets run down mighty fast and don't hold a charge for long. Sometimes gets out of line or a little wobbly. Drips and makes a mess in the most awkward places. Cute little rearend.
    But not ready for the scrap pile!:rofl2:

9. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Here in Ontario, when you buy a used car privately, you HAVE to submit a Used Vehicle Information Printout in order to effect the change in ownership. It costs $20 from the Ministry of Transport office. It lists every owner, and the city, for the history of the car in Ontario, back to the manufacturer. My 69 Acadian I bought from the original owner. Same with the first 79 Thunderbird. The 84 Olds and 89 Grand marquis were both bought new, and I saw both go to the scrap yard, unfortunately. Nora, the current Thunderbird, I bought from a man who had owned her for well over 20 of her 33 years. The other 2 Thunderbirds were more unknown quantities, but I never bothered to track down the original owners. The 78 Buick Electra I bought from the nephew of the original owner. Guess I'm luck to know so much of the history of my beasts.

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds goodMikeT1961 . Here in our land of confusion they only seem interested in taxing and collecting money. Records are boring. Unless they are unpaid fees and taxes!

11. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
  12. teej

teej Well-Known Member

I just got this the other day at the gas station in my '58..by a guy at least 10 years older than me!! OK, I'm only just into my 40s, and to have bought this car new, even at 15, would put me at 73... C'mon..really?