Finally got my 65 back!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Smee78, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Smee78

Smee78 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to check in and say hello. I own a 1965 4 door Malibu wagon, I have owned the same car twice.

I originally bought my car from a friend about 18 years ago and had it for a good number of years as my daily driver. I had too many irons in the fire so I sold my wagon to fund another project. The car was in the yellow epoxy primer and had a set of rallies on it when I sold it. Well fast forward about 16 years, I was digging in some paperwork and found the contact information for the guy I sold the wagon to. I mulled it over for a few days then gave him a call. Well we got to talking and he was going to be moving soon and he agreed to sell me back my wagon. The guy I sold it to has sold it to a friend of his and bought it back after a few years, then I bought it back from him. I told my buddy that I had bought it from originally that I had gotten it back and he tried to buy it back from me, lol the cycle never ends. The first picture is how it looked when I sold it, the second picture of it is what it looks like now that I have gotten it back. The wagon still has it's original 230 inline 6 and power glide and is the same besides the paint and rims.

Now that I have it back I am going to do a few upgrades that I wanted to do the first time I owned it. I have an Offenhauser 4brl intake, Holley 390 carb, and a set of 12bolt Tom's split cast manifolds. I am currently looking for a 200-4r transmission to swap out the power glide.

I look forward to being on this board and getting to see everyone's rides.

Thanks,
    Ron

Inline 230.jpg 65-1.jpg

Old 65.jpg

2. ArnieM888

ArnieM888 Well-Known Member

I have a great fondness for the 235 Blue Flame engine and powerglide .... my dad bought a brand new BelAire in 1954 ... 2 speed powerglide and power brakes ... those things were new in that era.

The normal 235 was 100-115 hp ... but needed a bit more power because of the automatic .... so Chevy engineers used the 235 Corvette engine which was 125 hp.

Our family drove that car for years ... had 87,000 miles on it ... all original ... never burned a drop of oil ... then somebody stole it .... never recovered ..... otherwise we would still have it .

dads 1954 chev belair.JPG

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    BillT and markfnc like this.
  3. Smee78

Smee78 Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's tough ArnieM888, What a shame to have such a clean car stolen like that. She looked like a real bueaty.

ArnieM888 likes this.
  4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Mr. Smee. Sounds like a great car and an even greater story. Good luck with the upgrades. Keep us posted on your progress.

5. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice ride! does clifford reaserch make a performance cam for your motor? ive heard some pretty mean 6 cyls...i once bought back a 70 chevelle i had sold years before and its a pretty unusual feeling getting something back you parted with years before..sort of a now my lifes complete feeling hehe :clap:

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

You see so many 55-57 Chevy's that seeing a 53 (or 54) like this, they look so good.

60Mercman and ArnieM888 like this.
  7. Smee78

Smee78 Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm sure they do make a cam for it, I am just sticking with bolt-on parts for now. If I go buck wild then I will get a new crank to go from 230 to 250, do a cam swap, do the lump port conversion, run roller rockers, run I believe the 307 pistons for better compression, and bigger valves in the head. There are quite a few motor upgrades you can do to the chevy inline 6's when you get into them.

Wagonrodder and ArnieM888 like this.
  8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Seems to be a bit of this going around, selling and buying back. Just glad your wagon always fell into the hands of someone who respected it.
    Great looking car you have there...again.

:Welcome: aboard.