Fairlane Club of America- Wagon issue and cover

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 66Fairlanewagon, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 66Fairlanewagon

66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I have another Aussie Falcon photo in my stuff somewhere that I cut out of a calendar. It looks like the one in the top pic, but the flank says "GT 429." Would that have been a standard 429 or a Boss 429?

3. 66Fairlanewagon

Wagon Garage:
    Hard to say really, as it would never have been a factory 429 car. I'm nearly 100% sure the 351 was the biggest engine Ford Australia ever released from the factory.

In the early 70's Australia was having an performance car 'escalation' of sorts, on the back of a famous car race called Bathurst ( the name of the town where the track is). Basically it was production car format with the tag line 'race on Sunday buy on Monday'.

Anyhow, a journalist wrote an article about 'super cars' doing in excess of 160mph, everyone panicked, and both Ford and GM scrapped their next gen race/road cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare

Interesting reading on how one article changed the car production history of Australia with one stroke of a pen. Google 'supercar scare' 'Evan green' and the XA GTHO, for more on the story.

Cheers

dennis likes this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Funnily enough, that just about mimics NASCAR's "Aero Wars," where an irritated Bill France got tired of the one-upmanship of the manufacturers, and the insane speeds of the Dodge Charger Daytona, Plymouth Superbird and the Ford Torino Talladega, after he witnessed driver Cale Yarbrough go 200+ MPH, and wipe out, in a new Torino King Cobra that Ford was readying for the 1971 Winston Cup season. Apologies for the run-on sentence.

dennis likes this.
  5. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi 66 , I am not up with the Email thing or texting sorry for the late reply we are in the Redlands bayside and it would be good to catch up for a chat , lets see what I can do . Cheers

66Fairlanewagon likes this.
  6. 66Fairlanewagon

Wagon Garage:
    No worries Dennis. My inlaws live in Wellington Point, so next time I'm up there (with or without the wagon) I'll get in touch prior. I'd love to have a look at your wagon!

Cheers mate

7. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    66 , if you and your family are up for a visit at Wello please lets know a couple of days before as it wold be great to catch in person :cheers: from Brissie