Failed State Inspection?!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Slidemanic, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Probably not the kind of apology you have in mind

2. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Was she a blond?

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Is this leading up to a "dumb blond" joke?
    One doesen't need to be blond, in order to polish fender benders. One only needs a curvy vehicle.
    This one's getting polished, just because of that mere fender scrape. I'd hate to think what would get owed for a total out:

[​IMG]

Grizz likes this.
  4. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I know the feeling, this is what was left of my k-car after a young girl blew through a stop sign in a honda without looking.
    [​IMG]

5. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

Not cute, just oblivious like so many.

6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Ok... here’s a reoccurring thought I’ve had while watching the horror of the evening news unfold. It’s a bit morbid, and understand I’m not defending anyone here, just simply pondering. From time to time you hear about some worthless drunk slaughtering a car full of innocent teenagers at 3 in the morning. They give the guy 20 years for vehicular homicide and case closed. Here’s the thought, do they even investigate the logistics of the crash? I mean how do we know the drunk and not a cell phone or fooling with the radio was the cause of the accident? Do you deserve 20 years for driving drunk around wreck less teenagers??? I heard in Canada you lose your liscence for life if you get a dui ?

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

All accidents are investigated. My uncle's a retired LEO, and he has some horrific stories to tell about collisions between cars. But yes, they do investigate, as they have to ensure some weasel of a shyster lawyer doesn't have the ability to get the drunk driver off scot-free because of a technicality. Sad to say, there are those who are bound and determined to destroy themselves for whatever reason, and take others with them, they just do not care.

Grizz likes this.
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The DUI charge will stick, if a sloppy officer fails to follow up cell-phone transmission data. Playing with a radio would leave injuries connected with doing such.
    Over here, in Germany, the law considers a victim motorist of an accident as partly guilty, just because he had consumed alcohol while driving, even though he wasn't the cause

9. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

We had a guy here traveling at the speed limit 80 Klm/ hour or 50 mph and a guy from the USA visiting is lost. The American blew through the stop sign with his wife and three kids in the car and got t-boned by the young man in the truck. This instantly killed the wife and two kids and everyone else was pretty messed up. The young guy had two empty cans of beer in the back of the truck so they did a blood test on him at the hospital. His blood alcohol content was not high enough to get a drunk driving charge but in ontario its considered buzzed driving and they can take your licence for it. The American was not charged for running the stop sign but young driver was charged with vehicle homicide and drunk driving. In the end the guy beat the homicide charges but not the drunk driving charge. It only cost him thousands of dollars and a GOOD lawyer. This was originally presented in the news paper and by police that the young guy had somehow caused the accident and left everyone believing he had run the stop sign. The family man admitted that he was playing with his GPS when he ran the stop sign and didn't see it. The cops knew this from day one and still blamed the young man. The American also filed a lawsuit saying if the kid hadn't been drinking he would have avoided hitting him so he was at fault. Luckily professional accident reconstructionists were able to prove that no one would have been able to stop. Remember this guy was not drunk, he had two beers this was proved by his blood alcohol amount. This was a complete nightmare for this young man who was also fired from his job over this.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

All I read from that is, do not drink and drive, no matter how much, how little, how well you can or can't handle it. If the kid had disposed of the cans in the garbage, he would've been miles ahead, but not drinking them in the first place would've led the accident investigation and charges in a totally different direction.

11. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly!!! Just don't drink and drive. Although very unsettling that he and not the other driver was charged it all would have been prevented if no alcohol was involved. I still don't think it was right and obviously the judge agreed.

12. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey everyone - back to the title Failed Inspection
    Failed inspection twice in my Mercedes CLK350 both times tires- 1 time I knew I was at my limit the other insides of front worn too thin. Wife's Audi A6 wagon failed "airbag light was on" bad sensor $900 repair..
    yet my 85 Colony Park passed no issues ??? but had leaking gaskets and seals - including brake line
    Same shop has done all inspections

sorry to read about the accident - I have the Colony Park insured for $10,000 - not as an antique, think the classification is special value - not sure but knew that if anything happened to it insured as a normal car it would be totaled out at book value.
    wouldn't love to find an 85 wagon with 58,000 miles for around $2950
    upload_2018-1-1_8-9-15.png
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis - Colony Park 4 Door Station Wagon
    Original MSRP $12,511; Low Retail Value $1150; Average Retail Value $2950; High Retail Value $5,175

13. Slidemanic

Anyway,the '73 is most likely off to the knackers now. The A-pillar base is smushed in and folded over. The situation is not covered by anybody's insurance.

14. Slidemanic

Anyway,the '73 is most likely off to the knackers now. The A-pillar base is smushed in and folded over. The situation is not covered by anybody's insurance.

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Damn. Is there any way you can keep the car to part it out and obtain another '73-'74 Country Sedan/Squire? Use those parts to rehab another?