eBay - disaster - strike 3 and U R out

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by MAK, Aug 11, 2019.

1. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Posted the wagon on eBay - few bids until last day of auction then it came alive, winner bidder jumped in a minute before auction end.
    BUYER 1 - winning bid
    Didn't have time to see their feedback, not good. Month earlier this feedback was posted
    **NEGATIVE** WARNING SELLERS - DEADBEAT BIDDER - BLOCK HIS BIDS !
    Oh crap this isn't good! The feedback turned out to be actuate. apologize for the length but thought some of you would want to see this: eBay message's :
    Sent: Aug-04-19 19:33
    Good Morning Congratulations on winning the bid, You will be truly be amazed at the ride and comfort of this car and the compliments you get, I know was.
    Per the listing please adhere to the following payment guidelines:
    PayPal $500.00 nonrefundable deposit within 24 hours of Auction end Balance in Cash or Funds transfer to bank account (must be cleared by my bank) within 3 days of auction end. Car sold as-is where–is, no warranty implied or guaranteed.
    Again congratulations and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Sent: Aug-05-19 16:17
    Evening Per the terms of the listing A $500.00 deposit is required within 24 hours of the close of the auction.
    Time is now 4:11 Pacific time you are now in default of the purchase agreement, should I not hear back from you before the close of the day today August 5th, I will proceed to cancel this transaction. Due to lack of payment.
    I will also communicate a negative feedback to your account, for lack of communication and payment.
    I trust that these steps will not become necessary
    Sent:Aug-06-19 16:09
    You are in default of the purchase agreement and I have CANCELLED your transaction.

BUYERS ONLY RESPONCE
    Received: Aug-07-19 05:32
    Dear Sir I apologize! I am in ------- and been in Hospital during this period of time,
    I have to do a money wire to your bank account, I need to talk to you to settle it all up.
    Kind Regards

Sent:Aug-07-19 06:22
    Perhaps better late than never. Trust you are feeling better. In order for you to complete this transaction The money has to be in my bank no later than the close of business tomorrow. Thursday August 8th.
    My bank must confirm the funds are there. Once confirmed I will happily express mail the title to you.
    Also as I am leaving on vacation middle of next would appreciate any information you have on having the car picked up.
    Thank you for getting back to me and I trust we can get this transaction done. You will not be disappointed with the car, I am positive of that. Regards
    Sent:Aug-07-19 14:21
    Evening I really thought I would hear from you today? I know it’s late there now, but please can communicate your intention? Regards
    Sent: Aug-08-19 06:42 K-------- I am at loss on your failure to communicate. I can totally understand the fact that you had a hospital stay and am willing to overlook the time delay, but you have not responded to either of the messages that I sent yesterday. It’s now late afternoon in --------- which should have given you enough time to respond, perhaps the feedback that is posted to you is correct.
    If I do not hear back from you by 5:00 your time (-------) I will assume that this transaction is cancelled. Thank you

So the transaction was cancelled, eBay refunded fees. ok no issue, but there is more
    BUYER 2
    2nd highest bidder, $100 before the highest
    15 emails about the car - talked to them over the phone, thought it was going to be a go - but they wanted to take possession of the car and money put into escrow account, I said no - but willing to have car delivered for free or personally deliver car and do a cash deal (buyer was 6 hours away) and if for what ever reason they didn't like it, shake hands and call it a day
    They emailed me the next day and said NO. couldn't believe it.
    BUYER 3
    Talked this this buyer numerous time, sent couple of texts, in end wife said no.

Oh crap. back to the drawing board.
    I kind find the whole experience kind of funny - 2 months ago I sold a shotgun in 5 minutes after listing it on Shotgun World for almost the same price as the wagon. 2 emails from the buyer, money sent same day - all was good.
    thanks everyone - I feel better now.

2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Sorry you are going thru all this aggravation Max. Three backing out is a bit much. Have a friend trying to sell a very rare special edition Mustang thru car shows and other events where it is face to face. Told me he has lost track of the number of times he has thought he had a serious buyer and nothing came of it. This has been going on since Jan this year.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The market's full of con artists. Don't even trust little old ladies. Hang in there, guy. It's only a matter of time, 'til you off it

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

What sucks is that all the alternatives are just as bad. It's why, on my ads, it's "Local sale only, cash on the barrel only, we meet face-to-face only, and when you hand me the cash, I hand you the keys and paperwork only, NO guarantees or warranties, implied or otherwise, and I do not need help selling this." It still doesn't stop the flakes, but they try more carefully, and I say "Nope. Nope. Nope. Follow my instructions or I move on to the next customer." It's really frustrating how the Internet has been co-opted so easily, but what did everyone expect?

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    "The market's full of con artists. Don't even trust little old ladies"
    remember I am the same guy that had 2 Mennonite ladies arrested for shop lifting, so not much surprises me, really didn't want to go thru "normal" avenues of selling the car, but don't want it sitting here come winter.
    [​IMG]

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    What did those poor as a churchmouse allowanceless cute Mennonite ladies shoplift? A bikini or an arousing nightgown?

7. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ivy
    Panties yes, #2 item stolen after earings, couple of white blouses, couple of sheet sets, and small house hold items.
    new in package sheet sets and house hold items are good flea market sellers, Innocent my a

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    They would have had to wear those items in secret, then. I wonder how they ended up explaining their pierced ears to the authoritative elders, with their hair up in buns.
    Since you seem to have the memory of an elephant, can you give us details on those panties of which they got caught with, Sir?
    :drool:

9. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ivy
    memory like an elephant, not really but the do remember when something out of the ordinary occurs, arresting Mennonite ladies is not normal, do I remember everything about the incident - no , items stolen kind of, our loss prevention would track items in general, blouses, dresses, pants, home items, kids clothes etc. not specifics. So when they wanted to boost their apprehensions they'd just watch those areas. In retail everyone has a goal to hit!
    this thread is getting way off subject.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  10. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

Unfortunately scammers and morons dont actually read. All my ads state "if the ad is up it is still available, if you ask you will be ignored". Why do half the replies still contain "is it still available"? Or "will trade for X only" and everyone wants to trade A, B, and C.

11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough go with selling your wagon. That can be very frustrating. We had a similar deal with a 66 Mustang coupe last year. We had at least three "sales" of that car, where people emailed us through eBay, called directly, emailed directly, exchanged text messages etc. Only to have them back out in the end.
    Believe it or not, we ended up finding the new owner through facebook. My wife posted it on the facebook marketplace and it sold within a week. Honestly though, it's a gamble no matter where you list a vehicle for sale. Craigslist, eBay, facebook, local newspaper, they are all hit and miss.
    I hope things turn around and you get a buyer who comes through and appreciates the car.

12. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Too many treat E-Bay auctions like a video game.
    I've had one buyer who requested I break a "set" of some items I was offering, which I did leaving me with a less than desirable remainder.
    A day after shipping and paying(thank God) he wants to return saying he found another cheaper/ local/etc.
    E-Bay suggests I accept the return! Oh, hell no!
    My message to the buyer suggested he do his shopping before buying and the deal stood.
    This was the third problem. One was an outright attempt to defraud and the other was a buyer that turned out to be local so I hand delivered within hours(thought I was doing a favor), he was pissed that he paid for postage. He proceeds to try to claim he didn't receive unless I refund his postage. Assholes are everywhere.
    Been off of E-Bay for some time as it is too easy for the flakes and chiselers to waste your time or cost you money and grief.
    In a dispute E-Bay will nearly always side with the buyer.

13. wagonalien

wagonalien Active Member

Sold 6 cars on ebay over 5 years and not ONE was paid for. I quit after the last non-payer in 2016.

14. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well I am trying again, have relisted the car on eBay,

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Just out of curiosity, have you also listed it on FB Marketplace and the OfferUp app, at a fixed price?