Drum to Disc brake conversion - 1963 Ford

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by HotRodRacer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Has anyone performed a drum to disc conversion on an 62-64 Ford full-size, either Galaxie, Country Sedan/Squire? If so, did you purchase a kit? If so, which one? What do you like about it/dislike about it?

I am thinking of performing the swap on the 1963 Country Sedan. The kits range in price from $599 for an eBay special to $1200 or so for a complete Wilwood from Wilwood (Wilwood dealers are a little cheaper).

I don't want to short myself, but at the same time I don't want to spend money needlessly either.

Comments? Input?

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    All that should be needed for the conversion would be a vacuum booster, if there already isn't one there, dual master cylinder, plumbing, knuckles for the disc brake calipers and a metering valve. What I don't know is if later model original knuckles will replace the older ones you have. Certainly, someone here knows. Getting this stuff from a junkyard should be dirt cheap

3. 63Fowagon

63Fowagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Scarebird.com conversion kits .

4. HotRodRacer

Wagon Garage:
    Ivy, I would rather have a complete kit and pay extra for it than spend my time scrounging up everything needed. Thanks for the idea though.

Thanks 63Fowagon, I'll check the site out. Do you have personal experience with it or their kits?

5. HotRodRacer

Wagon Garage:
    Just an update on this - after a lot of research and talking to different people, I ended up getting a Leeds Brakes conversion kit for the '63. This was a true bolt on conversion that included everything, including the lines (many of the kits I looked at stated that you had to make your own lines for them). This is a four piston design and they use the rotors and pads from a 67 Mustang GT, which are readily available when the time comes to replace them. No clearance issues with my Torque Thrusts, either.

What a difference - power disc brakes stopping the car straight and true. I would highly recommend the kits to anyone looking. (I get no compensation from Leeds Brakes or anyone else for this review) :).

DiscSmall.jpg

Jairus likes this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    By "complete kit", does that mean that you converted over the rear drums also?

7. HotRodRacer

Wagon Garage:
    I did not - my complete kit was referring to everything needed for a front conversion. I plan to do the rear at some point when the brake shoes wear out. At least now when I panic brake the car doesn't want to go into the ditch on the right hand side.

8. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    rear disc wont make any huge difference in braking save your money . been there done that.

Grizz likes this.
  9. Ak_Eric

Ak_Eric Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    The '68 country sedan I picked up in feb had a mystery rear kit installed (as disks front stock) by the previous owner, and it's been nothing but trouble. The main issue is I live on the hill, and now there's no emergency brake: Does your kit allow for that hookup? I always have to chock it. In addition, I found out recently based on all sorts of braking issues that... one of my rear calipers was leaking. Since that's been replaced it's been a lot happier. But man, I'd think twice about doing this myself if I got another wagon.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Having an emergency brake is one of the first commandments of motor vehicle use. I can imagine that without having one, insurance claims can easily get voided, in case of an accident. I'm not sure exactly how it works there. But, certainly in Britain, if a vehicle without an emergency brake gets stolen and the thief ends up injured in an accident, the vehicle owner ends up supporting the thief.
    I can't imagine that a readily bought conversion kit wouldn't have an adapter for an emergency brake

11. Ak_Eric

Ak_Eric Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Talking with the shop, they said a lot of drum to disk conversions just leave the e-brake out of the mix. Which to me, I agree, is crazy, but I bought the car anyway. However, I've never heard any legality issue around it's absence, at least here in the states (CA).
    That being said, what does an e-brake have to do with an accident claim? If I have to hit the brakes and they fail, I doubt my brain is going to be fast enough to think "oh, go grab the e-brake" before I smash into that thing .25 seconds in front of me (and how much stopping power are just the rears going to do anyway at speed?). I thought they were mainly there to keep you from rolling down hills if the car decides to shift out of park (and thus my chocks).
    2c

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    They still call it an emergency brake. Playing the insurance industry's Devil's advocate, I'm just stating potential arguments, on behalf of the insurer, in case a freak accident of this type were to end up in court

13. HotRodRacer

Wagon Garage:
  14. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nothing wrong with leaving the drums on the back.
    Lions share of braking is done up front.
    Just change the rear shoes with something new and you will be amazed at the stopping power you have already with the new "Leeds Brakes" up front.

15. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't hate drum brakes, but servicing (heck even inspecting) discs is so much easier/faster it would be worth it to me. Nothing worse than sitting there for half an hour fighting to get a drum off.