Damages to '86 Colony Park

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by LeonLinton, Oct 21, 2021.

1. LeonLinton

LeonLinton Member

I got extremely close to doing so, too close maybe, but I think I may have been caught up in a stupor, where I only considered the cost of the car itself - instead of being sensible enough to realise until now that having a very large, 35 year old, 5.0L car as a new driver, without a garage and in a wet country nearly devoid of classic cars let alone exotic ones is a bad, bad idea.
    Since my epiphany of rationality, I have deemed it far more intelligent to buy a modern wagon for the time being and leave the great US classics for a future pastime!

2. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    LeonLinton
    You are probably wiser beyond your years, don't get me wrong I loved my Colony Parks, was going to get another 1 when my Audi A5 convertible got totaled out this past July, but boss said NO WAY so did the next best thing got a newer wagon, would have settled or a less expensive 2013-2015 MB wagon but boss said NO. Driving this 2017 E400 is a surreal experience and the boss likes it. Good luck and have fun on the journey.
    upload_2021-11-11_15-51-1.jpeg

LeonLinton likes this.
  3. LeonLinton

LeonLinton Member

Thanks so much for the compliment! That's a beautiful MB you have there! I've personally been looking at the C and E classes of the 2000s, as well as a 2010 Volvo V70. I have, however had a very close eye on a Ford Mondeo (which I don't believe was sold in the US until later as the Fusion) from 2012, which seems to be great value for money and has a mileage of 50k, something which is seemingly an impossibility for similarly aged and priced MBs and Volvos in the country! See attached some of the cars I am considering:

Screenshot_20211115-044914_Auto Trader.jpg Screenshot_20211115-045123_Auto Trader.jpg Screenshot_20211115-045626_Auto Trader.jpg Screenshot_20211115-045418_Auto Trader.jpg

60Mercman likes this.
  4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I love those Ford Mondeos. I wish they had been offered here in the US.

LeonLinton likes this.
  5. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Me too.

6. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Any of those would be a good choice, unfortunately here in the states they never brought the C-class wagon over since 2005, Canada yes USA no.

Side note on "older" Mercedes 2008 on - had a 2008 CLK50 Cabriolet - bought used with 28,000 miles - drove it for 7 years, did the required maintenance when it was called for - repairs in those 7 years - ZERO traded it in 2015 with 102,000 miles.
    Had a 6 year, 100,000 warranty - never used it
    Wife has a 2010 ML350 4matic - bought used in 2012 with 24,000 miles - again required service - now has 80,450 miles repairs total to date - about $2,000 - rear light wiring, passenger side mirror motor, drivers side window switches - plastic broke that's it. Again 6 year 100,000 warranty - they paid about $1,200 of the 2 grand - the rest we paid as the warranty ran out in 2018.

I'd say we are lucky - my Veterinarian bought a 2009 SL550 - in 2011 - ignition replaced twice; top motor replaced; parking brake replaced - his costs were over $4,000 - he had less than a year when he sold it.

good luck - keep us posted

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I think I have mentioned this on here once before, but since the topic of this thread has shifted that way I figured I would mention it again.
    I have never owned a Mercedes. My In-laws have owned several. I cannot speak to the "older" vehicles, only the roughly 2006+ variety.
    The Mercedes cars and SUV's that my In-laws have purchased have always been very nice vehicles, a couple of them even AMG's. I cannot speak from the perspective of an owner, but as you may have picked up on over time, when it comes to the vehicular life of my wife's family, I am quite involved.
    The Mercedes vehicles that they have owned over the past 15+ years have been mostly full of headaches, and they have owned quite a few. I would say that the vast majority of the issues have been of the electronic nature in some way or another. It's become my opinion that the only way to own a Mercedes vehicle is to have one that is still under factory warranty. At least that way when the problems arise they are mostly covered. The cost of repairs on these vehicles can be astronomical. If you are paying out of your own pocket (and aren't independently wealthy) they can be overwhelming.
    My Father-in-law loves his Mercedes vehicles. My Mother-in-law is over them. She went back to Ford and is currently driving an Edge ST. (and yes they are still married :LOL:)
    So, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy an older Mercedes wagon. I just think it's good to have lots of information. It makes for a better decision making process. And I might add that if you do buy a Mercedes, I certainly won't judge.
    Good luck and make sure you keep us posted on your progress!

LeonLinton and MAK like this.