Cruise Control, did you know

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by fannie, Mar 5, 2018.

1. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    that driving in the rain with you cruise control on could cause you to close control.

https://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

I never new this.

Cruise control is not an option that I use regularly, I prefer to do the driving not my vehicle.

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I'll admit, I did not open the link but I can understand why cruise would/could cruise you out of control in the rain.

I accidently hit the resume c/c on my blue Olds shortly after I got it, car just launched to resume speed I guess. Don't know what the last owner had it set for but gave me a heart attach as I was in slow city traffic.

I've never used cruise in my life, I also want to be in control of the throttle.

Only cruise control I have ever had and used was for my old VW BaJa bug. Got the idea from 4x4 guys.... keep a low constant throttle speed via hand pulled cable ( like a old school choke) for climbing bumpy crap terrain where due to the bumps you just could not keep your foot on the gas if you tired. One hand on steering wheel, other hand on the right or left, or middle lever for both hand pull brakes........ you didn't touch gas or front brakes with foot!

fannie likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    i do use the cruise....but very, very rarely. Has to be an open highway, with very little traffic. Worked well on my overnight runs back up here from So Cal....Just FLEW up the I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley.....

fannie likes this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Cruise control is no big deal on control, as long as you understand how to control the vehicle in regard to the cruise control. For example, if you start losing traction, you can press 'OFF,' and that cuts power to the controller, and the valve that holds the vacuum opens automatically, allowing the vacuum motor to relax. On newer vehicles with cruise that is run by the PCM, when you press 'OFF,' the PCM moves the stepper motor toward the idle position before it cuts the power to the circuits. So, as long as you remember that, and you maintain good, properly-inflated tires, you minimize the possibility of going into a slide/skid. Paying strict attention to your driving at all times also helps keep that possibility at bay.

fannie likes this.
  5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    How much time do you have to press off? I thought that by stepping on the brake pedal, this should automatically deactivate the CC. The only use I'd have for it would be to get me safely through interstate speed traps, back then, especially through Ohio.
    The scariest about having any sort of automatic pilot is to have it operating while asleep at the wheel where you would automatically ease your foot from the gas pedal

[​IMG]

6. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

When I'm on the highway I use my cruise control, it's way steadier than my right foot which always gets heavier the further down the road I am.

fannie likes this.
  7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Mine used to be immediately heavy. So heavy that it cost me my license, once

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Look at those weird rear axles on the 2cv! The French have to do everything different!

[​IMG]

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I didn't open the link either Fannie, but I agree that using cruise control in the rain is a bad idea.
    It was something that I was taught when I was learning to drive (I believe it was my Dad who explained it to me)
    Of the 4 vehicles I own only my Wife's car has cruise control.
    When I am on the highway in her car I often use the cruise control, especially on long trips. But if the weather turns inclement I always shut it off.

fannie likes this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Somebody has to. Maybe, they think everybody else's axles are weird. Just theirs not

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The French would think that. To answer your question, Ivy, it only takes a small split of a second, and you want to do that because applying the brakes with enough movement to fully open the dump valve could cause the brakes to lock up (unless you have an anti-lock system). Deactivation is much faster and much safer.

fannie likes this.
  12. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

The DS was said to be one of the best riding vehicles ever made. They know what they're doing on ride engineering. To answer the question, I very seldom use CC for reasons of wanting to be in better control of vehicle(attentive reaction time).

fannie likes this.
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    So best riding that they constructed the bodies as light as possible. Making them deathtraps in side collisions. In fact, if these follwing DSes were packed full of people, that austere bumpered Ford could be classified as a WMD