Comming soon to the Restoration Forum

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by tbirdsps, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I'm not a huge fan of the 3.8 V6 either but it's what I have so I don't have to puchase another car or engine and it is in good condition.

Andy, I'll just take the crossmember from the 86 and transplant to the 82. Since I need a new steering rack too it's all there.

If I had a Mustang GT hanging around I'd go that way. I'm trying to do this on "the cheap" so to speak. Most of this will be a bolt in operation except for the fuel tank which will take some modification in the rear. I may just have to lose the spare tire well to make it fit.

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey...I'm not knocking your plan at all, TB. You have the donor and it will be a fun project and I believe you will enjoy the new power plant. Go for it, have fun and post pix!(y)

3. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

I agree that the 302 is a proven and easy formula. I should know, I have one sitting here and have decided to NOT put it in the Fairmont. The little I-six is a great engine for a daily driver. But if tbird wants some more attention at that car show next year a 302 swap isn't gonna turn many heads. A supercharged V6 might. Didn't those come with superchargers?
    And the engine is from a t-bird...and his handle is t-bird....!:biglaugh:

4. tbirdsps

I didn't take your comments that way at all. But, with the V6 installed a future upgrade to 302 would be quite simple because the transmission bell is a V8 size bell as opposed to the inline six configuration. The 3.8 is basically a hacked off 302 with a slightly longer stroke. 232 cubic inches.

Swapping over the wiring harnesses will probably take more time than anything. I'm attempting the K.I.S.S method. Keep it simple stupid.:rofl2:In that vein I think I'll delete the front power windows idea. But I'll add a electric radiator fan. The 3.8 has a very noisy clutch fan. If you went of noise along you'd think that the engine was making about 550 hp.:yippee:

5. tbirdsps

They did in the MN-12 Tbird super coupes. Way too much in configuration deltas. I was eyeballing my wifes 92 with the 3.8. Way too hard for me. In a stock configuration the front accessory drives are much wider as the whole car is wider by about 10". Battery on the wrong side, radiator won't fit etc. etc. but those SCs really had some hp. Stonger cranks and rods too. About double the fuel pressure.

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  7. tbirdsps

Update #1

Well, after evaluating the 3.8 I'm going to stick with the 3.3 for now. Plans made are plans to change. This should eliminate a years work however. I'm hearing some noises from that engine that I don't like. More than a timing chain type of noises. Not knocking but mechanical noises in the bottom end. This will also eliminate the dash change and complete wiring harness change not to mention fitting a fuel tank that wasn't meant to be there. Not to mention the complete front suspension change.

Someday maybe I'll find a cheap Mustang 5.0. But, the paint and interior restoration will go forward. I was impressed at how smooth that inline ran today. A known entity is always better than the unknown.

I still have to replace the steering rack and now starter. The bearings are gone. Very very noisy. It's probably original.:)

Mild custom (no sheet metal work) with a refreshed interior. It's looking dated and the plastics are...rotting.

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The 3.8 is making grumbles?

9. tbirdsps

Yea. It's coming from the bowels of the engine. Could be timing chain but the sound is lower and aft. Maybe it's the beginning of a bearing getting loose. You can only hear it at idle. Definately a grumble.:biglaugh:It has an external oil pump so it's not that.

Looks like I'll remain an inline sixer.

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You could do worse. Did they ever offer the 2.3 I4 for the Cooga? Some of those were much hotter than the 3.3L. And a lot less fuel.

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like bottom end. Start it cold with out revving it and listen carefully. If it's bottom end you should hear it by doing this. Then listen with your head under the hood when still cold...should hear a slight thumping noise. Too bad, TB. I know you wanted to do it but it's sure better to find out now than after all that work.

12. tbirdsps

Maybe but I don't know. In any case the whole idea was to go with fuel injection. By the time that happened at Ford the engines were installed east and west vice north and south. The east/west engine can't easily be installed north and south. In addition the 2.3 version was carbed in the Fox chassis and they used the V engine K member.

I'll have to be happy with the I6. If I can't gain fuel injection and a jump in house power I see no point in going forward with that part of my project. :cheers:

13. tbirdsps

I'm thinking the same. It does it cold and at full operating temperature. I didn't even go forward with the compression check. I'm not going to replace a perfectly good engine with a questionable one.:49:

14. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

You can FI the I6 with one of Mike's aluminum heads from Classic Inlines.
    [​IMG]

15. tbirdsps

I'd love to but it's not permitted in California.