Building a Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 60Buick, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Nothing is foolproof as fools are ingenious."

That's later in the diorama....

Grizz likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Sqlartist--what exact scale ratios are you doing the wagons in?

3. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just read this whole thread! What a terrific story (except for the crash and troubles that ensued) but I loved the rest! I hope you’ve mad progress on your project. I did like the sidebar about rescuing that chevette. I’ve had several of them throughout my life so I know them pretty well. The link to the 427 powered chevette is cool. I’ve actually seen that car in person several years ago at englishtown swap meet. It is absolutely un belevable the detail on it. Many V8 powered chevettes are butchered up hacks but that one is perfect. Couple things I noticed were that although it was originally a factory air car the builder retained that look but it obviously doesn’t work. He went as far as putting a small piece if original tail pipe sticking out past the bumper to give the allusion of a stock 4 cyl....but once under the car i noticed the exhaust ended under the front seats! If you close the hood it looks completely stock.

4. U-WANT1

U-WANT1 Active Member

20201210_174806.jpg The OP's last post on this thread was not quite 2 months short of 2 years ago, and hasn't been on here since a month after that. I feel pretty confident that this thread is dead. :(

But since people like pics, and I don't really think this will be hijacking the thread, this is the car I was trying to sell him. It never happened, so I decided something needed to be done with it....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    OrthmannJ likes this.
  5. sqlartist

sqlartist Member

love your car. Its the best one I've seen. My diorama has taken shape and is progressing nicely. i even have the soundtrack from the film embedded in the base.

@Silvertwinkiehobo Im not sure what scale I have made it to, The car is about 3 inches so I am guessing its close to 1/48? I have versions in all sizes but this one felt comfortable to achieve and actually finish rather than talk about it

6. sqlartist

sqlartist Member

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Well, 1/4"=1 foot in 1/48th, so a three-inch car is twelve scale feet...not quite big enough. A 1/48th scale wagon would need to be 4 1/2" So, if it's 3", perhaps it's around 1/60th scale? 1/64th scale is 3/16"=1 foot, which would make a 3" car 16 feet. But, I really like how you're doing this, the jump, the 'dust,', the busted-assed car, it's really gonna be great when you finish it.

8. sqlartist

sqlartist Member

the car shown is 8.3cm so 3.2 inches and one other version I have is exactly 10cm or 3.9inches.

I also have one version that is 11mm or 0.43 inches that I want to make into a matchbox diorama. Thanks for saying that it really is good knowing people like it

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

It reminds me of a diorama a friend had done back in the mid-80s, of a Messerschmitt Me163 Komet rocket interceptor, as it was taking off and had already ejected the bogey off the plane. He had made a rocket plume, and had hidden the holding wires inside it. Looked very cool!