75 gran torino wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by mugzilla, Feb 16, 2013.

1. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Lots of pictures. Your looks great, I like that your planning to use it. Thanks:thumbs2: I'll be watching too. Keep us up dated.

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

That a boy :pub:

Hope ya don't mind, but I'm gona use that line the next time I hear...."Ya bout your wife a new..., Why are you allways driving old...."

I will have to ad....Because she is driving new, I can have alot of old.....:rofl2:

3. DocZombie

DocZombie Village Crazy

HEAR HEAR!!! Using an old car is the best for the environment!

4. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    Took the Wagon in for a radiator service. Remove caps and rod, they said it looked original. It's a 3 core but huge capacity. A desert cool fan without a fan clutch was on it, it runs so cool I will go with a clutch fan eventually. The core support had minor surface rust. All flashings and seals and shrouds were intact.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    I installed some Stang seats from Ecology @ $20/pair. They are light blue recline and are a good height. Discovered rust through in the right rear footwell and put in a piece of tin. Before I put a rug in I will prep floor, for now a used rug will have to do.
    [​IMG]

6. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    I am at a condo and have no room to work on the rust but when I went to an art store for heavy duty contact adhesive for the hood insulator I found some white duct tape. If you can't see the rust it's not there. Does anyone know if this is a '75 plate?
    [​IMG]

7. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    This body has poor side view mirror sight lines but this mirror seems to stick out enough.
    [​IMG]

This Rally Mirror will do till I find another bright one. More white duck tape.
    [​IMG]

8. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    This guy fixes cars like I fix cars. Good start!

9. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    I posted in the Gran Torino forum about the plates, but here's the meat of the article again, showing that 1970-1982 California plates were yellow letters on a blue background, and 1970 and older was the "black plate" era.

"History of the California License Plate

Basic information on 1963- present plates:

1963 was the last year a complete new plate issuance to all vehicles occured (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).
    1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.
    1976, year round registration started which requires a month expiration sticker afixed to the upper left hand corner of the plate.
    1982 is the year when the standard plate was changed to a white background with blue characters with a sun graphic and CALIFORNIA in red block letters. It was also the last year any blue/yellow plates were issued.
    1987, reflectorized plates with CALIFORNIA in red block letters were issued. The sun graphic was discontinued.
    1991, only reflectorized basic plates were issued.
    1993, the word CALIFORNIA was changed to red script.
    1997, stickers were made with background colors that change every year and characters printed in black.
    Basic plates issued from 1998 through 2000 contain the words SESQUICENTENNIAL - 150 YEARS in red block letters at the bottom of the plates.
    2001, the basic plate is white with blue characters and CALIFORNIA in red script. There is no writing at the bottom of the plate.
    2011, the department's web address, "dmv.ca.gov", is added to the bottom of the basic California red script license plate."

copied from http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/licenseplthistory.htm

10. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    Bought a parts car w/ a tailgate and blue interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to find a place to do my dastardly deeds. Not that easy a chore in los angeles.

11. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Way cool!

What's better than a Torino wagon???? TWO of course!!!!! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

12. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but I LOVE the look of the parts car, too! That looks like another keeper to me. Better condition than almost anything I've ever owned!

13. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    It's really straight and rust free but room is at a premium down here. The front dent is minor and the clips are still at pik-a-part.

14. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

That settles it. If Bertha dies, or I have room for a second car, I'm coming there and raiding the pick apart for a whole car to pick! I may do that anyway, if I find a Grand Marquis, especially a 2 door! Even with only 25,000 miles on the clock, Bertha has rust issues that your cars don't have!

15. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    You have to get them before pick a part. 78s are still happening. I'll keep an eye out.