66impala wagon

Discussion in 'Car Shows and Swap Meets' started by Jon Larson, Jan 2, 2013.

  1. Jon Larson

    Jon Larson Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2011
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    N.D.
    I have heard I am looking for a needle in a haystack but I have been looking for a 1966 Chevy impala station wagon, red on red, 9 passanger.
    Anything out there or advice to find one?
    Thanks.
    66 impala wagon
     
  2. occupant

    occupant Occupantius

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1,025
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    102
    Wagon Garage:
    4
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    With my experiences looking for vehicles the past few years, don't jump on the first deal you see for something close to what you want. The right deal will come available a few weeks later when you're knee deep in the other one and have no cash left.

    I started looking for an A-body wagon a couple months back. I found a couple I liked and was confident the next good deal was around the corner. Then I went to an impound auction and now I'm $750 into a 2001 Cavalier and it still doesn't start/run on its own without a jump and it still has a battery drain problem and a flat tire (that I already replaced) and the interior's a mess and I haven't even tagged or registered it yet.

    THE WEEK AFTER I bought this Cavalier, every Celebrity, Ciera, and Century wagon within 200 miles of here that wasn't already squished or sent to Mexico came up for sale on CL for $1500 and less. I could have had any one of them. Then I went and had a good week at the casino and had $1200 I could spend on one, and they were ALL gone. I was prepared to take a $300 loss scrapping the Cavalier to get one of them, too. But as quickly as they showed up they vanished!
     
  3. n2fordmuscle

    n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1,595
    Likes Received:
    104
    Trophy Points:
    183
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Jasper, GA
    Obviously, keep an eye on Ebay and Craigslist. Use SearchTempest to search Craiglist nationwide. Be willing to fly in, and drive it home, or have it shipped. Trying to find one local will most likely not happen. Find any Impala/Chevy forums and clubs, and monitor them. Place wanted ads on Craigslist and the forums.

    Good luck with your search.
     
  4. Jon Larson

    Jon Larson Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2011
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    N.D.
    66 impala wagon

    Thanks for the advic, it appreciated. I have not tried Tempest on Craig's List and definitely will.
     
  5. MikeT1961

    MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    Messages:
    5,782
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Location:
    , Ontario, Canada
    When you are looking for a specific make, model, trim, and colour combo, you will have to take the first one that you see, because you may not, ever find another! Back in the day, it seems a lot of people preferred the black interior, no matter the exterior colour, so finding the red could be the real challenge. I would hazard a guess that when you do find the wagon, the exterior may need paint, anyway. Grab one with the interior you want, and then be prepared to redo the outside the way you want. It will be easier than trying to find a hen's tooth in a hay stack.
     
  6. Jon Larson

    Jon Larson Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2011
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    N.D.
    66 impala wagon

    Thanks. As tough as it will be I expect that is what I will do. Frankly I have looked for this specific car for years and have had no luck. I even considered haveing one restored to spec from the ground up but it is way to much. I spoke to 2 restoraton shops and they both wanted $40k. I will keep looking and something will turn up.
     
  7. n2fordmuscle

    n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1,595
    Likes Received:
    104
    Trophy Points:
    183
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Jasper, GA
    One very cool thing that I just discovered on Google. You can go to Advanced search, then search on your text (ie 1966 Impala). And specify the site: craigslist.org

    I just tried it using "Ford LTD II", and found a whole bunch of LTD II's all over the country. This works much better than using that searchtempest site I had mentioned earlier.
     
  8. Jon Larson

    Jon Larson Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2011
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    N.D.
    66 impala wagon

    I am on it, thanks!
     
  9. Krash Kadillak

    Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Messages:
    21,109
    Likes Received:
    2,062
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Springfield, Oregon
    As others have said, it wouldn't be to hard to find a '66 Impala wagon. It's when you start narrowing down your search criteria that the odds get astronomical. In addition to the searching, I suggest joining up with any specific big-body Chevy forums out there. The more people out there know of your search, the more 'eyes' you have looking.

    You might also consider expanding your search to include the '65's as well, since they were fairly similar (Some say they're better looking wagons, since they have the 3 individual round tail lights on each side, whereas the '66 doesn't.).

    Ran across this - a 'red '65 in Santa Ana, CA - but the ad's 5 years old!
    http://www.layitlow.com/forums/15-vehicle-classifieds/165204-1965-impala-wagon-sale.html

    Correct make, correct year, correct color....... wrong size:
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/57871.html

    Also, Jon, this thread should be in our 'Wanted....' section:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

    Marshall
     
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. Dadstoy

    Dadstoy Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2013
    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    19
    Location:
    Ohio
    They are out there, Just hard to find. I sold a red on red 66 Biscayne wagon a few years ago. Pretty solid old car. It was a 6 CYL powerglide car. Guy in Cincinnati bought it. Never seen it again.
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page