'66 CSedan Door Panel Redo

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 66 Country Sedan, Sep 25, 2011.

  1. 66 Country Sedan

    66 Country Sedan New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Upstate SC
    Finally got around to reskinning my driver's side door on the '66. Since I've owned her,
    she's had an embarrassing, ratty door panel that greeted every entry...

    [​IMG]
    Larger, badly stained, rotted bottom with remains of the orig owner's duct tape "repair."

    About 3-4 years ago, I bought some junkyard interior parts from a '65 Galaxie 500,
    a tailgate panel from another, put 'em in the back of my wagon, and promptly
    forgot about them. (Figured one day I'd cut out the rectangle for the PW gang switch
    of the '65 trim card and try to make it work till I could find a '66 card in turquoise).

    [​IMG]
    Larger

    Then, a couple years ago a buddy picked up a used 2door Galaxie trim card in turquoise,
    and I thought, well, that's not going to do any good, thanks, but why bother?

    Starting work on the '66 PW's two weeks ago, the old '65 parts were still there in back,
    then I saw this '66 Custom 500 trim card on ebay and got to thinking. I could see the
    outline of the PW gang switch where the window crank hole was, and had a Eureka Moment.
    (I was ready to buy the ebay '66 card, and remembered the used '65 card in the wagon).

    [​IMG]
    Larger

    If all trim cards are precut, then I should be able to use the old '65 card, my 2door '66 "skin,"
    and make a decent trim card for my driver's door. (It's been a while since I've fooled with
    door panels). The kicker would be mating mating 2door upholstery to a 4door card.

    Sure enough, the leading edge of the 2door trim matched up perfectly, as did the holes
    for the vent crank, door handle and armrest. All I had to do was cut off the add'l length
    of the 2door trim at the back. The remote mirror hole was already diecut on the '65 panel,
    too, so I punched it out and the PW switch rectangle, and started skinning. The only
    glue was around the top of the cards and on the inside where the trim was stapled.
    The die-lectric bonded horizontal lines held the skin at the bottom, and came off easily
    with a little care.

    I slowly glued the trim's backside of the leading edge at the A-pillar, using 3M Trim Adhesive
    and clothespins to set the bond. Did the same at the top and along the ex die-lectric bond
    halfway down the bottom, then trimmed off enough of the end to wrap around and glue
    to the back. A Dremel tool removed the thick, bonded mylar horizontal trim piece at the rear
    edge, and some dark green vinyl dye (already on hand) covered up the cut nicely.

    The only cash outlay that day was $21.93 for the 3M adhesive, but I had 20 bucks on my
    Advance Auto card, so I spent $1.93 (not including the meager cost of all that old used stuff).
    The only real pain was removing the heavily-stapled window fuzzy and getting it back into
    place after the glue had set overnight.

    [​IMG]
    Larger

    The finished result won't win any awards for perfection, but it sure is nice to have this panel
    greet me, rather than the POS from before. More than once I was about to throw out that
    2door card with its nicer vertical woodgrained button, and called my buddy to thank him
    after my "new" panel was in place. Can't wait for him to see it!

    Thanks for listening and looking,
    TG
     
  2. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    Sure looks good from here!:yahoo:
     
  3. gray07

    gray07 New Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2010
    Messages:
    563
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    michigan city, indiana
    Looks great.
     
  4. snooterbuckets

    snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    3,742
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Cranford, New Jersey
    Wow, looks great 66 and congratulations on thinking out of the box and being so creative. Don't you love it when things work out?!!
     

Share This Page