'65 falcon 2 dr wagon resto

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 65falconwagon, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You tell him a Canuck sent you, if they don't respond, OK? :evilsmile:

2. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

I took out the windshield on my own and removed the vent ducts....wanted to show you all another great picture of that green dash....ditched the dry rotted rear tires @ tire kingdom (no charge but I tipped the guy)...I will just get some cheap roller tires and put them back on the rims so I can move the car if I have to ...the front tires should be ok

Attached Files:

3. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

today I got some replacement roller tires cheap at the salvage yard to get the wagon back on all four! BS'd with the owner for awhile and also got another contact name for some more parts.....took out the dash cluster today as well....since the outside bezel was damaged that will be thrown in the trash and I already have a replacement....funny thing is the dash cluster wasn't even hooked up wire wise....thank god I have a wiring diagram to learn off of when I have to hook everything back up again

Attached Files:

4. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

today I tackled the cowl, removing the green paint off of the upper dash, and cleaning things up.....the pictures tell the story especially the driver's side vent that was plugged with yes, spray expanding foam that is used to fill cracks....passenger side had a chicken wire metal to keep out the leaves....anyway I cleaned up the upper part of the dash by using the old reliable aircraft remover....came out pretty good! I ended up using the Harbor Freight spot weld cutter on the cowl which only cost me $10 (bought 2) and 1/8" drill bits to make the initial hole......it is a tedious task on working on the cowl as there are alot of spot welds that are hidden

Attached Files:

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Fine job! I don't recall where I saw it, HotRod Mag or a Mustang Magazine, but it was a 1965 Mustang with the same vent issue. Anyway, Fairmonts without AC have the same problem. With AC, they run the vent to the passenger side, behind the PVC wheelwell and under the fender. No rust. My car had the AC setup, but the Donor car (Engine and trans) had the same as yours and it was toast. The big difference is the heaterbox layout. Everything is positioned the same, as far as mounting the box, except that the air intake goes to the side.

Where did the car get its fresh air from, if that was plugged up?

6. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

Hey Stormin Norman,

I am thinking that this car turned into a lot of wishes and not doing when it came to finishing things......am also thinking that this car sat for a long time even though it had the t-5 and 302...my sentiments on the cowl vent....some of the guys are actually welding up the driver's side vent completely and leaving the passenger side open....just depends on what ever your choice is....I just look at this way if the factory made those vents there is a reason....however ford and the factory weren't too bright on letting the metal remain unpainted.....the falcons have the cowl vent assembly latch door which mounts on the bottom of each cowl vent....there is a lever that you push/pull on the dash to let cool air come in and also helps with heat

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Right, you Floridians only get a touch of frost up north. So the side vents are just fine. Got ya.

The mustang repair had a sheetmetal cap opened on the perimeter to let air into the heater. So did the donor fairmont. They often 'melted away', because as you pointed out, they weren't even primed or painted. I'd do an aluminum one and end that vicious cycle.

8. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Andy, you have to wonder how Monty's cowl opening looks. I'm glad Mabel came with AC. Bone dry inside.

I had a 1963 Comet with that system, and I knew the heater rad had a pinhole, but it never leaked until that cowl vent gave into the rust. Windows were always foggy.

10. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

got most of that ugly ass green paint off of the dash.....will probably sandblast when the time comes!

Attached Files:

11. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

2 less parts to get for the wagon.....yippeeee! the stock 2 spoke steering wheel came in along with the shift lever from Fed Ex this am

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That'll trim the weight down! :evilsmile: I know how you feel. I just got some new map pockets from TBird this week.

13. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

unfortunately had to take some time off from the project as life unfortunately has happened again.....also trying to build a business takes up a lot of time! Anyway thinking of tackling the roof situation again....I was wandering if I should just cut off the roof skin first and keep the ribs in place until I get the replacement roof in.....my reasoning is that I don't want to mess with the structural integrity and thinking that the bodyshop would be good to handle that....of course I am looking at it this way by saving some $ by cutting off the roof skin myself around the edges....the roof skin actually has alot of good metal on it that I can use to redo my torque boxes (since there are no repros)

14. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

I gave a call to classic auto air here in Tampa, FL and they gave me a quote of about $500 to refurbish the a/c system for my falcon.....they were telling me to get a hold of a v8 clutch for a core charge as these are getting hard to find....here is a picture of the story behind this a/c unit....pictures don't tell any lies.....How can people treat a vehicle like such crap get me?

Attached Files:

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    ....oy....:slap: