62 Falcon Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by herb, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great job! That paint was put on with a roller? What kind? Did you have to wet-sand it?

2. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

I would really re-think the 6 cylinder engine completely. If your are going away from stock in the first place, I would think more of a nice little 289 or 302 V-8. They drop right in there, and with a 5 speed overdrive transmission, the fuel economy will be better than with the 6 cylinder and 4 speed. Then there is the lovely, classic sound of a nice little Ford V-8 coming out of that classic Ford long roof.

3. herb

herb New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike, i hear what you're saying! Had thought of a v8 but think i would really have to uprate the brakes and suspension, whereas with a slightly bigger 6 they would probably be ok? I know you can adapt various Ford discs, axles etc using junkyard parts but finding those bits is a bit more difficult over here... Paint was put on with a gloss roller, pretty cheap to do in paint and rollers etc but very time consuming. Probably have 4 coats on, each wet flatted between, 400 1st coat, 600 2nd up to 1200 for the last and will need another i think. There are loads of websites and blogs for roller painting cars, one of the most informative is Stormin Normans on this forum. Well worth a read.

4. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

When it comes to brakes, suspension, etc., remember, parts are dead easy, anywhere, when talking about a Falcon. Think Mustang and you are away to the races. They are the same car under the skin, so parts are easy, and fairly inexpensive. The biggest difference in the factory cars between V-8 and I-6 was that the 6 cylinder models used 4 lug wheels, and the V-8 cars used 5 lugs. You can easily stay with the 4 lug wheels, but if you want to upgrade to front discs, changing to 5 lug is easier in the long run.

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    hey herb...look inot puttin a early T5 out of a Mustang in it....you'll think someone put a V8 in it....and there are disc conversions for the 4 bolt too:thumbs2:

6. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Awesome....
    falcon_037.jpg

7. psshhhht

psshhhht New Member

love the old falcons mate, that looks fantastic!