2010 Custom Longroof

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by RMay, Jan 29, 2017.

1. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice to hear from you again RMay! Looks like your nomaro project is shaping up nicely! Great thread, can't wait to see some more!.... Longroofs Rule!

2. VTWAGONLOVER

VTWAGONLOVER Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is AWESOME!!! Keep up the great work - can't wait to see it done! I saw this GM Prototype in 1999 - reminds me of this a lot!!!
    [​IMG]

The stainless strips on the lift gate are also a must! I had these made by McMullen Rod & Custom and they did a great job!
    [​IMG]

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  3. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^^Sorry to get so excitable - I love projects like this!!!

4. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with you on the tailgate strips.
    The 1954 Waldorf Corvette Nomad concept was my first inspiration for a custom wagon. After a lot of measuring and checking out available cars and donors it convinced me to take a different path. My first Wagon build became a reverse build by turning a 56 Chevy 2dr Wagon into an Elcamino. It was not a Nomad but I did add some 58 Chevy tailgate strips because I liked the look and also like to confuse people.
    My 66 Malibu Wagon build is still on the back burner. This one is a one of a kind 2dr conversion with Nomad side slider windows and of course stainless tailgate trim. It will be appropriately named 66 NOMAD.
    I chose to complete the 2010 first because there is no major mechanical work to be done. I am still looking for a damaged Camaro trunk deck so I can cut the front edge and graft it to the lower part of Magnum hatch. it will leave me with a small surface but I definitely have plans to add some tail gate strips that will fit with the cars name which is NOMARO.

IMG_0712.JPG DSC00119.JPG untitled.png DSC00859.JPG untitled.png

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    Have you had the '56 at Syracuse? I feel like I've seen that car!

6. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, the 56 has been to Syracuse several times. In 2013 it was a Designer Dozen nominee.
    0721121256.jpg

1tireman and ModelT1 like this.
  7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I'm so excited I may have peed a little!:biglaugh:Even my 55 Chevy wagon has Nomad quarters where rust used to be. I wished later I'd added tailgate strips because people have actually argued and called it a Nomad. I don't confuse people. Most are already confused.

8. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    Thought I remembered it - I took pictures of it but can't lay my hands on them at the moment. Anyway, great car and eager to see your next project!!! I'll look for you at Syracuse this summer...:thumbs2:

9. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    After lifting the top on and off way too many times I finally started welding it into position. With a friends help we were able to hammer in the Camaro body lines into the Magnum roof section. The channel for the roof strip also had to be moved to line up with the Camaro roofline. The top is looking good so I moved inside to work on the roof cross brace and inner structure that ties the two roof sections together. Lots of cutting grinding and welding which reminded me how much I dislike welding upside down. A few new holes in my clothes and some sparks that found their way onto my arms and down my gloves.
    Took a break and moved back to the outside and finished the upper window frame on both sides. I also made a new position for the stock Camaro antenna on the roof. I will need to extend some of my wiring since I will have to now go around the larger side window openings.
    I was excited to see many of the interior trim pieces from the 2 cars still fit in their original locations. They do require some cutting and modification around the window openings. I have enough pieces to hopefully mold in the shapes I need and will probably end up covering them with a material that matches the rest of the interior.
    Still looking for a scrap trunk deck to cut the piece I need to complete my rear hatch. I am now preparing to cut and form the B-pillar body panel, finish the side and lower portion of the window channels and finish welding the back part of the roof. At some point I will be going back inside the car again to finish the inner structure fabrication and welding.
    As careful as I was to move the wiring harnesses out of the way, I still managed to hit a couple wires that I will have to now splice back together.

DSC00899.JPG DSC00900.JPG DSC00915.JPG DSC00917.JPG DSC00918.JPG DSC00920.JPG

1tireman likes this.
  10. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    Looks great!!!

wagoninsane likes this.
  11. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Rmay , your project looks to be coming along nicely! Thanks for all the pictures and updates! This is going to be one awesome longroof!....Longroofs Rule!, Deane

12. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Wow your Camaro conversion is coming a long great and it's going to throw a lot of people off

13. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
  14. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

HOLY COW! Now that is wicked!!!!! Awesome conversion! :bowdown:

15. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welding on the top and side window openings is finally done and the first finished body work has begun. I am now doing the rest of the fabrication on the rear hatch and found a way to fit the original Magnum hatch weather strip to my modified hatch. I just have to make sure I stay one step ahead of the body work that my friend Tim is helping with. I also still have some minor fabrication work to do inside the car but that can be done last before the windows get installed.
    It is exciting to see how this project is coming together. Making a list for another trip to the junkyard for a few parts I might need. I guess the year or more of measuring and planning my design is paying off.

DSC00948.JPG DSC00952.JPG DSC00953.JPG

1tireman likes this.