2 door wagon article

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Articles' started by Jim 68cuda, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Interesting read about 2 door wagons. Someone posted the link to the article over on the For C Bodies only website.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto...t-and-odd-life-of-the-two-door-station-wagon/

I didn't read the entire article, but found myself disagreeing with parts of it, especially the conclusion that the 2 door wagons were a commodity that Americans didn't know they needed. The article implies that anything less than 4 doors on a wagon would be impractical.
    They mention the Jeep wagon as the first 2 door wagon. Personally, as today, I would class the Jeep wagon as more of a truck than a car. The Chevy Suburban would be in the same class, and the Suburban was around in the 30's and was also a 2 door model.
    For me the first real 2 door wagons were the 1949 Plymouth Suburban all steel 2 door wagon (my parents bought one new as their first car after they were married) and the 49 Ford and Mercury 2 door woody wagons.
    Actually 2 door wagons were quite popular in the 50's. Remember that cars didn't have seat belts, there were no real child safety seats and no child proof door locks in those days. On any 4 door wagon or any 4 door sedan back in those days, there was nothing to prevent a 2 year old in the back seat from opening the door at 60 miles an hour. As wagons became a popular choice for families, 2 door wagons were the wagon of choice for safety minded families with small children. Remember that prior to 49, most Chrysler product 4 door sedans still had the back doors hinged at the rear "suicide doors". Moving the rear door hinges to the front was a big move towards safety simply because it would be aerodynamically more difficult to open the rear doors at speed with the hinge at the front. The mindset of the car buying public was that two doors were alot safer then four doors if you had small kids who were likely to mess with door handles while riding in the back.
    By the mid 60's there were childproof locks and seat belts in the back, which made the 2 door wagons obsolete, until the "subcompact" Vega and Pinto wagons came along.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Jim. An interesting article.

3. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim. Very interesting, to say the least. My folks bought a brand new '59 Ford Country Sedan and with four boys ranging in age from 2 months to 9 years, my mom insisted on a two door. I remember when we traded it in for the '63 Country Sedan, both my parents were elated at how convenient having those two back doors were. Oddly enough, they did get after market seat belts installed, but only two of them in the front seat, leaving us little ones untethered. Hmm. Wonder if they were trying to tell us something?!!

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree Jim...most of its hooie:rofl:

5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Well HOOIE on you! I've always loved all vehicles 2-door. Mostly for the looks but with little kids we also felt safer.
    Later I bought a Model T- 4-door touring and a 1933 Chevy 4-door. Not that I liked those body styles. They were what was available at the time of trading.
    Even more odd, now I've been driving a quad cab pick up since 2004. Oh what have I become?:cry:
    I still like a 2-door, or actually a 2-door hardtop best.
    2-door wagons look nice.

6. martyanderson10

martyanderson10 Save A Wagon

I found another error in the article. They say that Mercury was the ONLY 4 door hardtop wagon. They forgot about the Buick Cabilleria (spelling)

7. just me

just me Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't forget about the Dodge and Chrysler 4dr hardtop wagons. I just wish they had also offered a two door hardtop wagon.

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I think most of us prefer a 2-door of most vehicles for looks. But would rather have a 2-door hardtop or the best choice a 2-door convertible. I've also always liked 4-door hartops of most makes, especially station wagons.
    Here's a brainthought...... How about a 2-door station wagon convertible?

9. modrisco

modrisco New Member

Two door wagons are geat looking but its a pain to let people in and out of the back seat.

10. finsrin

finsrin Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I knew about Mercury 2dr hardtop wagons.
    Buick 2dr hardtop is complete surprise.
    Is that first class body mods or production build ?

11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just responding to a post with no answer.....from 8 years ago.....

That '64/'65 yellow 2-door Buick Sportwagon in the article is a custom job, done by an owner. Lots of pics on the internet showing it.

12. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Leaving their own practical use down to deleting glass for offering them as sedan deliveries.
    Stripping down the following Studebaker makes this wag even more appealing, given that chrome accenting highlighted this otherwise quality-built vehicle's ugliness, methinx. Toning it down this way gives it a more value for your money appeal

Wagstudgödlök.jpg