1988 mercury colony park -Drum brakes-

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 12ozMouseBoner, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Your drums need to be true round to work correctly, and then, by your description, it sounds like you may have a hydraulic problem causing the brakes to stay engaged. My Bronco, Eddie, had RWAL ABS, and for whatever reason, the isolation valve would engage, causing the brake fluid to stay pressurized in the rear circuit, and smoky brakes followed. the pressure would eventually bleed off, but i had had enough and deactivated the RWAL. No more dragging rear brakes.

So, you need to get the rear axle off the ground, and have someone start the engine, run it in gear, and press the brake pedal. If it hydraulically locks up, the rear wheels will stop turning easily, and will take engine power to overcome the friction. I'd start with turning the drums round, or replacing them, then doing that.

2. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

Ok so, the drum brake that im having isssues with is getting worse. I'm having to re-adjust it every morning now, it gets so tight i cant go forward. But it only does this when it gets cold

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Funny, my dad's '90 F150 has the same problem; what I found (and will be replacing this weekend) is the anchor cables are too stretched, so the pawl that holds the starwheel hangs down, and won't hold the starwheel in place. I'll post pics tomorrow or Monday.

4. 12ozMouseBoner

huh, might get a new wire and starwheel. probably a good idea anyways, it was pretty seized up before I got to it.

5. 12ozMouseBoner

oh btw, I remember a while back that one of you lovely folks recommended that I should replace a certain anchor peice. It is made of nylon and connects to the trans cable or something. If it disintegrates then my transmission will shit itself. Could one of you gents remind me what that peice is?

6. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    12 oz
    here is hat you are looking for:
    Ford AOD transmission TV cable bushing brass replacement - original OEM part is nylon, it can break with NO NOTICE and you transmission will self destruct - Even if it looks new - REPLACE IT - part is cheap - Replaced mine on the 85 CP immediately - didn't even ask if it needed it - just did it

7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Mak, didn't you replace yours with a brass fitting?? I'd like to get one of those. Mouse, this is for the over drive cable, right next to the throttle cable. If it goes out the car will no longer go into over drive, your rpm's will sky rocket and you will know something is wrong when it happens. If it does happen and you continue to drive the car, like say just to get home you risk burning up the over drive band in your trans. And you'll have to pull it all out to rebuild it. This happened to me pretty much right after I got my cp

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yeah, that cable is the throttle valve cable. The grommet it fits into does eventually dry out (not to mention the end of the cable is breakable plastic!), and will wipe out your AOD in short order.

9. 12ozMouseBoner

sso i assume both ends of the cable use the same type of ggrommet, right?

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

No, the lower end has a ball-and-socket to couple it to the TV lever. Do not confuse it with the 3-speed trans 'kickdown lever;' those have a dowel with a groove to attach the 'kickdown rod', and both ends are attached the same.

11. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For less than 30 bucks you can get a brass replacement - Grizz - yes I replaced with brass -

12. 12ozMouseBoner

Do you have a link for the bottom end piece?

13. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ford Aod Transmission Tv Cable Bushing Brass Replacement on 2040-parts.com
    US $11.99

This is the upgraded brass bushing from Ford Motor Company. The part is NEW and unused. The brass bushing is the replacement for the nylon plastic bushing that commonly fails on the throttle valve cable at the throttle body. Each bushing does come with the retaining pin.
    • 1987-1993 Mustang LX & GT 5.0
    • 1987-1993 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar 5.0
    • 1987-1991 Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0
    • 1987-1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0
      Find or Sell any Parts for Your Vehicle in USA
      [​IMG]
      http://www.2040-parts.com/ford-aod-transmission-tv-cable-bushing-brass-replacement-i900726/
      Rock Hill, South Carolina, US

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Return policy details:20% restocking fee on all parts ordered in error. No returns after 14 days. Returned good are not eligible for refund of shipping charges. Items sent with free shipping are refunded minus our original shipping cost. Please inspect all shipments for damage immediately upon receipt. Damage during shipment needs to be reported immediately, in order to file a claim with the shipping company. No return on electrical parts. Warranties are for replacement only, exclude all labor cost, and will be handled through the individual manufacture. Refund will be given as:Money Back Item must be returned within:14 Days Returns Accepted:Returns Accepted Return shipping will be paid by:Buyer Restocking Fee:No Part Brand:Ford Motor Company

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

FREE SHIPPING anywhere in the U.S. via USPS Mail. Shipping anywhere else is available, please email me with your address to get a total. Email me with any questions

14. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    for the rest of what you are looking for - try these guys
    https://ford-aod.com/about-us/
    Welcome to PATC Transmission Mega site, We Ship Worldwide
    Transmission Questions, Toll Free Worldwide 1-888-201-2066, 1-318-742-7353 Ask for Sales

if that doesn't do the trick - let me know, have a mechanic - only works transmission ( Dealer recommend him - they thinkhe is the best ) and I'll ask him