1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. jschwartz74

jschwartz74 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Classic Auto Mall had someone put a deposit on it and when they came to look at it decided to pass. It was back for sale Monday and today it is sold. Curious what it sold for...

2. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    jschwartz
    apologize for not getting back to you, as I don't currently own a wagon I am not on the forum as much.
    From my listing a couple of years ago
    Mechanically the car is in terrific condition, in the past 2 years this is a broad overview of the work that has been performed ( replaced with new); AC has been converted, most hoses, gaskets, seals have been replaced, Starter, solenoid and battery have been replaced, tires replaced with Firestone 710, Spark plug wiring and distributor replaced, radio replaced with Kenwood Bluetooth KDC BT368u detachable face with 13-digit LCD display and variable-color illumination (kept original radio), Original speakers replaced with Kicker speakers. Doors lock (3) and window (2) actuator's replaced. Clock replaced (used ? new no longer avail). Current Virginia state inspection.

Gaskets, Seals & Trans - intake manifold; valve covers, head, oil pan, thermostat, all brake lines replaced with stainless steel, transmission removed, inspected, all seals and gaskets replaced, Shift lever - alignment parts replaced. Exhaust replaced at 55,000 miles (2016)
    Rust on rear pass door was on the bottom edge, lip did not go into wood grain, rust on front pass door - was a hole that I repaired, just cleaned to bare metal treated and patched, did not cut out steel and replace. there is a post on here that shows what I did to the doors

Dash was cracked when I got the car, there was no damage to the rear or 3rd seat when I owned the car, back seats looked new. Front seats - leather was cracked no thru but deep. I re-dyed the front seats.

The bottom of Spare tire well had completely rusted out, took surrounding metal to bare, treated with KBS 3 step; pop riveted new sheet metal, primed, painted and undercoated.

• Believe the guy that I sold it to replaced the brake calipers, rotors and pads - they needed to be done, brakes would lock up in a New York minute. I don't think he drove the car more than a couple of hundred miles in the year or so he owned it.
    again apologize for the delay, I loved this car, but even with that, this car is NO WAY worth 13 grand. If I sold it today in the condition that the pictures state I would sell for 8 grand and take 7.
    so if you lost the car to someone that paid more than that - be thankful

markfnc likes this.
  3. jschwartz74

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. I agree, 13.9k is pretty high. There’s a white one that was in the south a few years back that sold this February for 10k in that is now in PA I think that is listed for almost 17k and that is a “no haggle” price. It’s super clean but still. Guess they know something I don’t. Lol.

4. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    jschwartz

If you are looking for an 80's wagon - any brand, be careful on low mileage cars, while the 85 CP was a nice car, replacing most of gaskets and seals, because they just dried out over the years from no use, can be rather pricey. parts cost are next to nothing but to get to those gaskets and seals required a good deal of labor. I was not blessed with mechanical skills nor was I eager to acquire them at my age, so I had other's perform those tasks. In total I spent over $4,000 to have all of them replaced. Read your post on price of wagons, yes the prices have gone up in the past 2 or 3 years, mostly due to they are getting very hard to find in reasonable condition.

3 or 4 years ago R&M auctions in Monterey CA sold a 1989 Colony Park with 21,000 miles on it, it was an Arizona/Calf car, it was flawless, it went for $9500. I have used that as a benchmark for pricing, So my old car at 13 grand - NO nice but flawed

5. jschwartz74

Wagon Garage:
    Well unfortunately MAK's old Colony Park that sold for $13K in April from Classic Auto Mall in PA has been in an accident. I just found it on Copart in South Carolina. :( I recognized it as I had been one of the people bidding on it when it was on Ebay as well as tried when moved to the Auto Mall too. Looks like it got enjoyed a few more miles since April at least.

Attached Files:

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a damn shame........

7. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm crying!
    When the Audi was totaled really wanted to get another 80's Colony Park or Electra wagon and have it redone, suspension, brakes, engine, etc. to get it to drive like a new car. But the boss said absolutely not!