1981 Holden Commodore Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by DaveNz, Jan 19, 2013.

1. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Headlights & Stage 3 chip arrived today so some more bit's for the collection, rapt with the new headlights they look real good. Will track down a Tv repair shop to get this chip soldered in & see if it makes any difference, cam change will be coming at some stage soon. Will get the exhaust all sorted soon to just doing abit on my Vl at pres, splitting my time between the 2. Well i'll keep this updated as i go(y)

2. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    sounds like warp speed soon...:)

3. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Cheers....It'll never be a rocketship but it should go quite good for what it is, i'm aiming for as much bottom end torque as i can get out of it:party5:

4. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Bit of an update on this, got the exhaust sorted to the diff at pres, got stuck into it last week. Welded some flange plates up front then tucked the system up as close to the floor as i could as this old girls seriously low, it's going to be a full 2.5 inch system.
    The muffler i've used is a straight through number, i have a coby i might use on the tail system yet. She sure sounds good at pres - well i no you guy's like pics so here you go(y)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

I'll put up a few pics of what i've been upto on wagon number two, to explain the later model wagons windscreens are glued in & they're a true rust trap so i cut the screen out of it. Luckily with this one i caught it at the surface rust stage, so i cleaned it all up & welded up the 2 moulding holes at the top. Will be putting in an early model screen & rubber, bit of messing around to do it but well worth the trouble in my book. Had to modify the dash top but new that from the Vc so was an easy sort.
    Just need to glue the roof lining back round now & fit the screen & seal her up, will be painting this one silver with black round the windows - well heres a few pics :2_thumbs_up_-_anima
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Oz64Wagon

Oz64Wagon New Member

Good save Dave - should be right for another 30 odd years.

7. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Yeah i was lucky with this one, totally rust free & to think i saved it from the derby. Shes a lucky wagon, putting a Vk windscreen & rubber into it so yeah she'll be sweet:yup:

8. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Went & picked up another parts wagon today, last one i'll be grabbing to wreck unless something special turns up. Finally got the front seats i was after, top half of the rear seat should scrub up but dought the base will. Good thing is car bases fit so should be able to track one down if need be - i no this much this wagon is the perfect wrecker. Every little bit i need for this & the Vl i'm doing is all on this one so $150 well spent:thumbs2:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Thought i better update this, havent really touched the white one in a while. Got the exhaust sorted to go over the diff is bout all i've done.....
    Been getting stuck into wagon number 2 whilst the weathers good as i'm working on that 1 outside, i'm going to be doing wagon number 2 in Satin Black & looking into doing some airbrushing as well. Been going hard on the passenger side so far & made a start on the interior in the back a few weeks ago, both back exterior handles have been welded up plus the passenger door lock. Welded up the factory holes for the side mold - plastic rust traps so glad they're gone, just the sill to wet sand & strip the front bumper & lights etc off the front so i can hook into that....
    Well i'll chuck up a few pics off progress so far:thumbs2:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Well made myself get my sorry ass out to the shed today & actually do something on the Vc, so far i've sorted out the exhaust to over the diff & welded another section on to give me a straight run to the rear. Just the tail section to weld on next. The hole systems done in 2.5 inch with the one straight through muffler so it should sound mint, once i get it fully welded just have to get a gasket for the collector & get those 3 broken studs out of the head then that'll be the exhaust ticked off the list. The oldman let me no a trick to get those out so will get to those soon, basically weld a nut to the broken stud & ease it out . So that's the next mission.
    Also while shes in the air i'm going to finish the rear of her - new tank going in plus fuel pump as the one i got leaks, got the new shortened shocks to fit & the adjustable panhard bar. Will try do all that this week , after that i 'll probably do that last bit of rust i've been putting off. Well better go do some more - heres a few pics:)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like the GM sister car to the US Chevy Cavalier, or a German Opel Kadett. Used to see a LOT of the Cavalier wagons in the US, but one day, it seemed they all went away!

Pretty neat project you have there!

12. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Cheers for that & yeah the German Opel is the same shell pretty much, same thing over here to. These used to be everywhere but these days you see the odd one driving around if your lucky, bout time i finish this one i reckon.
    Heading out to the shed soon to do some more:)

13. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Bit more done today - dropped the old crappy petrol tank then finished the exhaust pretty much, just have to make a rear bracket to support it but that's an easy sort for tomorrow. Ended up putting a coby at the end as was a perfect fit in there, well heres a few pics. Will update as i go......(y)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Haven't done much been pretty busy last couple of days but managed to get something done today, got the tank & pump out of the wreck i've got here. Will give it all a scrub up & replace all the hoses before i chuck it in - as the pics show what hoses aren't busted are badly perished so i'll sort all that, probably pull the in-tank pump out & check that rubber joiner to just to be on the safe side......
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. DaveNz

DaveNz Active Member

Well after a lot of thought & some people in my ear over the last year or so about my engine choice i finally gave in when a mate scored me a complete Vp with 171 k's on the clock for $350 so i bit the bullet & sold the rb & started collecting some goodies.
    Hoping to get the V6 Conversions loom this week then in a few weeks chuck it all in the hole once i finish & paint the engine bay - scored another 200k engine yesterday for $250 as well with a good set of flows & full 3 inch system. Moving that engine on & keeping the exhaust & flows so yeah big changes, think at the end of it i'm going to be all the happier for doing this & going with the 3.8......
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]