1980 Buick Century Estate Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Apr 23, 2017.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Both the car and the price seem pretty nice. Seems like all of these except the plain-sided Malibus have gotten pretty rare -- especially those in good condition and with woodgrain. I'd be curious to know which engine it has.

Today these are all known as G body cars in GM parlance. Why do I seem to recall that from '78 to '81 they were referred to as A bodies and that it wasn't until '82 that the A body appellation was transferred to the new front wheel drive intermediates (Celebrity, 6000, Cutlass Ciera, Century) and the rear drive mid-sizers were rechristened G bodies -- a classification previously used only for the personal luxury coupes (Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc.)? Anyone out there fluent in GM-speak and with a good memory for the early '80s?

3. Brad

Brad Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    You are exactly correct. That is exactly what happened...A-bodies switched to G-bodies after the bru-ha-ha when GM wanted to axe the "old" A-bodies. GM reconsidered and re-christened the former A-bodies as G-bodies as they had already called the "new" front wheel drive cars A-bodies. Same basic thing happened when Ford kept the Fox body Mustang when they had planned to replace it with the "Probe" (hated that name, BTW..).

4. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know a little about gm products, but I don't remember much from the early 80's, just finishing my high school daze!???Longroofs Rule!